Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #11: Nathan Long, Unified RPG Engine, Second City, and 2D Backgrounds!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Nathan Long; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Today's Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update is the most exciting one in a while.

As usual, there's a new episode of the Torment video series. This one features writer Nathan Long, who is a pretty cool guy. He takes the various elements discussed in the previous episodes and puts them together to create an example of a typical Torment quest scenario.

For future videos, inXile have opened a Q&A section in the official Torment forums. Colin McComb will answer the most popular questions posted.

In further news, the update announces that the Kickstarter has reached 57,000 backers, thereby unlocking the fifth Fathom of Castoff's Labyrinth. Here's the image of it, which you may have already seen:

wogDUpq.png

In addition to that, inXile have added the option to unlock an additional bonus Fathom if 10000 people like Torment's Facebook page.

The exciting part of the update, however, is the following three announcements, which I'll quote here:

Collaborating with Obsidian on Tech

As you know, we’ve been working on Wasteland 2 in Unity and will be implementing Torment in Unity as well. Meanwhile, about 20 minutes away, Obsidian Entertainment is creating Project Eternity, also in Unity. Though there are major differences between our games, there are also similarities as all are RPGs built in the same engine. As many of you have suggested, it only makes sense that we collaborate where we can.​

We are happy to announce that we at inXile and the great guys over at Obsidian have reached an agreement to share tools and technology when it makes sense. This will allow both companies to be more cost-effective on these projects, allowing your pledges to go further in terms of creating art, content, gameplay, and game polish. Vive le classic RPG revolution!​

Another Major City

You’ve already seen Sagus Cliffs, which will be a major hub in the game. As part of an upcoming Stretch Goal, we’ll be adding the Oasis of M’ra Jolios as another prominent city location. Here’s Andree Wallin’s concept, Dust and Water, of this complex and bizarre urban ecosystem (wallpaper versions will be available soon at our website):​

Hb4kHTr.jpg

Some Words on Graphics

I’ve advertised that we’d say more about graphics this week. The most popular Stretch Goal request from you, our backers, is for 2D pre-rendered graphics, which would mean that Torment would have a fixed, isometric camera with 2D backgrounds.​

[...] A famous recent example of this approach in practice is the screenshot released by Obsidian for Project Eternity last fall. We agree with you that it would be the best way to realize our vision for Torment and have been investigating its feasibility throughout this Kickstarter campaign.​

We’ve been carefully evaluating the costs and trade-offs, and it looks like a 2D pre-rendered graphics approach may be possible. We'll be showing you an example of what we intend, so you'll be able to see for yourselves why we're so excited about this approach. Being able to achieve this quality bar is only an option because of your great support – we are thrilled at the possibility that Torment could be as strong in its aesthetics as it will be in its storytelling and choices and consequences.​

Oh boy! :bounce: It's interesting that Torment and Project Eternity will end up sharing the same code, kind of like how the original PS:T used Baldur's Gate's code. And that second city will put Torment on par with Project Eternity (which also had a second city stretch goal) in terms of size and scope.

Hopefully this will bring on a surge of increased pledges. If you're not personally interested in any of the high tiers, might I suggest you do so via our fundraising campaign?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Damn, that Andree Wallin is one hell of an artist, that city looks fucking awesome, and all the more reason for Fargo to go with pre-rendered backgrounds. Want to see as much creative detail as possible in this game.

Drowed

Arcane
They have, what, a week before the end of the kickstarter campaign?

They should show something the sooner they can. I think it can really boost the donations spike if they have a nice mockup screenshot for everyone. I think some people would even increase their pledge if that's the case.

himmy

Arcane
They have, what, a week before the end of the kickstarter campaign?
I think some people would even increase their pledge if that's the case.

That's already happening. It went up like 10k since the update, which is quite a lot for this stage of the campaign.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nathan Long's resume isn't very good, but I do like his video.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Ooh, nice update! City art reminds me of how I pictured certain things from Book of the New Sun. Obviously:

:incline:

hiver

Damn, that Andree Wallin is one hell of an artist, that city looks fucking awesome, and all the more reason for Fargo to go with pre-rendered backgrounds. Want to see as much creative detail as possible in this game.
yeah... the man is killing me.

After that first piece i meant to suggest they should get him to make something like this:
DVmPjvh.jpg

http://andreewallin.deviantart.com/art/Curvy-City-350301645?q=gallery:andreewallin&qo=2

or http://fav.me/d5sk6h9

But i didnt want to presume too much or push to a specific direction.
So - hah!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ooh, nice update! City art reminds me of how I pictured certain things from Book of the New Sun.
:bro: I am enjoying the fuck out of Book of the New Sun. Just thundering through it. Nearing the end of the second book (Claw of the Conciliator) now.

Fryjar

Augur
Great update Brother None .
Also nice to hear that you did go for the bonus fathom at 10k likes. You forgot to add that info above the labyrinth picture on the main page though, so people that didn't read the update might miss it.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Also nice to hear that you did go for the bonus fathom at 10k likes. You forgot to add that info above the labyrinth picture on the main page though, so people that didn't read the update might miss it.
A good point. I'll add it in.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
:bro: I am enjoying the fuck out of Book of the New Sun. Just thundering through it. Nearing the end of the second book (Claw of the Conciliator) now.

All three series from the Solar cycle are must reads for anyone who enjoys scifi, glad your enjoying the New Sun books.

On topic, can't wait for more developments on the "2D front".

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Bah, we always knew of their sleazy ploy to keep 2D backgrounds hostage until the 4mil tier...

:yeah:

himmy

Arcane
I just realized that if I had the ability to send messages into the past, I probably wouldn't go for the obvious "warn people of the tsunami/earthquake/terrorist" thing, but instead I would post this image to the Codex 2 years ago, just to fuck with people.

mdIE2Gh.jpg

norolim

Arcane
That's a great update. 2D in is excellent news. Obsidian and inXile cooperation is fantastic news and may lead to some great things in the future. Long seems the right man on the right job...where does the incline end, dammit? Can someone give us something to bitch about, already?:mad:

grdja

Augur
Without unprecedented jump in last day pledges they are now barely going to reach MCA stretch goal. Putting a new city as a further stretch goal is kinda pointless, no way it will be reached.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Without unprecedented jump in last day pledges they are now barely going to reach MCA stretch goal. Putting a new city as a further stretch goal is kinda pointless, no way it will be reached.

Oh yeah it would be so unprecedented :roll:

Torment has 7 days left. Here is what comparative Kickstarters day in their final 5 days:

Project Eternity: 1,275,036
Star Citizen: 892,218
Double Fine: 854,788
Planetary: 714,557
Wasteland 2: 544,714
Shadowrun: 384,313
Dreamfall: 364,527

It's like some people have all the long-term memory of a goldfish. Torment would have to have an unprecedentedly low final week to not reach MCA and beyond.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's what I keep saying, but I'm getting bored of repeating myself ad nauseam.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, I upped my pledge from $20 to $125 (+shipping...). I don't have that much money to spend too, so it's at the cost of not buying anything for myself for the next three months. Thanks, inXile.

EDIT: I've also moved my pledge to PayPal while still leaving $1 pledged through KS. That way we have one additional, virtual backer. Breaking the system!

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom