Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A great example of why TES matters

Drakron

Arcane
Honestly TES dont have enough information for TIL need a new format, making it a Wiki would not improve TIL in any way.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Drakron said:
Honestly TES dont have enough information for TIL need a new format, making it a Wiki would not improve TIL in any way.

I respectfully disagree with you. Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon, Oblivion, and whatever future Elder Scrolls products may be released in the future, each with a huge amount of information, characters, secrets, lore, character & game system & game play differences, quest lines, creatures, etc. It's a ton of info that will be expanding over time. It's the kind of thing Wiki was devised for in the first place.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
That's a pretty good article. Had a lot of things that I never picked up while playing through the game all those times. I'm not too big on reading the in-game literature.

Maybe we will see the Dwemer when we enter Oblivion in The Elder Scrolls IV.

Sinder Velvin

Arcane
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Because it'd be easier to add new info

I think there's already enough bias at TIL, even though we staff members supposedly know the lore well and even though we supposedly look at things from a rather objective point of view.

Do we really need more bias?

Do we really need 13 year olds writing comments like "Orcz0rz are teh uber, OMGWTFLOL"?

In my opinion, More Staff Members > Wiki.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Sinder Velvin said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Because it'd be easier to add new info

I think there's already enough bias at TIL, even though we staff members supposedly know the lore well and even though we supposedly look at things from a rather objective point of view.

Do we really need more bias?

Do we really need 13 year olds writing comments like "Orcz0rz are teh uber, OMGWTFLOL"?

In my opinion, More Staff Members > Wiki.

You missed the next part:

MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I wouldn't advocate opening up article submission/modification to EVERYONE

:) But hey, it was just a thought. I'm not trying to tell you how to run your site.

Proweler

Scholar
It's Sinders site? Damd, didn't knew that. Always thought it was Xanathar.

Sinder Velvin

Arcane
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
:) But hey, it was just a thought. I'm not trying to tell you how to run your site.

Well, your opinion does matter very much to me. :)

It's just that I hate the disadvantages of Wiki more than I love the advantages.

Proweler said:

I think "your" was used in the plural.

But yes, I'm just another staff member. Xan's the one who started it all. :)

Although we use a veto system, if Xan decides he wants Wiki, I'll accept his decision.

bryce777

Erudite
Sinder Velvin said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

Well, your opinion does matter very much to me. :)

It's just that I hate the disadvantages of Wiki more than I love the advantages.

Proweler said:

I think "your" was used in the plural.

But yes, I'm just another staff member. Xan's the one who started it all. :)

Although we use a veto system, if Xan decides he wants Wiki, I'll accept his decision.

Wiki is the most homosexual thing ever devised.

ExMonk

Scholar
GhanBuriGhan said:
Its noteworthy that this guide was started by my good friend Raptormeat at Aldrien's chalice. He is now a Bethesda Dev. Yes, TES lore is fun, and surprisingly deep in its ambiguity. In the past there were great forum "dicusions" with developers impersonating in-game characters. It's indeed one of my favourite aspecst of the series.

Raptormeat a Bethesda Dev? Didn't know that. That explains why I haven't seen his name pop up on the forums for ages.

I used to greatly enjoy when Tedders would visit Andel Crodo's The Essential Site just to chew the fat. I enjoyed it even more when Kirkbride occasionally dropped by to hold forth on lore questions.

Next to the TES lore, which I love, I loved the world of the Raymond Feist novels that formed the backdrop for the Krondor games. I'd love to see someone continue that series.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
Tintin, seriously.

You are a fucking joke. Don't you realise just how stupid you look to everyone who visits here? I'm giving you a useful suggestion. If you are too stupid to understand discussion, you'll be doing yourself a big favour by just fucking back off to the TES forum. Yes, you are a stupid, useless little twat. But at least you'll be amongst some good company there.

Nope sorry, you're the one that's out of order here, was there really any need to go completely batshit insane like that?

EDIT: ha nm, just realised how old the thread is :P

Fintilgin

Educated
Speaking of how old the thread is, the origional interview everyone is discussing seems to have been removed from the site in question. All that link leads to now is a bit where he's pretending to be a Kajiit.
Also the news for October 2 on that site says:

In other news, Part 1 of the Douglas Goodall interview has been removed.

Anyone save a copy? I'm curious to read what he had to say.

Sinder Velvin

Arcane
Fintilgin said:
Speaking of how old the thread is, the origional interview everyone is discussing seems to have been removed from the site in question. All that link leads to now is a bit where he's pretending to be a Kajiit.

We removed it because we were asked by another ex-dev to do so.

Twinfalls

Erudite
What the fuck? What's with the necroing?

fizzlepoguss, who the fuck are you again? And why are you playing retard rescue in some old thread?

And Sinder instead of necroing old threads, how about you explain why the Goodall interview has been removed? Hey - I'm an ex-dev too - I want the interview put back there.

This Goodall thing is actually some serious shit. Perhaps you might want to provide some answers in the new thread I start on this.

Section8

Cipher
Just a reminder for would be necromancers. Necromancy is practiced by fuckers like this guy:

XZAR.jpg

No matter how much you want it, you can't peel your face off, so don't even try.

Sinder Velvin

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
And Sinder instead of necroing old threads, how about you explain why the Goodall interview has been removed? Hey - I'm an ex-dev too - I want the interview put back there.

This Goodall thing is actually some serious shit. Perhaps you might want to provide some answers in the new thread I start on this.

Ok. I'll post in that thread.

Astarsis

Novice
kathode said:
Twinfalls said:
And this is why I hope TES in future avoids going down the 'making everything metaphoric for human historical eras' path - the 'Cyrodiil is now Ancient Rome' thing. We need original, fantastical game worlds to flourish.
Someone's a Doug Goodall fan ;)

Doug had some good point. You don't have to oversimplify things.

Personally I like the way Cyrodil turned out, not as much ancient Rome, as a strange cross between Dark Age / Frank and Late roman empire.

The Bretons and Nords turned rather good too.

The problem I see is the Cyrodil-Nord filiation of names, unless you consider that the latin names are more an Alesian thing / more like from the primitive tribe of the area.
In any case the latin names fit with the Septim dynasty. And that's back to Arena. Even Daggerfall had that Roman touch. It's nothing new to me. Arena itself had the ancient gods temple which had a greek/roman feel to it (and are I guess the origin of the whole Daedra idea)

However the Redguard are awfull. They all got American Slaves names instead of African / Arab names as expected from Redguard/Arena. It could be justifiable for the Forebearer as a way to distinguish them from the crowns. But it still sound really weird. Also in Morrowind they looked like afro-american rather than like pure blooded african (like the Zulu !!!, which was the look of Daggerfall) or arabic like Redguard

I didn't like the transformation of the Dark Elves, but everyone knows that :D

At least I did apreciate the attempt at giving them a style, even if I didn't lie what that syle ended up. The Telvanni were rather cool. Even the Redoran had some fun aspect, but while you heard about duel you never saw them :( The Hlaalu were really weird. To say the least ! I won't even dare name the forbiden Hlallu guy :oops:

Khajit and Argonian were really cool to watch go arround. I'll miss their weird walk, but at least they keep their style which add a lot of flavor, even if personally I wouldn't play a beast. Was tempted by Argonian thought.

I liked the old human-looking khajit bvetter, but they were little more than tattoed wood elves,tatoo support would be a cool addition (plugin ?)

The one I really didn't like is the the Redguard who

Astarsis

Novice
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Twinfalls said:
Yes, but the points he made are very, very valid, non?

No, I don't think so. I think you're just latching on to him because he's speaking out against Bethesda's practices, and you're not realizing that he's really speaking out of bitterness over not being able to change things to the way HE wanted them.

Other devs were disatisfied from what I heard, on a few points. But that's unavoidable. When you work as a team you make compromises.

From the way he speak I would say there was a communication problem and big egos perhaps, the usual thing in moddern society.

To his defense he confessed to arguing too much.

I would tend like him to say there is a lack of continuity in the TES Serie, at some point you guys should Iron it out and choose the truth / settings once and for all. So things don't start zapping all over the place :roll: like Khajit suddenly having 3 eyes or something you know :oops:

It's understandable things got Chaotic in the past thought, and that itteration won't always have the exact same scale / same exact content.

At least there is some degree of coherence.

Was just weird having no snow in Morrowind :D Unexpected. Personally I blamed it on the blight

Astarsis

Novice
Twinfalls said:
I'll be honest, MSFD: I am latching onto him because he has perfectly articulated almost every single reason I was so disappointed with Morrowind.

In the order in which he raises them:

1. Jettisoning procedural quests and game-world;
2. Poor, inchoate MQ (to which I'd add cliched - 'you are the chosen one');
3. Discarding of analogue combat;
4. Wiki dialogue depriving the player of any real character role-play and development;
5. Lack of interesting NPC characters;
6. Turning Cyrodiilians into Romans (ie contradicting lore, moving away from original fantasy.)

To which I would add removal of skills and factions, and discarding of multiple MQ paths and multiple resolutions.

Notice I did not focus on his disagreements with Ken or anyone else. The list above stands up regardless of the rights/wrongs/history of his personal interactions with others, or his motivation in speaking. That stuff is not relevant here, MSFD, and your focus on that strikes me as a red herring.

On #6 see my other post, or play back Daggerfall another time.

On #1 - no excuses for the procedural quests. But I haven't seen any procedural 3D generator. DF was not really 3D. It was tiled. Dungeons were basicaly a cube.

Still Blockhead proved procedural dungeon were possible, and now Bethesda has put back *some* procedural generation but not in game. procedural clutter generation could be tricky.

On #2, I liked the *you are the choosen one* but not the *you're the pawn of the prophecy* or the you must f#@% Uncle Cassius - that was silly - especially considering it was rated teen.

#3 I agree completly

#4/5 I was disapointed by both game. it lack a social stucture simulation. reputations are not enought

agree on all the rest

Twinfalls

Erudite
TGGP - I'm not really.

Well, I did write a version of Pong for the c64. It had two balls.

TWO BALLS

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Twinfalls said:
TGGP - I'm not really.

Well, I did write a version of Pong for the c64. It had two balls.

TWO BALLS
Thanks for the response. Rosh didn't respond when I asked him what he worked on, so now that he's not here to defend himself I encourage everyone more knowledgeable than I to slander his work here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom