Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders 3

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

Angthoron

Arcane
Got my Kinguin preorder key, gonna be trying this after work.

Disgruntled

Savant
Pretty fun so far after going in relatively blind (didnt watch any betas or play the prequels). Im still in the tutorial, didnt expect it to be a full on mission. I guess its a starting map for one of the campaigns.
Only bothered a bit so far by the lack of clear visual ques for relative unit strengths and abilities.

You are bombarded by a hodgepodge of unicorns, oversized elves, orcs, giant wargs, wisps etc. Would be nice to tone down the cartoony factor so the power increments, sizes and weapons made it obvious who did what. You can hover the mouse but its not as intuitive, and rather distracting.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hm, so gave it a quick try, works without any slowdowns on my ancient-ass NVidia on High settings. Not bad.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Bought it through that Australian site, and i can confirm it's working! Thanks for the tip, saved almost 50%:thumbsup:
Link?

https://cdkeys.com.au/products/Age-of-Wonders-III.html
Quick google search finds several cases of scams related to that site. You'll probably get the key but still...dodgy.

I'm playing it as we speak though

Also bought a key from that website. They mailed me the game as a steam gift. Still dodgy for sure. Hope I dont get banned.

Received my steam gift too while I was at work.

Misconnected

Savant
I hate the interface, though, or actually just its presentation. Buttons are way too fucking huge and colourful and take up far too much of the game screen I should be using to actually play the game. Fuck you, Civ5!

No they fucking aren't and this is the best interface I've seen in a game since the 90s so fuck you! :(

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I got it too from that .au site, about 18-19 euros or 174 sek compared to 40 euros its more than a half off.
Warlock 2 otoh I got from gamersgate(also a steam key) for 198 sek. This was a regular preorder price, dunno why they didnt match it with steam asking price that is about 10 euros more.

Eyeball

Arcane
I hate the interface, though, or actually just its presentation. Buttons are way too fucking huge and colourful and take up far too much of the game screen I should be using to actually play the game. Fuck you, Civ5!

No they fucking aren't and this is the best interface I've seen in a game since the 90s so fuck you! :(
No, fuck you! (Although to be honest it's kind of growing on me.)

This game is so much better than Warcock it's not even funny. I particularly like how summons are exceptionally useful.

Misconnected

Savant
OK, OK I'll grant you the buttons might be massively huge if the interface doesn't scale. I play at 1440p and they're fine to me. But the rest of it is just amazing. It presents all the information I want/need, it's nicely readable, and everything is in easy reach. And perhaps just as importantly, the mechanics are perfectly straightforward - though I guess that's more of a systems design thing than an interface thing.

As far as I'm concerned the entire damn industry should sit down and take notes, because this is how it's done.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I got it after a few hours as a steam gift.
Maybe make sure that you use the same the same email as your steam account is registered to, dont know for sure how it works.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I got it after a few hours as a steam gift.
Maybe make sure that you use the same the same email as your steam account is registered to, dont know for sure how it works.

Doesnt matter, you can use the steam gift from your mail on any steam account.

Eyeball

Arcane
Hmm, I'm playing a magic-heavy human sorceress. It spawned me underground on a normal random map. I have now explored almost all of the map without encountering any enemies OR portals to the surface World.

Anyone else have this bug? Or is there a single portal to the surface hidden somewhere I cannot see?

Really digging the "national borders" thing in this one. Granted, they're not as dynamic as in Civ5 (one of the good parts of that shit game) but it's nice having builder units actually MATTER for once as their fortress function is really useful to snag resources you don't want to Waste a city on. It's also nice to have some sort of cohesion to your empire instead of just a bunch of mines and mana nodes scattered across the map.

How're you supposed to use the terraforming spells properly? Want more production, plant more trees, want faster Growth, terraform into farmland or what?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Yup some maps don't have stairs to ground. You can send the saves to developers.

Dhralei

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Played the first map of the campaign and it wasn't a cakewalk on normal settings. The game seems to run fine on my somewhat old rig (AMD X4 955/AMD 5770 GFX-Card) on "high" settings with that SSO thingamajig turned off.

I'm trying to work out the success rate of inflicting a status effect, but i'm not terribly good at math.

The Tome says this:

47rJIfO.jpg

Shouldn't that be: Success chance= 50% + (x) + 5%, instead of: 50% + (x) x 5%?

Yeah, and activation through a Russian VPN..good luck with that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom