Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State Kickstarter Update #25: Combat Video Released

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Brian Mitsoda; Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

Like they promised last week, DoubleBear have released a work-in-progress combat video for their postapocalyptic zombie RPG Dead State. Here's the video as well as an excerpt from the accompanying Kickstarter update:

What you’re about to see is our work-in-progress combat demo. It shouldn’t be seen as a preview of a final game, but as a milestone that shows a lot of our basic systems coming online as a playable whole. There’s still a lot to create and balance, but the basics of the game that you helped fund is taking shape. Let’s take a first look:

-Everything you’re seeing is real-time, no editing tricks, no pre-scripted behavior. AI reacts to noise and zombies will spawn to the map if you make too much noise. They spawn at the blue exit zones.

-Llano is one of the first areas, and it’s fairly forgiving. Both Vic and the player character were slightly more buff than they would be for the final game. They are using lower level equipment and have no armor on.

-Although I didn’t loot every container, collecting supplies is really important. Combat is dangerous, but sometimes unavoidable. Killing enemies doesn’t give skill points - gathering resources or meeting objectives does – but all the same it’s a good idea to stay well-equipped and alert.

-You may notice guns are noisy but powerful. It may be easier to clear out zombies with them, but you will constantly alert area zombies or summon new zombies to the map, which will chew up your ammo. Ammo is pretty scarce in our game. Enemies are dipping into their ammo on hand – if they use it up on you, they won’t have any when you loot them.

-Pathfinding is unoptimized, which will explain some slowdown in narrow areas/near doorways.

-The looter is reloading on her turn. Since there’s no animation, it might seem like she’s not doing anything, but that’s what she’s doing. You may notice it when Vic just stands there on his turn too.

-Zombie noises are placeholder. A final sound pass will happen closer to beta.

-Zombies have a grapple attack that is not featured here. The only attack they have in the video is their basic claw attack. They are a lot more dangerous when they have their full set of bites/takedowns, which are being fine-tuned right now.

-Weapons have multiple attacks. We're still working on alt animations and effects, so we didn't show them off.​

Glad to see the game is progressing; I was getting a bit worried already.

MapMan

Arcane
They still didn't fire the guy who's making artwork and portraits? Prosper could've done a better job.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The combat is ok, but I would also like to see something about the strategic part. I like the resource gathering aspect and always wanted a game where people have dissapeared, and you can find stuff in shops and carry it to your base, like in I am Legend or Omega Man. If they capture that kind of gameplay I am sold, even if the engine doesn't look particularly amazing (did you notice the stuttering around 4:50?).

Looking forward to the next video around 2014.

EG

Nullified
All I ask . . . is the ability to speed up combat animations.

And more zombies.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Stuttering has been explained guys : pathfinding is simply not optimized.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
If they capture that kind of gameplay I am sold, even if the engine doesn't look particularly amazing (did you notice the stuttering around 4:50?).

Won't be happening in the final game, of course. It's that unoptimized pathfinding Brian was writing about.

Stuttering has been explained guys : pathfinding is simply not optimized.
This.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

belated

Augur
Wasn't expecting fully optimized stuff, so it looks really good to me.

Also, I missed this kickstarter so I'm hoping they get their pre-order up soon.

BobtheTree

Savant
Looks promising. I like the idea of having to juggle the choice of super powerful guns that risk attracting more zombies or slow, deliberate melee attacks that means you'll be taking more hits in combat.

I hope the noticeable hickups in performance are either due to either recording the game or just some minor performance tweaks that need to be made.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
It's alive! Now use this burst of publicity to hook more people with more frequent public updates instead of the previous campaign of silence...

Uhm, I watched the video muted because I'm in the office, so I possibly missed the explanation: do melee hits risk infection, or how does that part of the game work? It's not a proper zombie game if you don't have to preemptively soak your infected buddy in gasoline and make sure not much is left to rise...

The camera controls are already giving me a headache, but what can you do.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I hope it get a visible fog of war or something like it in the final version... it would greatly improve the atmosphere IMHO.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Very promising video, the mechanics look good and solid.

I hope they'll work on the atmosphere though. They desperately need a good artist/art director. The game needs more of a horror feel, and that UI... ugh.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
What I really hate is the "notebook" themed inventory and hud. It gives off this cheap flash game vibe. Also- why the fuck is Vic wearing a tie?

Avantre

Educated
Also- why the fuck is Vic wearing a tie?
Obviously it must be an armour-plated tie, to prevent the stereotypical zombie bite attack to the neck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom