Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Might & Magic X Legacy Open Development Site Announced

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Limbic Entertainment; Might & Magic X: Legacy; Ubisoft

There hasn't been much news on the Might & Magic X Legacy front recently, probably due to Ubisoft and Limbic being busy with the recently released Heroes 6 expansion. But today, a press release was sent to out various sites informing us of an interesting new development. From Gamasutra:

LONDON, UK — JUNE 6 TH, 2013 — Today, Ubisoft announced that Might & Magic® X Legacy starts its Open Development phase, with the availability of a dedicated section on the game website: www.mightandmagicX.com
Through this website, the players will be able to join the game development, discuss game features with the developers & other gamers, and participate in the creation of a unique dungeon, by voting every week and bringing in their own ideas. All of this with a simple aim: to develop a video game for the players and with the players.​

Limbic Entertainment is an independent game development studio based in Germany & a third party developer for Ubisoft for around four years. Thanks to the Open Dev, the team is simply aiming to share its passion for the Might & Magic brand.​

Might & Magic X Legacy is an authentic solo experience in the classic first-person RPG genre, with a turn-based gameplay system. By creating and leading a group of adventurers in and around the exciting city of Karthal, and battling powerful mythical creatures while collecting ancient magical treasures, players will determine the fate of the Agyn Peninsula.​

Looks like they're going for a pseudo-Kickstarter type of thing with this game. You can access the Open Development site here. The first week's vote, concerning the nature of the user-designed dungeon, has already begun. I suspect this game isn't getting an incredible amount of attention, so I think we have a chance of making a real difference here. Ubisoft, meet Codex!

Dorateen

Arcane
Let us take control of the development, and make it such a Legacy!

I voted for creating new a dungeon from scratch, because I would design one in the style of the old dungeons, rather than just a remake.

Tigranes

Arcane
Registered & Voted. My name was taken, so...

XS6OsLR.png

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Uh, are you guys maybe already registered? It might be the same as your UPlay account?
The idea that I have, in a drunken state, registered an account already has occurred to me, but the password retrieval does not work with either of my addresses. And I have not even pirated a Ubi game in the last five or so years so I would be somewhat taken aback to find that I have acquired an UPlay account.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
oh cool, so now the 5-man population of the Ubisoft forum will be designing content in between whinging about how grid-based movement robs them of gameplay freedom.

Luzur

Good Sir
dont know if i need to sign up on this really, since i have the backdoor.

EDIT: oh wait, i already got a ubisoft MM account.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
oh cool, so now the 5-man population of the Ubisoft forum will be designing content in between whinging about how grid-based movement robs them of gameplay freedom.

Wow, there are actually some pretty intense flamewars going on there, with people on both sides: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...e-movement?s=3d54e13b94b1bf9a0bd7bd01ea7d014e
I was totally optimistic about his game so far, but somehow this forum made me vary. I hope the game won't turn out shit.

Stabwound

Arcane
The forums are horrifying. Why is every 3rd thread about raging about grid-based movement? That's the biggest incline of this entire thing in my opinion and it's not like they're going to change the foundation of the entire game when it's supposed to come out this year.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The forums are horrifying. Why is every 3rd thread about raging about grid-based movement? That's the biggest incline of this entire thing in my opinion and it's not like they're going to change the foundation of the entire game when it's supposed to come out this year.

Oh, the forumites have some clever ideas about how that could be achieved. Quoth the esteemed community member cragthehacker:
cretin without a clue said:
Free movement doesn't have to be 'added' to the game at all, since the Unity engine does free movement by DEFAULT.

Therefore, no additional time or development cost would ensue.

If they want to force turn-based only combat(for game balancing purposes) the simplist scenario would have the party 'snapped' to a step-movement grid, when entering combat range

An acceptable compromise I would think, and entirely doable without ANY additional effort.

So, what's the issue?

As you can plainly see, the fandom has solutions.

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

A user named cat

So they open up forums only to have an army of morons crying for free-movement and sandbox exploration. They get called out for being stupid children then spew fake video credentials. Glorious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom