Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Souls II Gameplay Video and Q&A at IGN + New Trailer

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Dark Souls 2; From Software; Namco Bandai; Yui Tanimura

IGN has published a 12 minute gameplay preview of From Software's highly anticipated (and controversial because of the change to a new director) Dark Souls II as well as a video Q&A about the game:

Today, IGN proudly debuts the world exclusive first look at Dark Souls II.

Start with our a 12-minute demo, then check out our Q&A session below, both of which feature FromSoftware director Yui Tanimura and Namcobandai global producer Tak Miyazoe, both hosted by IGN's Marty Sliva.​

Unfortunately I can't find these videos on Youtube so I can't embed them here, so be sure to check out the videos at IGN. There is also short new trailer available on Youtube:

And in case you can't or don't want to watch the IGN videos, Eurogamer has a few Q&A tidbits as well as their impressions of the gameplay transcribed:

For one, you can now light torches to illuminate dark areas. As with the skull lantern in Dark Souls, you wield torches in your left hand and thus can't equip it and a protective shield at the same time.

Look closely at nine minutes in and you'll see the player switches between three weapons in their right hand (a small sword, an axe, then a much larger sword). It's unclear if this will be an option in the final game or if it's only something implemented into this early demo build.

You'll also have what are called "key mouths," which are essentially just locked switches gussied up as creepy faces carved into blocks that require cube-shaped stones to be placed in their mouths to be activated. These will have different environmental effects, such as lighting up torches in the vicinity. The "magic stones" that activate them can be used with any key mouth, so it's up to the player to decide which ones to activate.

We also see an area tentatively called "the mansion of the dragons." It's described as "a place where experiments had been done on dragons in the past" and a giant dragon skeleton comes to life when the player picks up an item in front of it. The colossal skeleton dives at the player and crumbles, which feels a little anticlimactic after the last couple of Souls games allowed you the option to take down these hulking beasts in real-time.

On the other hand, when the player shoots an arrow at an incarcerated cyclops, the beast becomes angry and smashes through the wall, so that element of surprise and consequences for cocky stupidity seems to be in full gear.

Tanimura explained a little bit more about his philosophy towards the game in a 10 minute Q&A video on IGN. Here he noted that Dark Souls 2 will maintain the series' minimalist storytelling.

"One of the spiritual elements to the whole Dark Souls series is the way we storytell. We really encourage and want the player to look into the key - or even small - details that you see throughout the game and really imagine the story for yourself and really try to encompass all the information and create your own story as you play through the game," said Tanimura (translated via Miyazoe).

He also noted that From Software is going to "not necessarily make it more accessible," but rather "make it more clear what we want to express using the underlying concepts of Dark Souls," whatever that means.

The director also said that Dark Souls 2 has spruced up its animations by using motion capture for the player.

In short, the developer basically had to come up with a crapton of ways to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Dark Souls is a tough act to follow, but based on this first look at its sequel, it sure looks like the Dark Souls we all know and love.​

The Eurogamer article also contains some new screenshots -- check them out.

Black

Arcane
Doubt they mastered making games for PC between DS port and now.

Indranys

Savant
Will it retain the enemy respawn after rest?
I feel respawning enemies right after rest get tedious really fast.
Yes it's there for C&C purpose, and running away from respawning enemies was fun on the first playthrough.
And to prevent rest spam tactic which is often used by OCD players.
But in the long run it breaks the game for me.
I mean I just want to backtrack from B to A for 10001th times in piece goddamit, why should I kill or run from enemies I already killed before!

This is my solution for respawning issue:
>Ditch the old rest and respawn mechanism, they should make enemies respawn after 3 days, or a week in-game time etc. Each enemy type has a different respawn time, only a few enemy types can respawn in a single night, like tentacles, plants or something.
>To prevent the spam rest, players will need a fire dragon token/whatever to rest safely in a campfire for a single night. If they decide to rest without one, enemy raids may occur randomly (50% probability or whatever).
These raids should be dangerous, fatal, and give disadvantage to the player. When resting the player unequips his armor and/or weapon, so when the raid occurs he will be a naked barehanded sitting duck.
>These fire dragon tokens can be made with appropriate ingredients (a lot of different ingredients or need a rare one), bought at various sellers (not that cheap however and in limited stock), or looted from the bodies of certain foes (rare occurrences). Keep it in mind they should be not too common or else the game balance will break.

That's just my thought though. :P

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The turtle knight was a bit silly, but the rest seems good. Although ti doesn't have cutscenes, it does seem to have a lot of "events" like that dragon skeleton, the ogre crashing the wall, the bridge falling down... as long as the player is always in control, I'm ok with that.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

When you want to spare yourself from visiting a shithole like ign.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
wanted to like Dark Souls, never really did. I dunno. the combination of nonsense Japanese storytelling and endlessly needing to face down the same enemies just didn't let it get traction in me. I'd hoped they'd be changing things up in the sequel, but I guess not. sad. I guess most of my best DS experiences were in multiplayer, though, so if they make that work a little (a lot) better, might be worth it.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Dark Souls ... nonsense Japanese storytelling

What in the flying fuck

I defy you to find me ten sentences in that game that actually have meaning. what stands out? there was that item described as being "the center of a monomyth," which isn't even, like, a syntactically complete use of that word. there's the guy right at the beginning who tells you something along the lines of, "in my family, we have a saying: when the undead chosen rings the two bells of awakening, then the fate of the undead berg will be revealed." that's a SAYING? you guys just break that one out in conversation, like 'winter is coming?' how about all the shit about Big Hat Logan, written to entertain a kindergarten through third grade audience? the game is word salad, sister. it was either blind idiot translation or blind idiot writing, or, more probably, both.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
This is for the PC?

Probably another shit port a year or so after, Gaysun, I'm just clarifying the fact that I probably wont get it until there's solid fan patches and it's on a Steam sale for $4.99, like the original. Now continue asking retarded strawman rhetorical questions, asshole, I could use the non-buttsex-related heat. Fuck.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
The levels look pretty open, that's reassuring. They remind me of Demon's Souls more than Dark Souls, which is a good thing. If they have the complex levels of DeS and the interconnected world of DaS, I'm a happy guy.

Combat looks very smooth, though maybe a little more action-gamey than the previous titles. I really want to know if they've changed the parrying/backstab mechanics. Those really broke a lot of encounters once you could perform them consistently. Ideally I would like them to require more precise timing, and then just stagger enemies instead of giving the PC invincible super attack.

I see the PC has three weapons equipped, vs Dark Souls' two. I wonder if they're bringing back carry limits? Hope so. DaS was way too forgiving compared to Demon's Souls.

That big sword looks fun, but it's stupid how fast he swings it. What is this, God of War? Compare that to the Zweihander in Dark Souls, which had a real sense of weight. Maybe it's not a final animation?

Blocking with the torch is still retarded.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What in the flying fuck

I defy you to find me ten sentences in that game that actually have meaning. what stands out? there was that item described as being "the center of a monomyth," which isn't even, like, a syntactically complete use of that word. there's the guy right at the beginning who tells you something along the lines of, "in my family, we have a saying: when the undead chosen rings the two bells of awakening, then the fate of the undead berg will be revealed." that's a SAYING? you guys just break that one out in conversation, like 'winter is coming?' how about all the shit about Big Hat Logan, written to entertain a kindergarten through third grade audience? the game is word salad, sister. it was either blind idiot translation or blind idiot writing, or, more probably, both.

I could go on and name out lots of things like Humanity or Pursuers or Dragon King Greataxe, or even things so crucial to the plot as Ring of the Sun Princess/Darkmoon Seance Ring, but sounds to me like you're trolling, naming some little things about semantics or things without context you're not even sure of. Basically, the plot is obscure until the pieces of the puzzle are put and interpreted together and nothing is handed on the silver platter. That's the purpose the aforementioned things serve first and foremost and doesn't mean it's nonsense. Probably everything was broken down by EpicNameBro if you didn't get it.

The same way of storytelling is present in Silent Hill, or is that game nonsensical too?

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is for the PC?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538551
They say the game's main platform will be PC this time and run at a constant 60 fps. We'll see about that one, their DS port doesn't inspire any confidence. Still, glad to see PC is lead platform, as it should be.

I don't read Spanish so I can't see that statement verified. But if true, that is rather interesting.

It's indeed what they said.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
When i saw those loading portals i thought is made for consoles only, there are no massive battles in Dark Souls due the console restrictions and there will never be such games unless they develop games for next console generation then they will first make them on pc, then port them, happy days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom