Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #41: Dwarves and Doors (and a complete lack of proofreading)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Adam Brennecke; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

This week's Project Eternity Kickstarter update describes two of January's development accomplishments. The first one was the creation of the dwarf - and by extension, a unified system for creating all of the other races as well.

One of the goals in preproduction was to figure out how we could make character modeling pipeline be as efficient as possible. The problem is fairly complex: All of the six playable races, human, elf, dwarf, aumaua, orlan, and the god-like can wear armor, boots, gloves, helmets (...well, some have trouble wearing helmets, but we will talk about that some other day...) and have other options that the player can customize like facial hair, hair style and skin color. We also have tons of armor variations and types of armor, like plate, brigandine, leather, and mail. (Josh loves his armor). Ideally, our artist would only need to model one armor piece - let's say plate body armor - and have it fit all six of our playable races even if the races are all of different proportions and body structure. At the end of the day the same model for plate armor could fit a slender four-foot-tall orlan and a burly seven-foot-tall aumaua. The goal for January was to build a system to allow us to do this very thing.​

During January, we've developed a new system to allow our human bipedal skeleton to be shaped and morphed into the other playable races and have armor be shaped and morphed along with the skeleton. The character modelers have fine control over the proportions of the races, and only need to model armor pieces once and not six times over. In preproduction we look at developing systems like this. It may cost us time up front, but will save us hundreds of hours down the road in production. The dwarf ended up being our first test case, and now we have dwarves as playable races working in game.​

An interesting technique. So interesting, in fact, that they felt the need to repeat that first paragraph three times throughout the update. I do wonder if an armor texture designed for a human model wouldn't end up being noticeably distorted when transferred to another race, though.

January's second accomplishment was the creation of the humble doorway.

On the other end of the pre-production spectrum, the programming team has been writing the building blocks for the area design toolbox. One of the essential things that all areas need are doors. From past experience we know that doors always present difficult problems with pathfinding and are a big pain in the arse. Getting a potentially risky, yet required, feature out of the way now seemed like a pragmatic goal, so Steve Weatherly (game programmer) and Sean Dunny (environment artist) set off on a quest to get doors working in the game.​

[...] One issue that came up was door placement. We found that it was not easy to place a door in the exact space to fit a dungeon doorframe. Steve and Michael Edwards (senior technology programmer) coded a system for doorframe "snap points" that makes the door pop to the exact place that we want it to go. Designers can now place doors efficiently. Hooray!​

There's also a little screenshot of that:

eternity-wip-doortest.jpg

It's IE-tastic!

handup

Educated
Does this mean that when we meet a band of giants, for example, they might actually have different armors and clothes instead of them all being just the usual loincloth and club, because they can't afford more than one asset per type of monsters, or will this new special technique only work on the PCs. And does this mean the character skeletons will be easily alterable, so that monsters of the same species may have subtly different postures and sizes without needing to make different models for them. Why hasn't, say, Bethesda tried something like this. It seems like a ridiculously useful technique.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does this mean that when we meet a band of giants, for example, they might actually have different armors and clothes instead of them all being just the usual loincloth and club, because they can't afford more than one asset per type of monsters, or will this new special technique only work on the PCs.

Don't know. Technically they could use it for anything. Ask on the Obsidian forums.

And does this mean the character skeletons will be easily alterable, so that monsters of the same species may have subtly different postures and sizes without needing to make different models for them. Why hasn't, say, Bethesda tried something like this. It seems like a ridiculously useful technique.

Possibly console memory limitations. Each differently sized/postured creature would require its own piece of memory, rather than all of them sharing the same data. Also it's probably much harder to do for highly detailed high-poly models without things looking fucked up.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess all this was much easier in the times of Infinity Engine's reign. Especially the first BG had rather simple models and animations, although they were improved greatly from game to game (although 1999 Torment has the best ones, IMO).

St. Toxic

Arcane
Also it's probably much harder to do for highly detailed high-poly models without things looking fucked up.

Not really. You just need to rig the skeletons properly, which you'd need to do anyways to get animation looking halfway decent. I'm sure I've seen shots of Obl/Skyrim with polys flying all over the place or sticking out of some characters face, when the ragdoll or animation-sequence does something unexpected, so it's no surprise they wouldn't attempt complicating matters further.

hiver

It seems ludicrous to me to see this approach implemented only now.
I mean really, isnt something like that friggin obvious?
I literally thought most of studios are using this approach ... except few who were just stupid and beyond hype and PR bullshit.

Guess nobody wanted to bother while they had sweet publisher millions to waste on more important marketing features.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I guess all this was much easier in the times of Infinity Engine's reign. Especially the first BG had rather simple models and animations, although they were improved greatly from game to game (although 1999 Torment has the best ones, IMO).

Well, Torment had bigger characters, so they had to be more detailed.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
All this door effort. Should just be bashing them all down. Blunt > Slashing > Piercing obviously, maximise those tactical weapon swaps.

Indranys

Savant
Character model in the screenshot looks nice.
It's detailed enough, which is cool.
But Torment sprites is still the best of course.

tindrli

Arcane
All this door effort. Should just be bashing them all down. Blunt > Slashing > Piercing obviously, maximise those tactical weapon swaps.

i bet that noone of developers thought of bashing doors.. shit.. another 100k for implementing bashed doors!!!!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Bashing or lack thereof are unconfirmed. Asking Josh Sawyer.

tindrli

Arcane
if you cant bash the doors you dont need them.. maybe the force fields are cheep solution

Bony

Learned
Queued
This is my next gen 3d unity supah doopah IE engine 4.000 vault-tec edition for some major cheddah with top notch artists? what is this shit? Typical Obsidian, delivering botched and shitty job, you can already see the buggy camera angles and they didn't even texture the walls, what is this? Are we in the 80's yet? :rpgcodex:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I agree with him, even an untextured IE like game screenshot is way better than the shit IMMERSION 3D Console shit we get today.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I agree with him, even an untextured IE like game screenshot is way better than the shit IMMERSION 3D Console shit we get today.

Still that doesn't stop people from paying for it and playing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom