Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #66: Backer Portal Promo + Meet the Devs

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Darren Monahan; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

After a month-long hiatus, Project Eternity is back with a new Kickstarter update. To compensate, this one is a "double whammy", with both a promo of the game's long overdue backer portal site and another "Meet the Devs" interview. Yes, they've posted a bunch of fancy screenshots of a website. Sound boring? Yeah, it kind of is, but check this out:

Yeah, there's no official confirmation of it yet, but it appears that the game's final name will be Pillars of Eternity. What do you think?

Going onward, in the update's Meet the Devs segment, we get to meet Hector Espinoza, Obsidian's Lead Environmental Artist who is a veteran from the Black Isle days. Here's some of what he has to say:

Hello, Hector. What is your job on the Project Eternity team?

I am the Lead Environment Artist on Project Eternity. Along with building assets and doing layouts of some the larger levels of the game, I help my team of artists create a visually exciting world for the players to explore.

What are you working on this week?

This week I'm working on polishing one of the states of the Stronghold and building a Keep that is contained within.

What other projects have you worked on?

While at Obsidian I have worked on Dungeon Siege III and after that I have helped out on a number of "unannounced" titles.

Before Obsidian the list is pretty big. At Black Isle I worked on Icewind Dale (as QA), Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter (as an Artist, yay!) and Icewind Dale II. The short lived "Van Buren", it was going to be awesome! Oh, and BG III: The Black Hound. The last title I worked on while at Interplay was Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2. Outside of Interplay and Black Isle I worked on Vampire: Bloodlines, Full Spectrum Warrior 2, and Lord of the Rings: Conquest. Of course in between a lot of these titles there are more projects that unfortunately never got to see a release.

Which environment that you have done has been your favorite?

By far this has to be the first one, which is the original Kickstarter image. I learned a lot when creating that scene and the feeling of nostalgia was awesome.

What's your favorite Infinity Engine game? Why?

This has to be Icewind Dale. I feel so fortunate to have worked on that game. It helped me discover the world of D&D. It also gave me the chance to work with and meet some of the best people in the industry. I'm truly grateful for that. A super close second is Planescape: Torment, I mean, come on. HA!
But the highlight of the update may be this area that he's been working on:

One of Hector's work in progress areas, the player's stronghold, in a ruined and restored state.
Pretty.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah, stronghold is pretty sexy.

Oh shit, I totally did not notice the Pillars of Eternity thing. Truth be told, I forgot entirely that Project: Eternity was a placeholder name.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Stronghold is looking good. I like the small theater seating thingy. A great set for NPC intrigue, duels, and poetry readings.

They should add small banners near the entrance reflecting the PC's color configuration :D

Hmm. The "dirt road" leading into the gate seems a little misaligned though.

hehe guys... this update gave me a pillar... of eternity... between my legs. hehehehe erect dick

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
That sounds rather abstract, but alright.

Do we know if Pillars of Eternity is the "franchise"/world name or the title of the individual game?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Do we know if Pillars of Eternity is the "franchise"/world name or the title of the individual game?

Nobody at Obsidian has even said anything about the "Pillars of Eternity" name at all yet.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

Nobody at Obsidian has even said anything about the "Pillars of Eternity" name at all yet.
BIJOU+BOGEY.jpg

we must inquire. take the dog and go to mr. sawyer's house, I'll go see if I can't get anything out of the young attractive heiress in the valley.

nikolokolus

Arcane
What self respecting steward would let that many trees grow that close to the stronghold wall?

You just can't get good henchmen help these days.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Why must strongholds be so heroic? My stronghold should be a tavern. With upgrades like ladyboys and goats. And maybe a sauna so I can have a good steam. Also blackjack.

Direwolf

Arcane
So what are they going to call the sequels?
Pillars of (blank) or (blank) of Eternity?

imweasel

Yeah, there's no official confirmation of it yet, but it appears that the game's final name will be Pillars of Eternity.
What do you think?
:rpgcodex:

It's okay, but not a great name for a game IMO.

Maybe it is just a name for their backer portal though. I.e. some fantasy shit called the "Pillars of Eternity" might exist in the P:E universe and they thought it would be great to name their backer portal accordingly (pillar = support ~= backer...). Just a thought.

BTW, nice screenshot of the stronghold. It is reminiscent of one of the first areas of Baldur' Gate, the Friendly Arm Inn. :)

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I like World of Eternity as the series name, with the obligatory Something of Something as the subtitle of each game.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Pillars of Eternity abbreviates to PE, so it's likely the final name a candidate.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Pillars of Eternity abbreviates to PE, so it's likely the final name.

Huh? Why does the final name have to abbreviate to PE? Also, on the Pillars of Eternity website screenshot it still has the Project Eternity name on the top.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Pillars of Eternity abbreviates to PE, so it's likely the final name.

Huh? Why does the final name have to abbreviate to PE? Also, on the Pillars of Eternity website screenshot it still has the Project Eternity name on the top.
I would think they'd want to keep the current naming conventions if possible, and Project Eternity is generally abbreviated to PE.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
its like a toy stronghold for 5 year old and below. look at the walls and towers. laughable
somebody tell him to put some trapdoors for that towers

bg-ar5100.jpg

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
As already mentioned on the Obsidian forums, Pillars of Eternity may be the 'cool-sounding' name for the backers of the game (hence the Pillars of Eternity website), not the name of the game itself.

But if it is the game's title, well, it could have been better, but it could have been worse. Ok, I guess.

Well, I can't say I think much of the Pillars of the Eternity name, if that even is the name of the game at all. It really does sound like something for the backers.

Anyway, insert standard bitching about the stronghold here - who the hell would leave trees that close to the walls, bonuses from resting in a stronghold with a maze and amphitheatre sound silly and so on.

CWagner

Augur
PoE will hopefully just be the portal/backer name. I really like P:E as the game name, even if it's only because I really got used to it.

Also really impressive graphics :)

Duraframe300

Arcane
PoE will hopefully just be the portal/backer name. I really like P:E as the game name, even if it's only because I really got used to it.

Also really impressive graphics :)

I think you are still supposed to use PE.

@others Look at the first one. It gets much clearer that it is supposed to be the games name rather than the backer portals.

pe-title-media-2000x551.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yes, it's not the portal name. Look more closely at the text.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom