Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Admit it: You are going to buy Fallout 4.

Select one once you've come to peace with the truth

• Day 1 pip-boy edition preorder

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • Collector's edition

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Fine I admit you're right but just the regular edition

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Grudgingly buy it after release

Votes: 24 6.5%
  • Borrow from swedish unlicensed maritime tax collectors

Votes: 73 19.7%
  • I WON'T DO IT I TELL YOU!!!/in denial/kingcomrade

Votes: 39 10.5%
  • OP is a faggot

Votes: 197 53.1%

• Total voters

Lorenzen

Augur
If that's true then that just speaks volumes about the overall quality of New Vegas, so... Thanks, I guess?

(In the sense that I don't really approve of additional paid content to make a game already paid for whole or a better experience, or whatever - it just seems dirty to me)

Nahel

Arcane
Well that is not exactly an achievement. The only part of Oblivion which could pretend to have some writing was the assassin guild.

Epsilon

Cipher
Well that is not exactly an achievement. The only part of Oblivion which could pretend to have some writing was the assassin guild.
To be fair I liked the final part of the thieves guild as well, if memory serves. But it wasn't exactly original; prince becomes king of the thieves and then a prince again after having redeemed himself, still there was more depth and thought to that story arc than most of the rest of the game. And the missions paled in comparison to those in the Thief games anyway.

As far as shooters go, Fallout 4 probably won't be too bad. It's rather silly that they advertise its faults (RPG gameplay) rather than its strengths (open-world FPS gameplay).

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
casual rpgs have a broader appeal than shooters, i know lots of chicks who claim to love skyrim for gamer grrl cred for example but would never admit to playing cod:black cocks. besides with their marketing budget they can sell canned shit and people will love it

welcome to the codex btw and enjoy your brofist defloration

CrawlingDead

Learned
I'm not sure if I would ever buy another Bethesda title again actually. This is coming from someone who was the biggest Elder Scrolls fan you can think of, but following the release of Oblivion, they've simply abandoned their old fanbase. Interestingly, the game that made them huge in the first place, they've also abandoned that fanbase. I know very few Morrowind fans, who've appreciated the direction of TES.

Just looking at Fallout 3, it is clearly an Oblivion mod. It wasn't impressive upon release, and it's a real pain the ass to even run on modern PCs, but you can still play it on 360! Bethesda has simply jumped on the console bandwagon, while under estimating the average console user in an effort to appeal to appeal to as many gamers as possible. One day Bethesda is going to make a flop and spiral downward to bankruptcy. You can't expect to appeal to everyone and be relevant at the same time. Even Bioware knows this. Their market isn't Call of Duty fans, but Bethesda does seem to be trying to appeal to that crowd for some reason.

Perkel

Arcane
Of course

Buy game, play mods.

I have 0 hope for good vanilla game

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
System requirements are out:

Minimum
Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent

Recommended
Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent

A couple of odd things, one is that apparently a GTX 550 ti is equivalent in capabilities as a HD 7870 in Bethesdaworld, yet:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=324&cmp[]=16

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-550-Ti-vs-AMD-HD-7870/3161vs2161

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+550+Ti/review
http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+Radeon+HD+7870/review

Even the HD 7770 is faster than the gtx 550 ti and the HD 7770 is a terrible GPU. It's just.. odd. That's all.

Another odd thing is the massive CPU demand for this game on PC, when the consoles are using something close to an AMD A8. Granted AMD would claim the A8 is an amazing CPU, but it is way, way weaker than an i5-2300 and the Phenom II X4 945.

So the consoles run the game basically on an AMD A8 (2012 generation) and a HD 7790 with 8GB of shared RAM and PCs basically need twice the CPU power just to meet the minimum specs... and half the GPU power if they have nvidia GPUs for some reason.

CrawlingDead

Learned
System requirements are out:

Minimum
Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent

Recommended
Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent

A couple of odd things, one is that apparently a GTX 550 ti is equivalent in capabilities as a HD 7870 in Bethesdaworld, yet:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=324&cmp[]=16

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-550-Ti-vs-AMD-HD-7870/3161vs2161

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+550+Ti/review
http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+Radeon+HD+7870/review

Even the HD 7770 is faster than the gtx 550 ti and the HD 7770 is a terrible GPU. It's just.. odd. That's all.

Another odd thing is the massive CPU demand for this game on PC, when the consoles are using something close to an AMD A8. Granted AMD would claim the A8 is an amazing CPU, but it is way, way weaker than an i5-2300 and the Phenom II X4 945.

So the consoles run the game basically on an AMD A8 (2012 generation) and a HD 7790 with 8GB of shared RAM and PCs basically need twice the CPU power just to meet the minimum specs... and half the GPU power if they have nvidia GPUs for some reason.
This just looks like some bullshit. Beth just wrote some specs down to give lip-service to PC users. They couldn't give two shits about the PC platform.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

You forget that the consoles use close to the metal APIs, while the PC uses DX11. That offsets a lot.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He also forgets that developers, especially ones named Bethesda, have no idea how to optimise any more.
I'd wager they'll forget to even tick 'Enable Optimisations' in Visual Studio again.

pippin

Bethesda knows that, and I'm pretty sure they are working on a way to make you pay for mods. At least they tried once.

Bethesda designs the game to work around the limitations of the consoles, then slaps a port on the PC with some graphics options and keyboard prompts by default. Done. As has been procedure since Oblivion.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
I'm tempted to wait until the inevitable GOTY edition is out. Mods will be in a more mature state (including unofficial patches) and I might actually be able to enjoy the game.

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
they might be inspired to write a proper post-apocalyptic game if someone nuked their offices

it's worth a try

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Those minimum specs can't be for real. Maybe 1% of home PCs match that spec.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom