Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Legionary's Life - historical Roman soldier simulator RPG

ValeVelKal

Arcane
So I finished the game as a Senator (though not rich enough to be Consul - is that even possible) and while the experience was cool I don't feel it is really replayable. There is only one build (in THEORY you choose between the skills and the physic stats, but since you get soft capped on skill progression by your popularity you just do both), "smart" characters are so much better than physical characters and there is not enough "branching" in the game to make much replay interesting.

It was a worthwhile experience for the price though. Would replay the game where I am a soldier in a civil war and I get to pick a side and maybe change the fate of the war because I became a centurion and led my troops properly.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Would replay the game where I am a soldier in a civil war and I get to pick a side and maybe change the fate of the war because I became a centurion and led my troops properly.

image-asset.png

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Is there another game with such a combat system where a whiff makes you easier to hit and drops your acc?
Such a hard negative feedback loop is rare...
I guess in fighting games, a poke that is punishable by a super or reversal is an example. Or some kind of stunlock. But in TB?

The game is very shallow once you realize that CHA is an OP stat.
I thought it plently hard first couple of heroic runs but once I rolled a high CHA char, all went butter smooth. Chainmail super early, best sparring partners. Then its a waiting game. Going swimming and for a run...
Fa8Dw19.png

SEn67xw.png

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
how does one become a consul?
Finished game with 2 civic crowns, had awa, int, cha 80+.

From what I can find over internet that should have been enough but it wasnt. Had 2 mural crowns even, all the dispositions maxed, virtue at 80% or so

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, that was a disappointment. It's just a RNG CYOA in with a roman theme, I've seen that before!

But seriously, it needs much more content and less rigid structure to be a proper SIM/RPG. I'm not sure if it's even a game, it's more like... autism stroking device.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
The music that starts at 0:57 was familiar to me:

It's also used in the ending of QFG3 at 2:12 here:

I've probably heard it elsewhere too... anyone know what it's called?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
how does one become a consul?
Finished game with 2 civic crowns, had awa, int, cha 80+.

From what I can find over internet that should have been enough but it wasnt. Had 2 mural crowns even, all the dispositions maxed, virtue at 80% or so

Don't you need the grass crown?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
finally did it, became consul with 2 civic crowns and maxed all the bars(including virtue).
EDIT: actually thought Im going to get 1st crown too. Passed insane AWA check only to discover there is quickness check that I failed with 60 lol

Though I'll get grass crown since I've broken through phalanx 3 times. Problem was that middle one gave me bad snowballing rng and I couldnt kill all enemies inside. I assume that it was the reason I didnt get int check ive red about. Otherwise failing with 89 int is annoying. Still I hope im finally done.
Too bad, with grass crown id probably break 10k points

Aemar

Arcane
Yeah, pushing them down with shield and slitting the throat is viable 90% of the time. Hell, a superman can even push down the damn phalanx by himself (though chopping it up is preferred). There are a few boss fights where this does not work, so you have to be careful.

Also the numbers lie in somecases, what looks like 75%+ chance can get some hidden modifier applied it to it, which turns it into a practical 0% chance.
How so? Also I finished the game, I expected something longer and better and more replayable. There is no different builds that gives you other things in the game. We have many stats but they barely do anything.

The only reason I don't ask for refund because you can do something good with that money.
Like a decent replayable rpg

But I must say I did love the writing.
Wastelander404 (Warsim dev) would probably take this game to new heights. Can't complain though, the game is good for what it is. We need more titles like this.

Developer
Aemar, Haha cheers mate. If I could only finish my current game! I struggle to not keep expanding

I'm sorry I saw this so late but appreciate the kind words mate <3

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Aemar, Haha cheers mate. If I could only finish my current game! I struggle to not keep expanding

I'm sorry I saw this so late but appreciate the kind words mate <3

Scope creep is the name of the game. It's natural for gamedevs to want to expand their horizons. Knowing when to stop is the key.

Developer
Tyranicon, Oh 100% mate, I fully agree with you. When I first started on my game I was making it just for myself and was fucking about. I just added whatever I wanted and didn't worry about finishing certain aspects.

Ended up putting it on reddit and getting some downloads, and then eventually steam. I had so many comments with suggestions and ideas, and the worst thing of all was that they were pretty fucking good ideas 99% of the time. I basically never rejected a single idea. It's been 6+ years of development now. My game is an ascii game so making changes to it is a little easier than most I imagine, and even with that and over 150 updates (some with 1000+ features) since going on steam I've still got so much left to do haha.

I don't regret it but I can't ever let myself get this ensared by scope creep again in future projects. Although I feel like if managed it can improve a game a lot (but the managing it part is the real tough bit).

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Nice game here!

After several shortlived tries my next soldier, Biggus Dickus managed to complete the Spanish campaign and was acting heroicly during the African campaign... until he defeated one of the Punic commanders in single combat, only to be cut down by two of the basic Libyan spearmen. Oh well, I'll try my luck next time!

Very fun experience. Will fight on soon.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
After 18 futile attempts which died all somewhere in the beginning of the game, I rolled some nice stats and won the game. The highest score before was 202 and third place 119, all other attempts didn't even manage to get to 100 points. Was a fun experience and I liked the combat! In the end the random events were a little too much for my taste I often couldn't even do more than one action in the camp until I got into another one. Also the ladder-event came up like 3 times or something which was a tad often.
The game feels very polished, although after some attempts it was a bit frustrating and it was weird to have this relatively linear RPG with permadeath at first.
One thing I would have really liked: Get some interaction with the family which has a consequence. The family part felt meaningless.

Cool ending, nice gameplay! Great game, can recommend it! Bought it at full price (which is very cheap imho) and don't regret it; was the first game for full price which I bought for a loong time.

won-legionary.png

Bigg Boss

Arcane
After 18 futile attempts which died all somewhere in the beginning of the game, I rolled some nice stats and won the game. The highest score before was 202 and third place 119, all other attempts didn't even manage to get to 100 points. Was a fun experience and I liked the combat! In the end the random events were a little too much for my taste I often couldn't even do more than one action in the camp until I got into another one. Also the ladder-event came up like 3 times or something which was a tad often.
The game feels very polished, although after some attempts it was a bit frustrating and it was weird to have this relatively linear RPG with permadeath at first.
One thing I would have really liked: Get some interaction with the family which has a consequence. The family part felt meaningless.

Cool ending, nice gameplay! Great game, can recommend it! Bought it at full price (which is very cheap imho) and don't regret it; was the first game for full price which I bought for a loong time.

View attachment 21727

This post made me want the game.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Put in another few hours and retired - sadly no achievement for retiring. Got a higher rank due to high charisma and brownnosing taking extra guard shifts etc. Also tried some of the meaner options which was interesting. I would say that replayability is fairly limited after you beat the game once. There's still stuff to discover but it doesn't feel very rewarding to put in so much time since the beginning still feels a little bit like a slot machine sometimes (but maybe I'm doing something wrong) and after looking at the achievements, many feel like minor side stuff which I could accomplish.

Would still recommend the game, especially for the price.

retired.png

Edit: So, I played the game again, I still wanted to experience more. Had a fun ride this time, got three new achievements (got a new promotion, my shield and sword skills were excellent and had my first duel). Playing as a higher rank certainly offered a little bit more variety and a couple more options.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom