Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Combat In Oblivion: A Rebuttal to Penny Arcade

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href=http://www.penny-arcade.com>Penny Arcade</a> recently watched a demo of TES4: Oblivion in action and they had some fairly crappy things to say about the game's combat system:<blockquote>[Combat] is my exact problem with Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, too. Understand that we're talking about a game whose prisons, homes, and forests might as well be real places, for all their visual fidelity. It's better than you hoped. The stone wall in the first room was so beautiful I thought I would cry, screenshots of the game are absolutely worthless as a means of conveying it. I liked Morrowind, as you might recall - I had a Tiger-Man in there I was quite fond of - but the combat is philosophically identical in Oblivion, which, you know, whatever. I doubt it's a problem for most people. What I'd hoped was for the conflict in Oblivion to make the same kind of leap that Tamriel itself had - more elaborate means of dodging, special tactics, timed attacks, parries, ripostes, etcetera. Richness. It's hardly going to make me leave it on the shelf, but I can see where the experience goes from here and I'd just like to go with it.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I felt a lot of dismay having read that, but it appears that Penny Arcade was just talking out of their ass. Here's just what MrSmileyFaceDude had to say at <a href=http://www.duckandcover.cx>Duck & Cover</a> in rebuttal to Penny Arcade's claim above that the combat in Oblivion was no different than that of Morrowind's.
<br>
<blockquote>They didn't play it. Combat in Morrowind had no variety and no strategy -- you just clicked as fast as you could. You COULD choose different attacks (slash, chop, or thrust) by pressing a directional key while you attacked, but that was pointless because there was always a "best" attack, and a checkbox in the options to always use that best attack.
<br>
<br>
In Oblivion, there are many attacks. You have standard attacks, where you click the attack button, and power attacks, where you hold the attack button. Power attacks do more damage, but take longer to perform and burn more fatigue. If you press a directional button while doing a power attack, you can select different power attacks. And you earn more attacks (plus perks like a chance to knockdown or disarm) as your skills get better. But the control scheme stays the same, so you don't have to do Soul Calibur like button combos to access them.
<br>
<br>
There are also more animations for the standard attacks, and you can string them together by pressing attack again while your character is following through after a strike. Plus, the animations are always appropriate for the type of weapon. No more thrust attack with a hammer, for example.
<br>
<br>
Blocking is now active -- you hold a button to block. And you can block with your weapon or even your hands (although neither is as effective as blocking with a shield). If you block a strike, your opponent's weapon may recoil, giving you an opportunity to attack.
<br>
<br>
You can also cast spells at any time. In Morrowind you had to "ready magic", which meant unequipping your weapon and raising your hands into the "casting position". In Oblivion you just press the casting button.
<br>
<br>
It all makes combat much more dynamic and adds a strategic element that simply wasn't there in Morrowind.
<br>
<br>
While you, the player, still control combat -- i.e. how you move around, whom you are targeting, when you attack, block & cast -- your level of success is still dependent upon your character's stats, as well as those of your opponent. It's a balance between player skills and character stats. It's more twitch than a pure turn-based game, but it's nowhere near as twitch as a first person shooter or fighting game.
<br>
<br>
The goal is to make combat more exciting, more involving, and have more depth than Morrowind's. I guess they didn't get that from the demo.</blockquote>
<br>
So there you have it. Penny Arcade didn't get that from the demo, they just pulled it out of their ass.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
After reading what MSFD wrote, the combat actually seems enjoyable now. The dreck that basically every gaming magazine and website wrote about it made me think it was just Morrowind's combat with physics, but I'm oh-so glad to see it's more involved.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah they probably saw one minute of the combat, watched the guy hack another guy, and figured, 'yep it's Morrowind all over again'. Next time they should at least play the game before fucking criticizing it.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Well the other thing is that for the demo, all of the opponents' health was set very very low, so in most cases they keeled over after a hit or three. So there really weren't many instances where combat was drawn out -- and at 25 minutes, the demo had plenty of stuff going on without getting into a long battle.

germx

Novice
Sol Invictus said:
It's more twitch than a pure turn-based game, but it's nowhere near as twitch as a first person shooter or fighting game.

Awww... I got the picture of real twitch combat in 3rd-perso view in this game... and no more stats-based hit thingy...
But i guess i will be a lot better then morrowind anyway... and i DID enjoy that game even if i din't like the combat...

Mendoza

Liturgist
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
In Oblivion, there are many attacks. You have standard attacks, where you click the attack button, and power attacks, where you hold the attack button. Power attacks do more damage, but take longer to perform and burn more fatigue.

Well to be fair, that feature was in Morrowind too. It's just that for the most part attacking as quickly as possible was most effective. I always opened a fight with a power attack, since you weren't losing any time if you had the attack ready.

If you press a directional button while doing a power attack, you can select different power attacks. And you earn more attacks (plus perks like a chance to knockdown or disarm) as your skills get better. But the control scheme stays the same, so you don't have to do Soul Calibur like button combos to access them.

This sounds much better than Morrowind - I'm assuming there are gameplay differences between the different power attacks (e.g. one might be more effective at disrupting casters) rather than just having different graphics, so you'd have to choose which power attack would give the best effect for a particular fight (or maybe varying your attacks would make them harder to block).

Are all the extra attacks types of power attack, or are there others?

There are also more animations for the standard attacks, and you can string them together by pressing attack again while your character is following through after a strike. Plus, the animations are always appropriate for the type of weapon. No more thrust attack with a hammer, for example.

This is just eye candy right? (not that I'm complaining :) )

Blocking is now active -- you hold a button to block. And you can block with your weapon or even your hands (although neither is as effective as blocking with a shield). If you block a strike, your opponent's weapon may recoil, giving you an opportunity to attack.

Cool.

You can also cast spells at any time. In Morrowind you had to "ready magic", which meant unequipping your weapon and raising your hands into the "casting position". In Oblivion you just press the casting button.

Not sure about this - it sounds like possibly there would be no disadvantage to casting in combat, no chance to be disrupted, assuming spells are instacast-ish like in Morrowind. Then again, I guess you still can't cast spells and attack/block at the same time. Aside from not having to press 'r' before casting a spell, does this change combat in anyway?

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Some of the more advanced power attacks will have special perks associated with them that go beyond just harming your opponent. More on that later ;)

Don't worry about the magic part -- there's some other things we're not talking about just yet that help with the balance issues you're concerned about.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Oblivion needs to go back to its "M" rated roots. It's going to look so fucking stupid beating these super-realistic models and not actually see anything happen to them.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
In the trailer blood splurts when he hits a zombie (maybe other things too, I just remember the zombie off the top of my head), and blood gets on the swords as well.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Some of the more advanced power attacks will have special perks associated with them that go beyond just harming your opponent. More on that later ;)

Hmmmm.... Perks... GOOD!

As for violence, with all the hype this game is getting, being the premier "next gen" title right now, they could probably afford to go to an M rating. And they better have it in their system that Fallout 3 will be M. The wastes aren't the wastes unless there is violence, swearing, and drugs. Obviously there is more to it than that, but those at least will be lost by going T.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
... and the moral of the story is: Don't mess with opponents stats when making a demo video.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
bryce777 said:
Maybe it's just me but I am not terribly thrilled by making the game have tons more attack options and making it even more videogamelike .

:lol:

Indeed. The tyranny of choice in combat, how evil it is. I think all games should be point and click. No moves, no different attacks, no need to do anything but click. Video games should focus on being movie-like, not focus on the irrelevent gameplay! :roll:

In all seriousness, it's not complex like a fighting game. MSFD even mentioned it...

so you don't have to do Soul Calibur like button combos to access them.

bryce777 said:
Ooh if I only had a nintendo gamepad and 37 combination attacks!

From the looks of it, there would be 8 different melee attacks in all (Four in both normal and power attacks for each direction key).

Gwendo

Augur
I liked Daggerfalls combat system (i.e., draging the mouse in different directions to get different attacks). When I dragged the mouse left, I felt like swingging the sword left. If I draged the mouse frontward, I would get a thrust.

This would be nice...

Second Chance

Liturgist
Perhaps Bethesda could/should ask D.W.Bradley on how to make a good real-time-arcade combat system.

.hmmmm with the sentence above I'm probably going to end up on someone's signature :lol:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Second Chance said:
Perhaps Bethesda could/should ask D.W.Bradley on how to make a good real-time-arcade combat system.

And then do the opposite? :D

There really isn't anything wrong with the theory of Dungeon Lords' combat system, the problem felt more like the implimentation than the actual mechanics of it.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
bryce777 said:
Maybe it's just me but I am not terribly thrilled by making the game have tons more attack options and making it even more videogamelike.

Ooh if I only had a nintendo gamepad and 37 combination attacks!

Yes let's just dumb down the combat system because having a good combat system in an RPG for once would be a terribly bad thing.

Balor

Arcane
Well, let me quote my post in DarkSign's "Towards a better sword fighting system" thread:
"Cyberglove on the right hand, and the joystick with a POV in the left.
Glove will control your sword arm position and wrist, joystick x,y axis - moving forward and strafing, z-axis (twist-handle, preferably, of course) - turning around (using legs) and POV - twisting and leaning your body. Most joysticks also have a set of buttons on the handle - for switching stances, and other uses."
Now THAT is a good combat system. Otherwise it's just casualized dumb-downs. Period. :lol:

kathode

Novice
Developer
NeutralMilkHotel said:
In the trailer blood splurts when he hits a zombie (maybe other things too, I just remember the zombie off the top of my head), and blood gets on the swords as well.
We have blood spray when an enemy is hit. Blood will also get applied to weapons, and get splattered on landscape, nearby objects, and the characters' bodies themselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom