Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Gamebanshee Reviews XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Eric Schwarz; Firaxis Games; XCOM Enemy Unknown

Eric "sea" Schwarz has penned a lengthy review of XCOM Enemy Unknown for Gamebanshee, and it's kinda negative. I will quote the conclusion for you:

XCOM Enemy Unknown is a frustrating game to review, because there are a lot of very good, very smart design choices in it, but it's impossible not to compare it to its forefather. It's clearly a love letter to the franchise, but it's also one that hasn't been afraid to make changes. Unfortunately, in my opinion, not all these changes have been for the better, and I think that they strip out layers of complexity in favor of accessibility. While the original game was very much targeted towards hardcore strategy fans, this new one is geared towards more casual, pick-up-and-play audiences, and that's why I question its longevity - will people really still be singing this game's praises and debating the finer points of its gameplay 15 years later? I can't see that happening.

There are two ways you can look at XCOM Enemy Unknown - either as a brand-new game made in the spirit of the original, intending to evoke the feel but not the particulars, or, as a pale imitation of a classic PC game that has suffered from the many compromises made to make the game work for consoles and the triple-A industry. Both perspectives are valid, and I agree with both. If you are looking for a solid strategy game with fun tactical combat, but one that doesn't require months to appreciate, then X-COM Enemy Unknown is the game for you. But, if you've grown up with the original and have just got done playing the latest Crusader Kings expansion or Jagged Alliance 2 mod, you might want to ignore those UFOs on the horizon.​

(Gamebanshee reviews it so it's an RPG.)

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When XCOM was first released, there wasn't such a thing as "hardcore strategy fans" there were just "strategy fans".

Achilles

Arcane
Good review sea. The game is decent, but nowhere near as good as the original. Still, it's not a complete betrayal or a shooter reimagining so good news, I guess.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I couldn't play it because of the shitty minimalist console interface. Probably sucks.

Dishonored was kool.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not as much fun as the original (less than TFTD actually) but it was ok fun for the money I've spent on it :keepmymoney:

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I've played the original version of XCom, but didn't like this version much. Their review is pretty much true from what I've played, and it's really dumbed down for the console generation.

Traded it in for Dishnonored and found that to be an over-hyped mess too...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's not true unless you played X-Com too much.
Then you crave TFTD mechanic changes / crazy difficulty.

... so I guess it is true for most of us.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I was thinking about reviewing this for codex/tcancer as well, but I don't think I'll manage to finish the game before it makes me shoot myself in the head.

That's not true unless you played X-Com too much.
Then you crave TFTD mechanic changes / crazy difficulty.

... so I guess it is true for most of us.

XCOM's atmosphere really doesn't do much. After a first playthrough it feels so bland next to TFTD, where pretty much every mission feels creepy as hell no matter how many times I've tried it. That music man. You could add it to a My Little Pony episode and still freak people out.

Honestly the difficulty isn't that much worse in TFTD, it just has better balance because you can't simply arm everyone with rocket launchers (Won't work for TERROR MISSIONS anymore and bigger maps make it less effective) and laser rifles (nerfed heavily (perhaps overmuch)) before the game starts and win it that way. Winning almost every XCOM mission is nothing more than loading up every grunt with rockets in their backpack and nuking the whole map with your soon-to-be 100% aimed accuracy sniper who can bullseye any alien from several screens away. Did I mention the rocket launcher had the most accurate aimed shot in the game? Given the amount of kills you'll get you'll probably have your 100% sniper by the 3rd mission you go on.

Also, Dinosaurs with sonic weapons mounted on them.

MikeHaggar

Educated
Project: Eternity
Why don't everybody just pirate games to see if they're good, and if they are you buy them? When it comes to really gopod games I often buy them twice.

Black

Arcane
Why hasn't medicine cured this "hope" condition yet?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hoping skyway comes itt to talk once more about how xcom is a simple game for gaming hipsters.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ScreenShot041.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom