Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Witcher 3 E3 gameplay demo continued at IGN and Gamespot

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Last week at E3, CD Projekt showed a five minute gameplay demo of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, in which Geralt of Rivia hunted down a griffin in the forest before returning to the city of Novigrad with its head. In an interesting move, they chose to continue that demo from where it stopped in two subsequent private demonstrations with the folks from IGN and Gamespot.

The first part, at IGN, shows Geralt riding through Novigrad and meeting with Dijkstra, an important character from the original novels, to turn in the griffin head. In return, he receives a tip about the location of a creature who was seen with a certain "ashen-haired lass" who he's apparently after - Ciri, I assume. The highlight of this part of the demo is Novigrad itself, which seems amazingly large and detailed. According to the CD Projekt guy accompanying the broadcast, it'll have four different districts and be full of choice and consequence.

1:20-6:45

The story continues in Gamespot's demo, where Geralt arrives at a swamp and finds the creature he's after. It's a mute, child-like Gollum-thingy living in a burrow, which beckons Geralt to follow it through the swamp. This part of the demo isn't as interesting as the first in my opinion, but it does showcase some combat against the Witcher series' favorite race of trash mobs, drowners, and the new "dismemberment system" by which you will be able to chop them up into little bits. The CD Projekt guy explains that the game's combat system will be "tactical", but also "casual"/accessible, easy to learn but hard to master, yadda yadda.

0:50-4:55, 5:15-6:15

It's all very next-gen. But seriously guys, don't use the word "casual".

Deleted member 7219

I wonder if there will actually be other towns and villages besides Novigrad.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if there will actually be other towns and villages besides Novigrad.

Villages have been mentioned in many preview articles in the past. Of course I'm sure they won't be anywhere as large.

Vibalist

Arcane
Looks cool. Had to close the first videa due to that guys horrible narrating. Sounds like he was reading from a piece of paper.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
CD Projekt is spending a lot more money on this than they spent on Witcher 2 so of course they have to make it extra accessible and casual.

Weasel
CD Projekt is spending a lot more money on this than they spent on Witcher 2 so of course they have to make it extra accessible and casual.

Perhaps they're astute enough to follow the words of wisdom of an industry titan:

You won’t, he said, boot up the game only to be greeted with blocks of text explaining its systems in the most alienating fashion, something that’s made it difficult even for me to revisit old classic CRPGs like Baldur’s Gate.

“We’re fairly tutorial-lite. We tried to keep the mechanics so that you can learn up as you go along, where all the complexity just emerges from the scenarios you get put in,” Sawyer elaborated. “We don’t want to dumb it down, but we also don’t want things to be hard to learn or intentionally obtuse. You do have to do a little bit of system learning, but once you’ve learned it, it’s a very consistent system.”

Paul_cz

Arcane
There should also be Oxenfurt in the game. And Skellige Islands will have some settlements.

Deleted member 7219

There should also be Oxenfurt in the game. And Skellige Islands will have some settlements.

So will this basically be Redania + Skellige? If so, we should really have the capital too.

EDIT: Looking at the map here, Tretogor is far to the east. So it looks like we're getting the western part of Redania. http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Redania

Last edited by a moderator:

Vibalist

Arcane

Perhaps they're astute enough to follow the words of wisdom of an industry titan:

You won’t, he said, boot up the game only to be greeted with blocks of text explaining its systems in the most alienating fashion, something that’s made it difficult even for me to revisit old classic CRPGs like Baldur’s Gate.

“We’re fairly tutorial-lite. We tried to keep the mechanics so that you can learn up as you go along, where all the complexity just emerges from the scenarios you get put in,” Sawyer elaborated. “We don’t want to dumb it down, but we also don’t want things to be hard to learn or intentionally obtuse. You do have to do a little bit of system learning, but once you’ve learned it, it’s a very consistent system.”

I really don't see anything wrong with that philosophy. Integrating the tutorials into regular gameplay and teaching players as they go along does not equal making a game simpler or dumber.

Zeriel

Arcane

I really don't see anything wrong with that philosophy. Integrating the tutorials into regular gameplay and teaching players as they go along does not equal making a game simpler or dumber.

No, but "I can't revisit great games because there is reading involved" is one of those sayings that makes you mourn for the human race.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
"Witcher sense" - like these red blobs really matter? Look at the minimap guys and gals. Fucking quest arrow.
:outrage:
Enjoy your open world game with quest arrow. I guess it's too expensive to make voiceactors actually tell you how to reach your destination.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bros, this was never going to be a HardKour ahRPeeGee. If you don't want to run around as a witcher, through a gorgeous-looking world and kill monsters, while enjoying the setting, C&C and some HD boobs, then stay the fuck away.

jdinatale

Cipher
I called it a long time ago, but I think this will be just like Gothic 3. CD Projeckt is like Pyranna Bites (sp, English isn't native), they don't have enough money to make a massive world and then fill it with MEANINGFUL content.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I called it a long time ago, but I think this will be just like Gothic 3. CD Projeckt is like Pyranna Bites (sp, English isn't native), they don't have enough money to make a massive world and then fill it with MEANINGFUL content.

Oh, but there's a very important difference between Piranha Bytes and CD Projekt - one had to pay in Deutschmarks, the other pays in potatos. :smug:

Deleted member 7219

Oh, but there's a very important difference between Piranha Bytes and CD Projekt - one had to pay in Deutschmarks, the other pays in potatos. :smug:

Euro, surely?

Delterius

Arcane

Euro, surely?
Deutschmarks, Euro, Merkelcoins, Austeremoolah — whats the difference?

Xeon

Augur
I kinda don't see GOG as a cash cow, the difference between it and Steam is pretty huge I think.

Edit:
Sorry, for the comparison to Steam even though it was not brought up, But most of GOG's income feels its from indie titles and during sales mostly. Steam has flowing sales from AAA and EA sales and whatever, sale or no sale.

made

Arcane
Infinite cash from abandonware sales... that's akin to a hobo swimming in money from his bottle-collecting business.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom