Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Dragon Age Inquisition Panel at PAX Australia

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age III: Inquisition

There was a panel at PAX Australia 2013 recently where Chris Priestly, Cameron Lee, Patrick Weekes and Karin Week from BioWare answered questions about Dragon Age Inquisition. You can watch the full recording of the panel at Gamespot Australia, or read this nice Eurogamer write-up instead -- or neither. But anyway, here's a tidbit:

The choices you made that were saved in other Dragon Age games will "absolutely come across" to the third instalment, Dragon Age Inquisition. [...] [Cameron Lee] was asked whether BioWare knew how it would tackle saved game imports in light of Dragon Age Inquisition also appearing on new consoles - new technology. "We know what we want to do," he said. "It will absolutely come across - your decisions carry [and] will matter." But he could say no more.

[...] How BioWare will right the wrongs of Dragon Age 2 is a familiar question levelled at the studio. But it wasn't all bad, as the team reminded us, and Dragon Age 2's finer points haven't been overlooked during the design of Inquisition.

"Both games had great points to them," said Patrick Weekes. "Both games had things people want an improvement on, and both games had areas where they excelled." The fast and fluid combat in Dragon Age 2 was one of those, for Weekes, and it helped move characters better around the space. "I wouldn't want to lose that," he said. "What I would want to do is make sure DAI still allows the more tactical options that Origins had."

However, he conceded with a wry smile, something like reused level art won't happen again. [...] Also, BioWare is wary about using something like those red (Renegade) and blue (Paragon) dialogue options from Mass Effect 3.

"The good news and and bad news was when you looked at the persuades, the highlighted red or blue text, the joke became 'oh, complex moral situation! Wait, does it have blue or red text? OK well then that's how you win'," said Patrick Weekes.

"What we want to do, at least on Inquisition, is we want to be aware of that. That doesn't mean we never use anything like that, because the idea of having some kind of pre-requisite-based dialogue option that allows you to get a more optimal outcome is cool. Whether that is something you get by putting points into a stat, or by having someone in your party, or by making choices earlier in the game that unlock that dialogue option - that rewards the player playing the game. I like that.

"What we don't want to do is have every difficult moral decision rendered moot by the presence of brightly glowing text."​

I, for one, am glad Bioware's trademark "difficult moral decisions" are in. Too bad about the glowing text though - it highlighted them in a manner that I thought was rather appropriate.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
start video -skip - 10 seconds in I realized I'm wasting my time - skip - skip - skip - .

Septaryeth

Augur
The choices you made that were saved in other Dragon Age games will "absolutely come across" to the third instalment, Dragon Age Inquisition. [...] [Cameron Lee] was asked whether BioWare knew how it would tackle saved game imports in light of Dragon Age Inquisition also appearing on new consoles - new technology. "We know what we want to do," he said. "It will absolutely come across - your decisions carry [and] will matter." But he could say no more.

One name - Leliana.

"But I chopped off your head back in the sacred ashes temple!"
"I knew it wasn't my time yet, Maker wants me to live on."
"So...what? You crawl back and put the bleeding head back onto your neck?"

"You're free to make all the assumptions you like." said David Gaider.

I'm assuming chopping off someone's head isn't the same as killing them.

By "your decisions will matter", it's probably going to be another "No, we decide what your decisions are and your expectation is irrelavent".
Next thing you know will be that Anders was pretending to get stab by Hawke. He actually escaped Kirkwall.

i dont give a fuck about my decisions in game from 2011 or 2009. whats the fucking point of promising that your decisions will matter in game made 5 years later? it only leads to fucking disapointment. fuck it bioware just leave it. its not that dragon age was supposed to be a fucking trilogy like mass effect where everything was planned ahead:troll:

fucking cd projekt promised the same bullshit and all i got in twicher 2 was a lame armor. fuck importing saves.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I'd feel a lot less hostile towards Bioware if they'd just fucking say "difficult decisions" and drop the moral part completely.

This is the only thing going through my mind when I read the following part.

[...] How BioWare will right the wrongs of Dragon Age 2 is a familiar question levelled at the studio. But it wasn't all bad, as the team reminded us, and Dragon Age 2's finer points haven't been overlooked during the design of Inquisition.

Oh, well, allow me to retort. What does your general audience look like?

BW: what?

What country are you from?

"What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in "What"?!

English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?!

BW: yes

Then you know what I'm saying.

BW: yes

Describe what your typical audience looks like.

BW: what...?

Say "what" again! Say! "what"! again! I dare you! I double-dare you, motherfucker! Say "what" one more goddamn time!

BW: well... well we think they aren't that smart...

Go on...

BW: they generally buy what ever shit we come out with....

Do they look like a bitch?

BW: ....yes

Then why'd you try to fuck them........ wait what? *ponders* I guess they do, fuck this, lets go Vince....

J1M

Arcane

One name - Leliana.

"But I chopped off your head back in the sacred ashes temple!"
"I knew it wasn't my time yet, Maker wants me to live on."
"So...what? You crawl back and put the bleeding head back onto your neck?"

"You're free to make all the assumptions you like." said David Gaider.

I'm assuming chopping off someone's head isn't the same as killing them.

By "your decisions will matter", it's probably going to be another "No, we decide what your decisions are and your expectation is irrelavent".
Next thing you know will be that Anders was pretending to get stab by Hawke. He actually escaped Kirkwall.

Same issue with Zevren. I killed him when I met him in Dragon Age. Bitch would not take no for an answer.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
At this point the only thing interesting about DA:I is whether it can possibly out gay DA2.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
"Every time another really great game comes out and raises the bar: that's not threatening - it's only threatening if we don't think we can ever do anything better. We look at other games and go 'that's a fantastic game - how am I going to incorporate that thing and do it in a BioWare fashion?'"
:hmmm:

Baron

Arcane
The only moral choice is whether to play it. And to be perfectly honest, it's not that difficult a decision. Dear god, the pain inflicted when those characters spoke... it was like sticking your dick into this thing's chest.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dragon Age

:flamesaw:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
"Every time another really great game comes out and raises the bar: that's not threatening - it's only threatening if we don't think we can ever do anything better. We look at other games and go 'that's a fantastic game - how am I going to incorporate that thing and do it in a BioWare fashion?'"
:hmmm:
God, that's probably the most pathetic thing I ever read.

Cynic

Arcane
Okay which one of you posted this in the comments

Still no mention of being able to play as a Transgender character. I guess the only choices will be cisgendered privlidged white male and cisgendered privliged white female again. Typical Bioware, Transphobic to the very end.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

Still no mention of being able to play as a Transgender character. I guess the only choices will be cisgendered privlidged white male and cisgendered privliged white female again. Typical Bioware, Transphobic to the very end.
Sadly we live in a world where this isn't necessarily a troll.

Rake

Arcane

Sadly we live in a world where this isn't necessarily a troll.

Who cares. I'm glad that this shit is on Bioware's door. They made their own bed when they made the whole "pansexuality" "PC" "romances" etc. the main selling points of their games. Now every sexually frustrated deviant who wants to fuck dragons in his games has a voice.
And then Gaider complains about his fanbase, when themselves created that idiotic fanbase in the first place.

Cynic

Arcane
I refuse to believe that shit isn't a troll....it's just too perfect

Zeriel

Arcane
I can see it not being a troll, just because a) it matches how people talk in certain communities and b) it doesn't go overboard. Now if it included talk of patriarchy in same sentence, I'd be more skeptical.

Visbhume

Prophet
What's wrong with transgendered, transvestite or otherwise gender-bending characters? They have ample precedents in mythology (Tiresias, Achilles among the daughters of Lycomedes) and history (Chevalier d'Eon).

Zeriel

Arcane
Nothing at all (though I'm sure there are reactionaries here who would love to spend all day harping on about the Fall of Western Civilization if such a thing happened), but the idea of "every game must have EXACTLY THIS, IN A PLACE OF VISIBILITY AND IMPORTANCE, or it is TERRIBLE and MORALLY WRONG" is poisonus to creativity and good design.

In a more general sense, the moment a developer starts caring more about what its fans say they want than their own vision of a game they want to make, I lose all faith and interest.

Rake

Arcane
Nothing at all (though I'm sure there are reactionaries here who would love to spend all day harping on about the Fall of Western Civilization if such a thing happened), but the idea of "every game must have EXACTLY THIS, IN A PLACE OF VISIBILITY AND IMPORTANCE, or it is TERRIBLE and MORALLY WRONG" is poisonus to creativity and good design.

In a more general sense, the moment a developer starts caring more about what its fans say they want than their own vision of a game they want to make, I lose all faith and interest.
:bro:
That. There is nothing wrong to have a trans character, even as a fixed protagonist if that is the story the devs want to tell. And it's nothing wrong to make a game that it's misogynistic,rasist etc. The creator can make anything he wants and believes will make his creation better.
It's up to the individual to buy the game or not. But not to shout "you can't do that, it offends me so there must not exist. Fuck if i care if someone wants exactly that thing that it offends me or if it makes sense in the story, or that i can simply NOT BUY THE GAME. Nope. It should not exist just because...

Septaryeth

Augur
What's wrong with transgendered, transvestite or otherwise gender-bending characters? They have ample precedents in mythology (Tiresias, Achilles among the daughters of Lycomedes) and history (Chevalier d'Eon).

It's one thing to tell a story with your characters, and it's another to use them simply as tokens.
EA's response to their second golden poo award demonstrated the latter perfectly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom