Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Paradox announces Runemaster, a Norse-themed turn-based RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Paradox Interactive; Runemaster

Paradox Interactive, the famous grand strategy game developer/publisher, has decided to hop onto the Viking-themed turn-based retro RPG bandwagon, with a new title called Runemaster. Here's the official announcement on their site:

Runemaster is an RPG set in a fantasy realm based in the rich, majestic traditions of Norse mythology, casting each player in the role of a unique champion in a time of chaotic upheaval. Procedural maps and quests will ensure that no two playthroughs are identical, allowing players to tell a saga that is uniquely their own. Explore vast vistas through the six worlds of Norse myth, command troops in tactical combat, and define your champion through the choices they make.

“Creating an RPG is something new for Paradox Development Studio, and it’s been a dream project we’ve wanted to undertake for a long time now,” said Johan Andersson, Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio. “We’re always playing RPGs in our spare time and discovering new things we love about them as a game genre; it was only natural that sooner or later we’d have to design our own. Runemaster is the result, and we know our fans will love it.”

To see the fantastic world of Runemaster for the first time, view the announcement trailer here:

For more information, please visit:

Web page: www.runemastergame.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/runemastergame
Twitter: https://twitter.com/runemastergame
Forum: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?843-Runemaster

And here I thought I might be able to rest a bit after the releases of Blackguards and Might & Magic X. This is breaking news, so expect more details as they arrive.

Update: ParadoxPlaza.com's official page for the game has a release date (Winter 2014), as well as some screenshots, concept art, and this description:

With Runemaster, Paradox Development Studio invites you to a fantasy realm etched in the rich history of Norse mythology.

Description

In this RPG, you are a hero in a time of chaotic upheaval. Explore the six worlds of Norse mythology, amass your forces and vanquish your enemies on the battlefield in the name of your chosen God. Will you choose to enforce change for those that crave it or will you seek to maintain the status quo - for better or worse?

You, alone can determine the fate of the world.

You, alone are the master of your own saga.

Features
  • Vast vistas to explore: Wander the six worlds of Norse myth, from the lofty forests of Midgard to the fires of Muspelheim. Each time you start a new campaign, the world is procedurally generated to ensure each adventure is a venture into the exciting and unknown.
  • Rich tactical combat: Recruit and command an expansive range of units with unique abilities. Learn to use your troops – and the terrain of the battlefield – to crush your enemies.
  • Emergent storytelling: Who you are and the choices you make have a direct impact on the journeys you embark on. The game’s procedural quest system will take note of your deeds and challenge you accordingly. No two playthroughs will ever be the same.
Interestingly, although the game appears to be PC-exclusive, one of the screenshots appears to indicate controller support.

deuxhero

Arcane
Will you need to fuck people to power magic?

Anyways, this is interesting. Wonder what the races are. Humans and Dwarfs are obvious, but nothing else jumps out at me and aren't inherently of a different power level (gods, giants). Hope it's actual "norse mythology" and not Skyrim's stupid "quasi medieval Europe with vague Norse trappings, most of which are only there because we ripped them from Bloodmoon"

XenomorphII

Prophet

Anyways, this is interesting. Wonder what the races are. Humans and Dwarfs are obvious, but nothing else jumps out at me and aren't inherently of a different power level (gods, giants). Hope it's actual "norse mythology" and not Skyrim's stupid "quasi medieval Europe with vague Norse trappings, most of which are only there because we ripped them from Bloodmoon"

They have already announced them. Trolls, Giants, Humans, Dwarves, and Light and Dark Elves.

Source: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ls-explain&p=16769129&viewfull=1#post16769129

Severian Silk

Infinitron

Please state in thread titles whether games are blobbers or tactical. Saying they're 'turn-based' is not enough.

deuxhero

Arcane

They have already announced them. Trolls, Giants, Humans, Dwarves, and Light and Dark Elves.

Source: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ls-explain&p=16769129&viewfull=1#post16769129

Dark elves seperate from dwarfs? I really hope they don't just make them not!Drow.

Trolls and giants and playable races in very interesting, especially in a "tactics" game where their larger size and reach has very far reaching effects.

, the world is procedurally generated to ensure each adventure
game’s procedural quest system

Well it could still be interesting as a tRPG focused on fights (and making one is a perfectly valid design choice), but this confirms there is no real hope for it as a real RPG.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh, damn. What is up with the cool themes and turn based combat in RPG's these days? Where the fuck have you been all these years?

Im preordering this fucka eventho its Paradox, its gonna be a buggy piece of shit at release, thats pretty much guaranteed. These guys invented Early Access.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
My bets are on a King's Bounty-like, it will be interesting to see what can Paradox do with an RPG.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
game’s procedural quest system

Well it could still be interesting as a tRPG focused on fights (and making one is a perfectly valid design choice), but this confirms there is no real hope for it as a real RPG.
I'd agree if this game wasn't coming from the same guys that made Crusader Kings II :)

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Paradox announces Runemaster, a Norse-themed turn-based RPG
4e5466b7dc69f1314154167_blog.jpg

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Oh, damn. What is up with the cool themes and turn based combat in RPG's these days? Where the fuck have you been all these years?

Im preordering this fucka eventho its Paradox, its gonna be a buggy piece of shit at release, thats pretty much guaranteed. These guys invented Early Access.

I have a theory that Kickstarter has been a good kick in the ass for the industry, because it has shown big time, AAA developers (and other companies) that as the gaming public gets older, they still want to play the older-style games. It has also shown them that so-called "indie" titles can take away real market share, especially if they insist on churning out blockbuster garbage.

Not to mention, these games are comparatively cheap to make, especially if you stay away from reams of voice acting and big chunks of CGI, and use assets like Unity that have already been built.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The procedurally generated shit sounds terrible, though. I hope they keep that limited to side quests. It sounds like they are approaching this game from their strategy game roots, where "replayability" essentially means different maps. Replayability in RPGs means something else entirely. Hopefully they will wise up.

This is, my friends the effect of Kickstarter. The way the industry is heading has been altered because of it. The future has been altered. Those changes may be permanent if those games will sell well (which looks to be the case ) and if those games will manage to attract and extend the number of true rpgs players. Which is likely. Rejoice!

:drink:

Also I can imagine the way the Paradox though during designing this game: "Classics rpgs may sell well, but to be sure let's make it Norse, so it may attract Skyrim fans"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom