Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A eulogy for Alignment in CRPGs

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Lambchop19 You're arguing a rule system that was derelict over 20 years and 3.5 editions ago. So your accusation of me arguing for a different D&D game you've never heard of may be apt. Don't throw stones.
Again, I made a ruleset-independent argument, which you’ve once again ignored, and offered to let you quote whatever ruleset you like if you’d like to counter my ruleset argument.

You harping on the age of a system that people still use to play D&D today is irrelevant and basically a concession of defeat, given that you’ve failed to acknowledge my argument doesn’t depend on the ruleset alone twice now.

2nd Edition is also a basis of Paladins in D&D in general. Everything that’s followed has just been a watering down of them and before that they were just a fighter subclass. 4e+ doesn’t even require them to be lawful good anymore, so why would I quote that?

Either way, if we talk about the rules for paladins in relation to them being paragons of good, it’s going to be from years ago and they’re originally based on archetypes from centuries ago, so it’s funny that you think that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lambchop19 You also moved goal posts. Your original premise to me included no information other than breaking an oath to honor a different one. If you want to make an argument state it clearly, rather than imagining what you said after it has been disproven.

Breaking an oath to adhere to your own individual perogative is a chaotic act, whatever it may be. If not, then any violated oath can be washed away with any sophistry. Breaking an oath to honor an equivalent or greater oath makes it neutral. It doesn't mean the the characters alignment has changed. That takes a pattern of behavior. Not complicated.

You also moved goal posts. Your original premise to me included no information other than breaking an oath to honor a different one.
Lie. Quote me. I said “renounce his fealty” in my first post, not “break an oath”. I also said “seems chaotic”, but actually is not.

When you tried to correct me, I specifically mentioned the Expatriate kit.

When you wouldn’t accept that, probably because you didn’t bother to look it up, I quoted it straight from the handbook.

I’ve never moved goalposts. You’ve just failed to read.

If you want to make an argument state it clearly, rather than imagining what you said after it has been disproven.
You’re just being salty after having been repeatedly disproven yourself.

It’s also why you’re not using the quote feature, since responding to my points directly (rather than tagging me and making vague accusations of goalpost moving) would highlight the points I made and the fact that you have no argument against them other than “t-that’s an old game system! it’s old!”. :M
Breaking an oath to adhere to your own individual perogative is a chaotic act, whatever it may be.
Again, the one moving goalposts is you. As I said, while it may seem like he’s broken his oath, he has renounced an oath already broken by his liege/church/whatever.
Breaking an oath to honor an equivalent or greater oath makes it neutral.
I’ve let this slide, but you keep saying it so: no, it doesn’t make it neutral. The only neutral acts are acts made to either preserve the balance or remain uninvolved.

Breaking an oath, which for the umpteenth time is not really what the Expatriate is doing, is a chaotic act, not a neutral act. A neutral act would be not making the oath in the first place.
It doesn't mean the the characters alignment has changed. That takes a pattern of behavior. Not complicated.

It’s not a pattern of behavior that shifts alignment, it’s a change in outlook. Behavior can be a reflection of that, but isn’t needed to shift your alignment.

Vatnik Wumao
Why am I not surprised that this thread already has 20 pages and is still going strong?

iu

Or he might take an action that can be perceived as chaotic, like renouncing his fealty to his liege, while still remaining lawful good.

There is your quote.

Breaking an oath is a chaotic action. Breaking it to honor another commitment makes it neutral. Your revisionism on medeival fealty is also incorrect. The most central aspect of the oath was to always be loyal. The Lord was in turn expected to provide materially. In no way could this simply be shrug off, or revoked over diasgreements. Doing so would take other forms of authority to do so legitimately, either through the church or through entering service of a higher royalty.

A neutral good character does the best that a good person can do. He is devoted to helping others. He works with kings and magistrates but does not feel beholden to them..

Neutral good is the best alignment you can be because it means doing what is good without bias for or against order. ~ 3.5 SRD

That's almost a direct refutation of your argument. 4E broke the conventions and can't be compared. Its I different beast. Lets do 5E:

Lawful good (LG) creatures can be counted on to do the right thing as expected by society.

Neutral good (NG) folk do the best they can to help others according to their needs.

Chaotic good (CG) creatures act as their conscience directs, with little regard for what others expect.

They definitely went with weak definitions here, but in medieval feudalism, honoring your oaths--especially to your lord was extremely important. Breaking with a lord for any reason was basically exiling yourself, at best. Not something that would be described as lawful.

Oaths are meaningful. They are orderly, which falls under Lawful in D&D. Breaking them is inherently chaotic. Do I need to cite classical literature and myths, the foundation of western traditions, for you to understand this?

Breaking an oath is a chaotic action. Breaking it to honor another commitment makes it neutral.
No, it's still chaotic. Killing a baby to save a nun isn't a neutral action. It's an evil action followed by a good action.

You can argue that the motive was neutral, but not the action itself.
Your revisionism on medeival fealty is also incorrect. The most central aspect of the oath was to always be loyal. The Lord was in turn expected to provide materially.
Again, D&D modified and expanded the relationship, per 2E rules. It's not my revision, it's theirs. It now applies to not only a lord, but the church or whatever organization he's swearing fealty to and the liege/organization is now the arbiter of right and wrong.

In no way could this simply be shrug off, or revoked over diasgreements.
And that's not what happens with the Expatriate kit. You'd know that if you read what I quoted.

I'd hardly call being hunted down and treated like a pariah by nobility for life "shrugging off" something.

Or did you mean that Medieval Paladins didn't would lose their class powers regardless of whether or not it was justified? You...know paladins didn't exist, right?

Doing so would take other forms of authority to do so legitimately, either through the church or through entering service of a higher royalty.
This is assuming that's not an option. You are a paladin. You work for a King. The King is now evil. What do you do?

You talk about over-complicating things, but here you are, balking at this simple proposition for two pages now.

Neutral good is the best alignment you can be because it means doing what is good without bias for or against order. ~ 3.5 SRD

That's almost a direct refutation of your argument.

lol, no. I covered this already.
So, reading especially the highlighted bits, you can see that while this is similar to a Neutral Good character's belief that X organization or law isn't necessarily what is right or wrong, it doesn't mean that the Paladin is assuming that laws are meaningless and that good depends on his own judgement alone.
The Paladin still believes in Law and Order, he still has to have a code of beliefs and principles, even in the case of the Expatriate.

Its I different beast. Lets do 5E:
Lawful good (LG) creatures can be counted on to do the right thing as expected by society.

Neutral good (NG) folk do the best they can to help others according to their needs.

Chaotic good (CG) creatures act as their conscience directs, with little regard for what others expect.
lmao, what hot garbage.

It's focused on actions rather than outlook. This is completely wrong, but then 5e says D&D is now about showcasing racial Diversity, so what can you expect?

By 5E's definition, there's zero reason why renouncing an oath to an evil king would be chaotic. I think most people would expect you to. It says "society" and doesn't even specify what parts of society.

It's a completely relativistic ruleset that's obviously made to be nonrestrictive and it's pretty clear that it's part of the trend of WotC phasing alignments out entirely. They asked for alignment not to be included in BG3, from what I understand and paladins can no longer even detect evil.

What's the point of even quoting this trash?

They definitely went with weak definitions here, but in medieval feudalism, honoring your oaths--especially to your lord was extremely important. Breaking with a lord for any reason was basically exiling yourself, at best. Not something that would be described as lawful.
I just find it really funny how the guy who spent two posts refusing to respond to my points with anything other than "hurr hurr, 2nd Edition is so outdated!" is citing medieval feudalism in his argument. :lol:

Or he might take an action that can be perceived as chaotic, like renouncing his fealty to his liege, while still remaining lawful good.
There is your quote.

Breaking an oath is a chaotic action.
Uh huh. And where in my quote did I say "break his oath"? Nowhere. That's my point.

Oaths are meaningful. They are orderly, which falls under Lawful in D&D. Breaking them is inherently chaotic. Do I need to cite classical literature and myths, the foundation of western traditions, for you to understand this?
Myths have little to do with the alignment system, so no.

An oath is an oath and breaking it is a chaotic act. But again, the paladin in this situation isn't breaking it. He is renouncing it because it was already broken by his liege.

Do you understand this:

Breaking an oath, which for the umpteenth time is not really what the Expatriate is doing, is a chaotic act
I said “renounce his fealty” in my first post, not “break an oath”. I also said “seems chaotic”, but actually is not.
I specifically mentioned the Expatriate kit.
A Paladin who renounces his oath for a valid reason isn't committing an unlawful act because the contract was already broken by his liege.
The idea is that the government in this case would be in violation of the law in the Paladin's eyes.
Once a paladin discovers that his church or government has become neutral or evil,
he may immediately renounce his pledge of fealty without penalty.
From that point on, he
is not obligated to follow their edicts.
*Note this doesn't mean without negative repercussion. It just means he's not at risk of losing his class for not repenting of this.
Description: Like the Errant, the Expatriate has no permanent home, wandering from place to place in search of adventure and acceptance. However, the Expatriate is a nomad by circumstance, not choice. A warrior in exile, the Expatriate has renounced his allegiance to the officials or institution that originally granted him his paladinhood. His government or church may have become corrupt, his superiors may have betrayed their commitment to lawful good principles, or he have may have been dismissed for political reasons. In any case, his disillusionment is complete. He now makes his own decisions.
This book takes a broader view of fealty, defining it as loyalty not only to a lord but to any lawful good government, religion, or philosophy. For convenience, we refer to the recipient of a paladin's loyalty as the patron.

Regardless of who—or what—functions as the patron, fealty gives the paladin a sense of belonging to something greater than himself. Fealty also sets the criteria for a paladin's moral code; in essence, the patron establishes the difference between right and wrong, good and evil.
I've been consistent in not referring to this as oath breaking. The conditions oath were already violated when the liege betrayed lawful good principles. The conditions are not the same as medieval fealty and the book specifically states they are an expanded view.

One of the requirements of the paladin class is to belong to a lawful good organization or philosophy. How exactly is he supposed to do that when his liege becomes evil?

Alright. You invoke a singular obscure kit in a splat book from a legacy edition that was outmoded 20 years and 3.5 editions ago to satisfy your ex-post-facto argument. A reference that does absolutely nothing to enhance understanding or use of the alignment system in its current edition. What did you prove?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Larp express.

An alignment system done right helps make it feel even more like a fantasy world, as though it were leaning into the trappings of the setting. It's just another immersion factor like throwing down fireballs or slaying dragons.

Vatnik Wumao
Larp express.

An alignment system done right helps make it feel even more like a fantasy world, as though it were leaning into the trappings of the setting. It's just another immersion factor like throwing down fireballs or slaying dragons.
Well, the alignment system can be considered as a subcategory of the more broad category of reputation systems. And while reputation systems do improve immersion, I think that there are better metrics to integrate within them (e.g. faction relations, personality traits) rather than the two morality scales offered by D&D.

Alright. You have a singular obscure kit
Except this isn't from the kit:

Once a paladin discovers that his church or government has become neutral or evil,
he may immediately renounce his pledge of fealty without penalty.
From that point on, he
is not obligated to follow their edicts.

It's in general for all paladins. The kit is an optional consequence. He could also find another LG liege if one will take him.

that was outmoded 20 years and 3.5 editions ago
He says as he lectures me on medieval traditions. :lol:

which satisfies your ex-post-facto argument.
So you admit I'm right...

A reference that does absolutely nothing to enhance understanding or use of the alignment system in its current edition. What did you prove?

The point of all this was that there's room for nuance in the alignment system. I believe I said as much when I quoted the Paladin's Handbook.

Well, the alignment system can be considered as a subcategory of the more broad category of reputation systems. And while reputation systems do improve immersion, I think that there are better metrics to integrate within them (e.g. faction relations, personality traits) rather than the two morality scales offered by D&D.
It's not about reputation (outward), it's about belief systems (inward).

Reputation does nothing to quantify or define motives.

In a fantasy setting where good and evil battle each other, a system for such definition is beneficial.

Vatnik Wumao
In a fantasy setting where good and evil battle each other, a system for such definition is beneficial.
Only in regards to deities and even then not necessarily. The PoE system of linking personality traits to deities works just fine and is much more intuitive (e.g. it is much easier to define what constitutes a cruel or aggressive act rather than an 'evil' one), thus also reducing the issues some players take with the representation of the D&D both in tabletop and computer RPGs.

That being said, I do concede the fact that neither system is perfect. Don't remember how it was for the original, but in Deadfire you'll pretty much end up with significant points in almost all of the personality traits if you do not go out of your way to avoid it.

Only in regards to deities and even then not necessarily. The PoE system of linking personality traits to deities works just fine and is much more intuitive (e.g. it is much easier to define what constitutes a cruel or aggressive act rather than an 'evil' one), thus also reducing the issues some players take with the representation of the D&D both in tabletop and computer RPGs.
Moral relativism has really done a number on the brains of today's youth, lemme tell ya. So basically because "good" and "evil" are politically charged, they just want us to use different words?

Nothing feels more fantasy than Lothander, the "friendly" aligned deity. And I guess a red dragon that burns villages for fun isn't evil either, he's just mean.

Not that I'm blaming you for this, mind you. It's just all so tiresome...
That being said, I do concede the fact that neither system is perfect. Don't remember how it was for the original, but in Deadfire you'll pretty much end up with significant points in almost all of the personality traits if you do not go out of your way to avoid it.
:dead:

So cool. You cite an outdated edition that says your Paladin and break with authority and remain Lawful. I cite an outdated edition that defines two non lawful alignments that accurately represent that action. Sounds like we can agree to be correct.

Vatnik Wumao
Moral relativism has really done a number on the brains of today's youth, lemme tell ya. So basically because "good" and "evil" are politically charged, they just want us to use different words?
Nah, moral absolutism has done a number on yours. The issue is that people today do not have a shared outlook on morality (although many elements do overlap for the majority of people), so it is harder to codify good and evil without having parts of the playerbase annoyed that it is not representative for their own moral compass. And that's why a lot of devs portray good and evil as stupid good and stupid evil respectively (e.g. BG, KotOR), since your average player gets it and can play along even if it finds such a portrayal as being a caricature of the two and thus less enjoyable than a more mature characterization. For a more nuanced portrayal though, you end up frustrating people since the ties between choice and alignment often aren't intuitive.

You cite an outdated edition
Sure, but I digress. Please, tell me more about medieval feudalism. :M
your Paladin and break with authority and remain Lawful.
Breaking with an authority isn't breaking all authorities or with lawful principles. And said authority already broke with the paladin in loyalty, hence the why he would leave.

I cite an outdated edition that defines two non lawful alignments that accurately represent that action.
Except you didn't and I explained why.
Sounds like we can agree to be correct.
lol no. :lol:

Nah, moral absolutism has done a number on yours.
Nah, nothing of what I've written has been absolutist. See my entire argument with the other mag above.

The issue is that people today do not have a shared outlook on morality (although many elements do overlap for the majority of people), so it is harder to codify good and evil without having parts of the playerbase annoyed that it is not representative for their own moral compass.
Eh, I agree in principle that people are frustrated by not seeing good and evil represented the way they want, but I think it's that people know what good and evil is and simply don't want to acknowledge it. Instead they want to redefine it and seeing classical representations of it frustrate them.

And that's why a lot of devs portray good and evil as stupid good and stupid evil respectively (e.g. BG, KotOR), since your average player gets it and can play along even if it finds such a portrayal as being a caricature of the two and thus less enjoyable than a more mature characterization. For a more nuanced portrayal though, you end up frustrating people since the ties between choice and alignment often aren't intuitive.
This is probably true.

Or they just suck at writing. :M

Vatnik Wumao
Nah, moral absolutism has done a number on yours.
Nah, nothing of what I've written has been absolutist.
Absolutist in terms of there being a single way of portraying good and evil.

The issue is that people today do not have a shared outlook on morality (although many elements do overlap for the majority of people), so it is harder to codify good and evil without having parts of the playerbase annoyed that it is not representative for their own moral compass.
Eh, I agree in principle that people are frustrated by not seeing good and evil represented the way they want, but I think it's that people know what good and evil is and simply don't want to acknowledge it. Instead they want to redefine it and seeing classical representations of it frustrate them.
The problem with classical representations is that usually they end up constricting the tone of the plot and setting, so you're often left with the equivalent of fairy tales either played straight and being more wholesome or with some edgy content added to the mix (i.e. gore, sex and the like) which tries to make a simplistic story more mature and interesting, but ends up being infantile and silly. Either of the two can work if you're into that, but there should be more types of stories than just these two.

And that's why a lot of devs portray good and evil as stupid good and stupid evil respectively (e.g. BG, KotOR), since your average player gets it and can play along even if it finds such a portrayal as being a caricature of the two and thus less enjoyable than a more mature characterization. For a more nuanced portrayal though, you end up frustrating people since the ties between choice and alignment often aren't intuitive.
This is probably true.

Or they just suck at writing. :M
Most RPG writers nowadays suck at writing, so it's a moot point.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I think those good vs evil descriptors strengthen the case that there's too much overlap between good/law and chaos/evil.
For example, being Honest and Sincere is lawful. You can be pretty vicious while telling the truth, and if you want to be nice 100% of the time, you'd have to lie or deceive quite often.
And the Evil descriptor of 'Mischievous' is clearly a Chaotic adjective.
Yes, the fundamental flaw of Gygax's two-axis alignment system lies not in the good/evil axis but in the law/chaos axis, which from the beginning was not clearly defined as a single concept orthogonal to the good/evil axis. This was aggravated by Gygax's presentation of the new alignment system in the AD&D core rulebooks and his attempts to present each of the nine alignment combinations distinctly. Chaotic could now mean "freedom", "individual volition", "randomness", "individual caprice", "whims", "disorder", or "individualism"; Lawful could mean "strict order", "stringent discipline", "regulation", "predictability", "regimentation", or "organization". When other writers at TSR began assessing alignment, the meanings of law and chaos became even more muddled.

The best solution for any campaign/game is to choose an interpretation of law & chaos that is simpler, clearly defined, not conflated with good & evil, and relevant to the factions of the setting. For example, the Thief series features a conflict between Hammerites and Pagans, with the latter serving as the villains of the first game when Garrett must foil the plans of the Trickster (while allying with the Hammerites), but an offshoot of the former serving as the villains of the second game when Garrett must foil the plans of the Mechanists (while allying with the Pagans). From their presentation in all three games, it is seen that both groups can harbor good individuals as well as evil, but the factions themselves and their philosophies are fundamentally unattached to either good or evil, instead serving as the poles of law & chaos in this particular setting.

Drepts_tale_05.jpg
Birchhead.jpg

TG_B13_04.jpg
TG_CS06_08.jpg

T2_KarportS.GIF
TG_CS06_05.jpg

I’m not saying that. Far from it. There’s more than one way to represent all of the alignments even.
The problem with classical representations is that usually they end up constricting the tone of the plot and setting, so you're often left with the equivalent of fairy tales either played straight and being more wholesome or with some edgy content added to the mix (i.e. gore, sex and the like) which tries to make a simplistic story more mature and interesting, but ends up being infantile and silly. Either of the two can work if you're into that, but there should be more types of stories than just these two.
No, the paladin is about the most fairy tale like class there is and yet, he doesn’t need to be played that way. Per all the handbooks, alignment doesn’t lock you into anything, it just defines your view of the world. Read that expatriate kit I posted on the other page.

There’s nothing stopping a paladin from departing the path of good or law entirely. It’s just a bad idea for him to do so.

You can have a Druid who believes in hugging trees and feeding bunnies or you can have an edgy boi Shadow Druid who lights a village on fire to protect the grove from encroachment. Both can be true neutral. They just have different methods for preserving the Balance.

I used to think like you do about the alignment system. But the more I learned about it over time, the more I appreciated it as a flexible and nuanced system and a useful role-playing mechanic.

Vatnik Wumao
I’m not saying that. Far from it. There’s more than one way to represent all of the alignments even.
No, the paladin is about the most fairy tale like class there is and yet, he doesn’t need to be played that way. Per all the handbooks, alignment doesn’t lock you into anything, it just defines your view of the world. Read that expatriate kit I posted on the other page.

There’s nothing stopping a paladin from departing the path of good or law entirely. It’s just a bad idea for him to do so.

You can have a Druid who believes in hugging trees and feeding bunnies or you can have an edgy boi Shadow Druid who lights a village on fire to protect the grove from encroachment. Both can be true neutral. They just have different methods for preserving the Balance.

I used to think like you do about the alignment system. But the more I learned about it over time, the more I appreciated it as a flexible and nuanced system and a useful role-playing mechanic.
I would agree with you when it comes to a tabletop setting where there's a DM with whom you can debate these things and find some common ground. Doesn't translate that well to CRPGs where the choices are designed not with a specific PC in mind, but with the actions themselves.

I would agree with you when it comes to a tabletop setting where there's a DM with whom you can debate these things and find some common ground. Doesn't translate that well to CRPGs where the choices are designed not with a specific PC in mind, but with the actions themselves.
Yes, but as with anything, that’s the fault of the devs and not the system.

Implementing small alignment shifts only for moral events and not giving the player dozens of light side and dark side points for every other dialog option would solve this I most cases. Or just simply going BG on alignments and not shifting them regardless would be an option.

Instead they just chose to axe the whole thing in BG3. Sad.

Vatnik Wumao
Yes, but as with anything, that’s the fault of the devs and not the system.
I wouldn't trust current game devs with a proper D&D alignment system. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom