Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #43: New UI, Grid Inventory!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Keenan; InXile Entertainment; Michael A. Stackpole; Nathan Long; Wasteland 2

The latest Wasteland 2 Kickstarter update contains a small progress report on the game's ongoing development:

Development at this point is going faster than ever! Now that we have all of our tools in a great place, we’re spending most of our time making the experience better. You might have noticed that we haven’t updated the beta code in a while and there is a good reason for that. The next update contains some major upgrades almost across the board. We’ve made some huge leaps in optimization and reducing our memory footprint. With your help, we’ve killed over 200 bugs in this update and implemented some great reactivity and conversation suggestions that we received from the community. The inventory system has had an exciting overhaul (more on that later) and a new town (Prison) is being added. The Prison used to be Ranger Center until they took over the Guardian Citadel and made it their home. The OSX build has been in testing and we’re fixing some compatibility issues so there is a good chance it will be ready when the next code update is live. Linux has not been forgotten and will follow after OSX is released.

Because of the scope of the update it's taking a little longer than anticipated, we'll keep you posted on its status as we keep working on it. Last update we talked about offering a one-time chance to get into the early beta for only $10 to all our backers. The timing of this promotion will coincide with the update going out, so it is not yet available now. It will be a short run promotion so we’ll make sure to notify everyone in an update when it has started.
But the exciting part of the update is this:

Inventory & Character Screen Upgrade

We’re extremely happy with how the new inventory is coming along. It greatly reduces the amount of unnecessary micromanagement and is much more visually appealing than the previous iteration. Instead of being list based, we were able to make it more icon based with unique icons for all items. The list style inventory works well for a game like WL2 with lots of items to collect, but lacks a bit of the soul that comes with an icon based inventory. There is something special about getting to see all the items you own in one spot. We had always hoped to go with an icon based system, but early in the project we were hesitant to commit to it due to the greatly increased art costs. We’re now at the point where we feel comfortable taking on the challenge and know it will make for a better experience.

The image above shows the new backpack. Long gone are the days of hitting the backpack button and having 4-7 packs pop open. By selecting the party member along the side, you can see the contents of their pack. If you select the “All” button, it will show you the contents of all packs in one easy to read space. Hovering over an item in this mode will highlight the party member on the left to show whose bag it’s in. Drag it to the PC you want to have it and you’re good to go!

When you mouse over the item, you will get all stat and useful information displayed in a small pop-up. You also can further examine the items by double clicking to read the details and see any additional description information.

This grid-based inventory is not limited for space. You can manually keep it sorted yourself under the all items tab if you have your own system in mind, or have the game auto-sort it under one of the other tabs (which will not re-set your manual sorting).

At the same time, we’re also updating the character, attribute, skills and dossier screens. No longer will they be full screen but instead a more compact window, which gives us space to combine it with another screen. Additionally, dropping items in the world, adding them to hotkey bars, and trading becomes much easier when you can move this compact window around to the most convenient screen spot.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on the new inventory vs. the previous one. Please leave comments on our forums or in this Kickstarter update. It will be included in our next code update so those in the beta will go hands-on shortly!
Oh boy. I did not see that one coming. :incline:

As an extra treat, Stephen Blackmoore's novella has been released, and should show up in the folder of the game's Early Access release within 24 hours, as well as at Ranger Center. Furthermore, the folks at inXile have apparently coaxed Michael Stackpole into returning to finish his job - he'll be working with Nathan Long, and together they will release two novellas. Nice.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
tumblr_me2mheo_M8z1rl2z7po1_250.gif

still needs some improving but definitely a step several steps in the right direction!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
tumblr_mq3qthfhDa1rv63c0o4_250.gif

who wants to bet money on a 24525th iteration of the UI within 2 months

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
If I could go back and show my teacher what the seasoned pros at InXile put out I'd have gotten better grades.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All right, now I have something to examine for sexism and racism over the weekend.

hiver

did they leave thanks and apologies to one mr.dr. svcrr. hiver esquire junior? promises of sending money as soon as some drips from steam early access hoard?

These updates by inxile are getting to be really funny, btw.

It greatly reduces the amount of unnecessary micromanagement and is much more visually appealing than the previous iteration.
no shit?

Instead of being list based, we were able to make it more icon based with unique icons for all items. The list style inventory works well for a game like WL2 with lots of items to collect, but lacks a bit of the soul that comes with an icon based inventory. There is something special about getting to see all the items you own in one spot.
:lol:

We had always hoped to go with an icon based system, -
:lol: :lol: :lol:
(smooth)

but early in the project we were hesitant to commit to it due to the greatly increased art costs.
:excellent:

When you mouse over the item, you will get all stat and useful information displayed in a small pop-up. You also can further examine the items by double clicking to read the details and see any additional description information.
This grid-based inventory is not limited for space. You can manually keep it sorted yourself under the all items tab if you have your own system in mind, or have the game auto-sort it under one of the other tabs (which will not re-set your manual sorting).
Marvels of future technologies, eh?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Several steps in the right direction. Not perfect, but good enough.

I am particularly pleased that this xbox inventory is gone.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Still don't see why the character screen has to be split in tabs instead of just having the whole fucking thing on the screen.

:lol:

When I saw "grid", I thought "Excidium's gonna be pissed".

I'm amazed how this game consistently looks like amateur shovelware. It's not even about the budget, it's the distinct lack of a visual vision.

I love grid inventory but not when item icon size isn't standard (1 unit for everything) unless there is a space limit. Eg. differently sized icons work in Arcanum or Deus Ex because the inventory space is fixed. When there is no space limit, different sizes are cluttersome. Nobody wants to play inventory Tetris.

Anyway, now someone must convince Daniel.Vavra to switch to a grid inventory as well. Consolisation obsession is rotting his brain. Lists inventories are shit, man. They are the epitome of indistinguishable blandness, strips a game of character. See Oblivion, Mount & Blade 2, KC: Deliverance. That isn't pretty. And different platforms have different needs with regards to UI. Don't let your obsession with "gamepaddable" ruin a potentially good game for everyone.

Last edited:

hexer

They're moving in the right direction but now I'm concerned about how Torment will turn out. Wise that they're listening to us.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW I was wrong, the novella hadn't downloaded yet. W2 seems to have some issues with its Steam updates.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
This has incompetence and a complete lack of focus written all over it. Its like watching These 'fail' Videos on youtube only on a massive scale

I wonder how much there will be of a new reactivity. Reactivity strangely become smaller and less optimistic part of this update than it was in the previous one...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I wonder how much there will be of a new reactivity. Reactivity strangely become smaller and less optimistic part of this update than it was in the previous one...

"With your help, we’ve killed over 200 bugs in this update and implemented some great reactivity and conversation suggestions that we received from the community."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom