Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News The Knights of New Vegas: A History Of Obsidian Entertainment

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Aliens: Crucible; Alpha Protocol; Dungeon Siege III; Dwarfs; Fallout: New Vegas; Feargus Urquhart; Futureblight; Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity; South Park: The Stick of Truth; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

As promised last week, Kotaku published an extensive feature on Obsidian Entertainment today. It tells their entire story, from their departure from Interplay, through all the games they've developed and the challenges they've faced, all the way up to the Project Eternity Kickstarter and the company's hopes for the future.

Many Codexers are quite familiar with the history of Obsidian, who are probably the closest thing we've got to a favorite AAA developer nowadays. However, even the most obsessive industry watchers among us might be surprised to learn of some of the games they've tried and failed to make over the years. To wit:

They talked to Ubisoft. "We almost did a Might & Magic game," Urquhart said. It didn't happen: Ubisoft instead contracted a company called Arkane Studios (best known for this year's hit Dishonored) to make Dark Messiah of Might & Magic—probably, Urquhart said, because both Ubisoft and Arkane are French.​

"I call [Ubisoft] every year and I say ‘Hey, we'd love to make you a Might & Magic game," Urquhart said. "And they go, ‘We know.'"​

Obsidian also talked to Take-Two about a game they called Futureblight. "We were gonna look at using the Neverwinter Nights engine to do a Fallout game," Urquhart said. "We thought that would be cool."​

That one came close to reality, but instead wound up a casualty of the console transition cycle. "In 2003, people were very worried about where the PC was going and stuff like that," Urquhart said. "And—not that Xbox was coming to its end, but now everyone knew that there was gonna be another Xbox." So Take-Two passed.​

Then they got a call from Simon Jeffrey, who was then president of LucasArts. He wanted to talk about making a video game.​

"We actually talked to him about doing sort of an action-RPG Star Wars game, which I always thought would be cool to do—like a little party-based action-RPG, with first-person lightsabers and R2D2. It'd be fun. I still think it'd be cool to do," Urquhart said.​

[...] In 2006, as Neverwinter Nights 2 was finished and Alpha Protocol was just getting started, Obsidian was approached by three publishers at around the same time. One wanted to work with them on an "original fantasy RPG," Urquhart said. The other was EA, whose executives likely wanted a piece of the open-world RPG pie that had been recently popularized by The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. They asked Obsidian to make what Urquhart today describes as "a big Skyrim-type Ultima game."​

[...] "We've talked to the Bethesda guys more than once about doing games," Urquhart said. "They called me once about Star Trek, and I was probably being a little bit too much, too arrogant of a developer... This would've been like 2007—way before the movies—and it was like, Star Trek wasn't in a good place. I don't know what I said, but I now know it probably sounded arrogant."​

The cancelled Seven Dwarves and Aliens RPGs are also mentioned. Unfortunately, Obsidian can't yet spill the beans on Project North Carolina which was cancelled earlier this year. Nevertheless, despite all of these woes, the article ends on an optimistic note - and not just because of Project Eternity.

The contrast between Obsidian at the end of 2012 and Obsidian at the beginning of 2012 is like night and day.​

[...] It almost feels like a fairy tale ending: after years of rushed projects, sudden cancellations, and brutal layoffs, Obsidian is suddenly in control of its own destiny. They've got two promising games on the way, and even just a few months ago, major publishers were knocking on their door: Urquhart told me he's been talking to Bethesda, Ubisoft, Warner Bros., and LucasArts.​

Problem, DarkUnderlord? :smug:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
One of those publishers was Disney, who enlisted Obsidian to design a video game prequel to Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Tentatively called Dwarves, it would be a third-person action game for Xbox 360 and PS3 that focused on Snow White's seven companions. There would be a whole new story, and at the end, you'd banish the antagonist to Snow White's iconic magical mirror.
:what:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One of those publishers was Disney, who enlisted Obsidian to design a video game prequel to Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Tentatively called Dwarves, it would be a third-person action game for Xbox 360 and PS3 that focused on Snow White's seven companions. There would be a whole new story, and at the end, you'd banish the antagonist to Snow White's iconic magical mirror.
The Codex already knew about that one: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...d-might-get-patched.45789/page-8#post-1210353

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I remember there was a cancelled game about Volourn Dwarves but I didn't recall it was about Snow White's dwarves

Micmu

Magister
Ouch. Snow White? For real? They really intended to do that, too?
Obsidian truly are like septic tank cleaners of gaming now.
Get your stuff together already.

Lancehead

Liturgist
The article says Sawyer "led development" on NWN2. That's incorrect, I believe?

Dorateen

Arcane
Ferret left, Sawyer took over. Isn't that how it went down?

For all its flaws, Obsidian took the franchise in a more traditional and definite less-bioware like direction. For me, that's where they earn their respect.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
What if they did it dark and gritty, full of violence, like the original Grimm fairy tales were supposed to be? Well, Disney was involved, so I guess it's for the best that the project was cancelled.
I'd rather play American McGee's Dwarfs. Like a longer version of what they did with Grimm

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They should kickstart indiegogo a game that is a clusterfuck of all the different canceled games they've had over the years. That'll show 'em!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Cross-posting my post from the other thread which I thought was this thread.

"I call [Ubisoft] every year and I say ‘Hey, we'd love to make you a Might & Magic game," Urquhart said. "And they go, ‘We know.'"
Yeah and you better keep at it, Feargus.

"My favorite e-mail that I ever got from someone was like, ‘I just wanna tell you how angry I am about the ending of KOTOR II. After my third playthrough, I just feel...'"

Urquhart laughed. "I'm like... if you played through three times, it couldn't have been that bad!"
Codexer detected.

It almost feels like a fairy tale ending: after years of rushed projects, sudden cancellations, and brutal layoffs, Obsidian is suddenly in control of its own destiny. They've got two promising games on the way, and even just a few months ago, major publishers were knocking on their door: Urquhart told me he's been talking to Bethesda, Ubisoft, Warner Bros., and LucasArts.
"We would love to work on Fallout again," Urquhart said. "Hell, we would love to work in the Elder Scrolls universe. Nothing is going on at this point in time, but we talk about it all the time... I'd love to do a Fallout: New Vegas 2. I think a Fallout: New Vegas 2 would kick ass.
He's even got a dream project: Knights of the Old Republic III. On next-gen consoles.
Sounds like the third project could be KotoR3... or a Bethesda game. But Bethesda kind of fucked them over last time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It can't be KOTOR3 if that's still a "dream project", I think.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
"We as a company got into a big room and we said, ‘We are not gonna make buggy games anymore,'" Urquhart said.

So they designed an entirely new bug-tracking system—a computerized program that automatically sends crash reports to their engineers. Their last bug-recording system, Urquhart said, involved pens and paper.
:hmmm:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I'd rather have MCA just write a visual novel and spare us from whatever shitty gameplay we'd have to endure to read his writings.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

I would've killed to see that, if for no other reason but novelty. Although it pretty much confirms that Obsidian has been in that "will work for food" phase for a very long time with Feargus begging to get whatever projects he can.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I'd rather have MCA just write a visual novel and spare us from whatever shitty gameplay we'd have to endure to read his writings.

Eh, mechanics would probably be dumbed down for consoletards, so yeah. But I quite like the gameplay of MM VI-VIII.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Dude.

It's obviously Loony Toons RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom