Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

After playing a lot of JRPGs, most CRPGs became tedious

Falksi

Arcane
What are the JRPG elements of Planescape ?

The graphics are so lush and detailed, that they make you squint your eyes like a Jap to examine them further

Cz7EnW4.gif

Last edited:

Derringer

Prophet
The only Persona game I've tried is Persona 4 Golden, and I didn't like it at all. That series is a little too anime-flavored for my taste.
I've heard it was influenced by Jojo so I was urged to give it a shot, but after checking out some gameplay videos I was turned off. Escaping into this clandestine sodomy world to battle silly-looking demons will never comapre to something like that Superfly fight. Also, the writing and art direction are terrible.

Nocturne might be good, though. I'll def check it out when the price drops down to something reasonable.
Nocturne is certainly a lot more bearable to play compared to most Persona games.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've heard it was influenced by Jojo
I've never seen anyone actually making a serious comparison between Persona and Jojo, you probably got meme'd because they did have some superficial similarities.

People overestimate how popular Jojo was regularily.
It was only the newest anime where it really took off internationally, which then made it more popular in Japan in turn. The high meme value made it seem obitiquous with "IS THIS A JOJO REFERENCE" everywhere.
7 years ago before the internet meme culture made zoomers boost Jojo through the heavens it was smaller than Yu Yu Hakusho even. A well known older manga series, but far from the cultural all star it is today.

https://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q12105828662

Japan DeepL translated said:
To put it bluntly, it was not popular.

Nowadays, "Jojo brand" has been established, but

It was a minor work that was supported by "lovers" in Jump for a long time.

It has a lot of elements (design and story) that are difficult to be accepted by "boys".

In fact, when it was made into an anime in the past, it was always a failure.

There is also the fact that the work was not good enough.

If it's popular to begin with, it's going to be a hit regardless of how good it is.

So it was a work that didn't have the power (name recognition) to be animated in the first place.

The reason why they suddenly made it into an anime now is because

The reason why we decided to make it into an anime is because it was featured on "Ametalk" and became a bit of a boom.

I've never read Jojo before.

It was also popular with women who had never read JoJo (and didn't usually have a connection to JUMP works).

The popularity of JoJo has increased rapidly.

Even if it's just a temporary boom, it's got a lot of power.

So we decided to make an anime! So you decided to make it into an anime.

In fact, it seems to me that the boom was set up to coincide with the 25th anniversary (^_^;)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Lucumo

Educated
The only Persona game I've tried is Persona 4 Golden, and I didn't like it at all. That series is a little too anime-flavored for my taste.
I've heard it was influenced by Jojo so I was urged to give it a shot, but after checking out some gameplay videos I was turned off. Escaping into this clandestine sodomy world to battle silly-looking demons will never comapre to something like that Superfly fight. Also, the writing and art direction are terrible.

Nocturne might be good, though. I'll def check it out when the price drops down to something reasonable.
Nocturne is certainly a lot more bearable to play compared to most Persona games.
It's easy to separate the Persona games because the first one and the two second ones are on one side and everything from Persona 3 on, when they started targeting the 13-year-olds, stands on the other.

The reason why we decided to make it into an anime is because it was featured on "Ametalk" and became a bit of a boom.

It was also popular with women who had never read JoJo (and didn't usually have a connection to JUMP works).
Hah, funny that. I think I caught a bit of that Ametalk episode but didn't bother since I don't really care about JoJo (have seen the two older OVAs and they are ok'ish...and certainly look better than that modern crap). The "popular with women" part isn't suprising, considering the main crowd that watches Ametalk and the characters.

Derringer

Prophet
I've heard it was influenced by Jojo
I've never seen anyone actually making a serious comparison between Persona and Jojo, you probably got meme'd because they did have some superficial similarities.

People overestimate how popular Jojo was regularily.
It was only the newest anime where it really took off internationally, which then made it more popular in Japan in turn. The high meme value made it seem obitiquous with "IS THIS A JOJO REFERENCE" everywhere.
7 years ago before the internet meme culture made zoomers boost Jojo through the heavens it was smaller than Yu Yu Hakusho even. A well known older manga series, but far from the cultural all star it is today.

To put it bluntly, it was not popular.

Nowadays, "Jojo brand" has been established, but

It was a minor work that was supported by "lovers" in Jump for a long time.

It has a lot of elements (design and story) that are difficult to be accepted by "boys".

In fact, when it was made into an anime in the past, it was always a failure.

There is also the fact that the work was not good enough.

If it's popular to begin with, it's going to be a hit regardless of how good it is.

So it was a work that didn't have the power (name recognition) to be animated in the first place.

The reason why they suddenly made it into an anime now is because

I've never read Jojo before.

The popularity of JoJo has increased rapidly.

Even if it's just a temporary boom, it's got a lot of power.

So we decided to make an anime! So you decided to make it into an anime.

In fact, it seems to me that the boom was set up to coincide with the 25th anniversary (^_^;)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Most of that was just people from /a/ shitposting making fun of 'anime adaption fans' like they usually did, a lot of /a/ discussion veered into shitposting discord rooms filled with trannyfaggots.

lightbane

Arcane
I barely spent a few moments on Chrono Cross, but my impression is similar. One of the genius aspects of Chrono Trigger* is that each party member is an archetype with a unique silhouette (both visually and narratively). One of the reasons PS:T is such a memorable game is that it copied this idea from Chrono Trigger (something few western RPGs have done). Even a glance at Chrono Cross showed the opposite to be true. CT also takes an extremely simple narrative and then escalates and mildly convolutes it with time travel (the Millennial Fair is one of the most modest openings of a jRPG ever), but CC from the outset felt convoluted and overburdened.

Fun fact: Chrono Cross was meant to be its own thing, but it was shoehorned into being a sequel of Chrono Trigger, by adding a few wall of texts spawned by characters of the first game who hang out there just to say that, as well as retconning things from Trigger.
There was supposed to be a third game, Chrono Break, but it never happened, sadly.

Radiant Historia is perhaps the closest thing we have.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Fun fact: Chrono Cross was meant to be its own thing, but it was shoehorned into being a sequel of Chrono Trigger, by adding a few wall of texts spawned by characters of the first game who hang out there just to say that, as well as retconning things from Trigger.

It's fairly obvious, tbh. Even back then.

I barely spent a few moments on Chrono Cross, but my impression is similar. One of the genius aspects of Chrono Trigger* is that each party member is an archetype with a unique silhouette (both visually and narratively). One of the reasons PS:T is such a memorable game is that it copied this idea from Chrono Trigger (something few western RPGs have done). Even a glance at Chrono Cross showed the opposite to be true. CT also takes an extremely simple narrative and then escalates and mildly convolutes it with time travel (the Millennial Fair is one of the most modest openings of a jRPG ever), but CC from the outset felt convoluted and overburdened.

There was supposed to be a third game, Chrono Break, but it never happened, sadly.

Radiant Historia is perhaps the closest thing we have.

wasn't Chrono Cross a sequel to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_Dreamers

?

mogwaimon

Magister
I was always curious how Jojo suddenly blew up. I mean it was like Fist of the North Star or Berserk in that it was a pretty sweet 80s manga that people didn't bring up often enough and it even had that cool CPS3 fighting game that we even got here in the west that I'd wager was most people's introduction to the series here in America, but for it to blow up to the extent that it did in the late 2010s always baffled me. I'm hoping we get a good 'boom' for the other two manga I mentioned. Berserk at the very least so we can get a decent anime adaptation and...well, because Miura's gone I guess too :negative:

I'm hoping we get a good 'boom' for the other two manga I mentioned. Berserk at the very least so we can get a decent anime adaptation

Nah bro, anime is decline, no anime can adapt the art of things like Beserk and Vagabond:

Berserk-39-_Banner.jpg

MJV-ART.ORG_-_85050-2386x1600-vagabond-inoue+takehiko-highres-male-weapon-katana.jpg

And on top of that, animes are censured and content are cut, so anime is nothing but decline. Only watch animes that are not adaptations from mangas, like Ergo Proxy.

Anonona

Learned
I'm hoping we get a good 'boom' for the other two manga I mentioned. Berserk at the very least so we can get a decent anime adaptation and...well, because Miura's gone I guess too

Sometime ago, I may had agree with this. But now I'm not sure. If something gets big enough, greedy executives would want a piece of the pie. And I'm sure that they won't hesitate to shit all over Miura's work if they think they can make some cash. Last thing I would want is for Berserk to be transformed into a franchise as so many things nowadays...

Even something like One Piece, the anime looks absolutely dogshit compared to the manga:

main-qimg-6d25675fe03c036f21976b679c0bbb33

main-qimg-cdcfe58b18d9f898ef68376fcdb7bc51

main-qimg-e038c12e7cbe4f24bd9bb9eac792f2ab

main-qimg-d69a5fc6c8f275f0433a944d458c8b46

main-qimg-c6313b2838005787e70b9106b2506b78

Last edited:

mogwaimon

Magister
Even something like One Piece, the anime looks absolutely dogshit compared to the manga:

main-qimg-6d25675fe03c036f21976b679c0bbb33

main-qimg-cdcfe58b18d9f898ef68376fcdb7bc51

main-qimg-e038c12e7cbe4f24bd9bb9eac792f2ab

main-qimg-d69a5fc6c8f275f0433a944d458c8b46

main-qimg-c6313b2838005787e70b9106b2506b78

I 100% agree on the later anime, like...starting at the CP9 arc and even more notable later on they got this new studio working on the animation and you ended up with massive necks on people who shouldn't have them like Sanji and weird looking noses and all that shit. The early anime before Water 7 (including the Little Garden arc) looked a lot more faithful to the original art in the manga as a whole.

I'm hoping we get a good 'boom' for the other two manga I mentioned. Berserk at the very least so we can get a decent anime adaptation

Nah bro, anime is decline, no anime can adapt the art of things like Beserk and Vagabond:

Berserk-39-_Banner.jpg

MJV-ART.ORG_-_85050-2386x1600-vagabond-inoue+takehiko-highres-male-weapon-katana.jpg

And on top of that, animes are censured and content are cut, so anime is nothing but decline. Only watch animes that are not adaptations from mangas, like Ergo Proxy.

I mean, you're right and all. I prefer to read manga over watch anime because of that especially because anime almost never finishes the storylines from the manga. But here's the thing, normies don't read anymore so these series don't blow up unless there's an anime about them now which means we get less chances to have incline side stuff like games and what have you than usual. There's exceptions to the rule like FotNS had Lost Paradise a couple years back but when was the last good Berserk game (that wasn't a musou game)? because don't get me wrong I love musou games but I know they're not exactly 'great' and maybe getting some sort of Berserk ARPG ripping off Dark Souls would be pretty sweet, I dunno.

TheSoul

Scholar
After playing a shitton of jrpgs in high school, I feel the opposite now with modern jrpgs. Devs keep making the characters look and act 15. I fucking hate the weeb romances with main characters they keep including. It's an awful mix of naruto and love hina dialogue.

CRPGs are rough around the edges, but the good ones make you overlook them as long as you stay away from the shitty openworld sandbox games.

lightbane

Arcane
wasn't Chrono Cross a sequel to this:

Sorta. It was meant to be one, but then someone had the idea to cram the plot of Trigger to it.

Even more interesting is that Xenogears was originally going to be a sequel to Chrono Trigger.

That one is new, and I don't know how it would even work. I remember Xenogears was meant to be one game of a long series, but it's even more different tone-wise than Trigger. It also has tons of Evangelion-esque references that don't make sense at all with the other game.

Lucumo

Educated
I'm hoping we get a good 'boom' for the other two manga I mentioned. Berserk at the very least so we can get a decent anime adaptation and...well, because Miura's gone I guess too :negative:
Nah, they can basically only produce crap now because a.) low budget and b.) CGI. The best you are gonna get is the 1997 adaptation.

lightbane

Arcane
I'm hoping we get a good 'boom' for the other two manga I mentioned. Berserk at the very least so we can get a decent anime adaptation and...well, because Miura's gone I guess too :negative:
Nah, they can basically only produce crap now because a.) low budget and b.) CGI. The best you are gonna get is the 1997 adaptation.

Also, outsourcing to China, don't forget that.

Lucumo

Educated

Also, outsourcing to China, don't forget that.
It's a direct consequence of low budget but yeah, outsourcing to China, The Philippines etc is a surefire way to get low quality results. The sad part is that when Japan had money (during the bubble economy) they spent it on OVAs advertising some manga, game or whatever and/or hired staff that had no idea how a good and coherent story should look like. Due to that, there are surprisingly few anime that offer the whole package.

JDR13

Arcane
That one is new, and I don't know how it would even work. I remember Xenogears was meant to be one game of a long series, but it's even more different tone-wise than Trigger. It also has tons of Evangelion-esque references that don't make sense at all with the other game.

You're probably thinking of Xenosaga. That was supposed to be a long series. It was originally planned to be six games but was changed to three after the first game was released.

mogwaimon

Magister

You're probably thinking of Xenosaga. That was supposed to be a long series. It was originally planned to be six games but was changed to three after the first game was released.

it's the same thing, Xenosaga was supposed to be either the far future or the far past of the Xenogears universe 'sort of' and Xenogears was sort of like Star Wars in which Xenogears was supposed to be like episode 6 of a series or something. Developer/publisher woes changed all that which is why Xenogears became Xenosaga sort of and, while I haven't played Xenoblade yet I'm pretty sure Monolithsoft is the same company that did Xenosaga so Xenoblade series may even be tangentially related to the whole saga.

It's been many years since I played Xenogears and had an interest in learning more about it, but if I recall there was some sort of Xenogears Perfect Works or Ultimaniax book released in Japan that detailed a lot of what lightbane was talking about with Xenogears being one part of a story that was supposed to be told over numerous sequels and Xenosaga might have something similar or some old developer interviews to explain the connection more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom