Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders 3

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Now I agree that AI cheating should not be too obvipis, but given that the AI cannot beat go and non heads up No Limit Holdem yet (we are getting there, though), and the fact that the complexity of 4X is much higher than the complexity of any game the AI outperforms humans at, I fail to see the point of playing this kind of games against an AI that does not cheat .

Actually, one way to have the AI not cheat, and play as a human, would be to have all AIes gang up against the largest threat (ie the human players), take him out, and see among the AI which is the best.
Most FFA among human players turn this way, so that would certainly not be cheating, only having the AI realize that ganging on the player would be its best chance to win. Not sure that would make a very enjoyable game either, though.

Ephesos

Novice
without those cheating spawns
News at eleven, every turn based strategy game has cheating AI. Heroes, Disciples. Yes, even the old AoW games. And don't tell me that it didn't.
I know that, but there is a world of difference between the way heroes(haven't played versions after 4), disciples, or even older AoW games handled this(extra resources per turn, no fog of war/explored map, experience points for every traveled tile(Disciples), fast research, able to recruit more units) and the way it is done in AoW 3... Granted, it can be fixed in later versions if they care enough, but right now I'm not enjoying the game.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Now I agree that AI cheating should not be too obvipis, but given that the AI cannot beat go and non heads up No Limit Holdem yet (we are getting there, though), and the fact that the complexity of 4X is much higher than the complexity of any game the AI outperforms humans at, I fail to see the point of playing this kind of games against an AI that does not cheat .

Actually, one way to have the AI not cheat, and play as a human, would be to have all AIes gang up against the largest threat (ie the human players), take him out, and see among the AI which is the best.
Most FFA among human players turn this way, so that would certainly not be cheating, only having the AI realize that ganging on the player would be its best chance to win. Not sure that would make a very enjoyable game either, though.

They could also allow players to make AI players stronger without cheating. Take a standard RTS/HoMM mission, when you start the incompetent starts with a large armies and control larger areas. There is no reason not to make AI players with that properties in random generated 4x games. People would still face harder challenge from weaker AI, but wouldn't call the game bullshit because it breaks their immersion. Take civilization for example. Instead of giving PC a constant boost to research and stuff, just make a game start with 1-3 civs that already have many cities and are more technologically advanced. It makes sense, I mean ancient Celts for example were less technologically advanced than Chinese for example.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Played a little last night, mostly enjoyed it. Played it on ultra settings without any problems on my 2 year old rig.

My main complaint is about damaged units, I thought changing units into squads was fine till they don't lose any effectiveness at all after damaged and lost some men. Such a foolish and needless cosmetic change...
Core units are not that varied but class specific units/summons takes care of that mostly. Don't know what to think about dwarven succubus though, going to have some nightmare about those probably...
Game mostly stinks DLC, I hope they release some good'ol exp.pack instead Rome2 type shallow DLCs.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
i m loving the game so far but with barely 8 hours played i wont comment much on gameplay related stuff yet.

the complaint i dont understand though is the one about unit visuals: i really enjoy that group of archers is now represented by a group of archers not just a single archer. does it feel weird when they are low on hp but still do full damage ? yeah it does - but it was exactly the same before.... only that now you have a visual difference between 3 and 30 hp remaining, shown by how many soldiers are left standing. maybe triumph should add an option where loss of hp does not reduce the number of soldiers visually for people who for whatever retarded reason feel their immersion broken by this - yet dont have their immersion broken by AOW2 battles where (visually) 10 guys fight for a city ...

the one thing i m disappointed in is that they did a lazy job on the class unit visuals. bards, assassins, berserkers, whatever ... they look way too similar among the different races. i expected some neat little touches like for example orc bards using drums whereas elf bards use harps .... but instead its all the same shit with a different skin/colour / body size and therefore some class/race combos looks really out of place (warlord highelf for example) / could have been done much better - heck some class units look downright halfassed.
i really hope modders can change that because while the game looks great otherwise i think many units are a letdown visually.

edit: oh and thanks pakoito - i did what you wrote above regarding forcing AA via drivers and the game now runs & looks great on my laptop ( i7, 650m) in high details / full HD.

Eyeball

Arcane
Been kind of spoiled by SM's moddability myself. I played with a mod that added a metric fuckton of new units, which with the primitive Graphics of SM was easy to do. As someone above mentioned, most races have units that match each other here, Archers, pikemen, swordsmen and so on without much variety in overall army composition. I much prefer each army to be more unique.

Has anyone found a non-diplomatic use for the alignment system yet, by the way? I don't seem to be able to unlock any new abilities or spells by being muahahahaevil.

Also, the "farm" Buildings you can capture on the map gives you +Growth. What happens if you build a fortress near them instead of a city? Will the bonus be wasted or just pass on to your nearest city instead?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
the one thing i m disappointed in is that they did a lazy job on the class unit visuals. bards, assassins, berserkers, whatever ... they look way too similar among the different races. i expected some neat little touches like for example orc bards using drums whereas elf bards use harps .... but instead its all the same shit with a different skin/colour / body size and therefore some class/race combos looks really out of place (warlord highelf for example) / could have been done much better - heck some class units look downright halfassed.
i really hope modders can change that because while the game looks great otherwise i think many units are a letdown visually.

Yeah, I completely agree on this part.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I dont quite get why do you guys complain about spawned AI stacks, if combat is good they can be very fun to fight. Like in Call of Warhammer mod for MTW2 where script spawned armies were the main challenge for the player.

As long as the mechanics hold spawning armies can work too.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I bought the game yesterday. I fire it up and all the text is super blurry and the tooltips are just empty black boxes. It turns out that the game doesn't work properly at 2560x1600. You have to turn your monitor's resolution down to 1920x1200 or so to get things to work properly. Just a heads-up if anyone is having this problem.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Yeah, a few months back the developers on the forums warned us that 1920/xxxx resolutions were what the game is being built around. Anything above that was always "we don't really care"

Yes. If you start a campaign in online mode, you can only load those saves in online. If you switch to offline, you have to start new. If you want to avoid this, start singleplayer in offline. Of course you can't play multiplayer that way.
Just discovered that I can continue my campaign in offline mode so I can put my pitchfork and burning torch away ... for now.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes. If you start a campaign in online mode, you can only load those saves in online. If you switch to offline, you have to start new. If you want to avoid this, start singleplayer in offline. Of course you can't play multiplayer that way.
Just discovered that I can continue my campaign in offline mode so I can put my pitchfork and burning torch away ... for now.
How did you do that? If I start in offline mode, the load game menu is empty.

Martius

Liturgist
So its same as it was on conflux in Heroes of Might and Magic 6? Thats a shame.

Does it show "yourUsername(offline)" up in the top right as opposed to "guest"? All my saves are visible in offline mode. What caused me some confusion initially was that campaign saves aren't visible when playing a standalone scenario (and possibly vise versa), but all the saves should be available from the main menu.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Does it show "yourUsername(offline)" up in the top right as opposed to "guest"? All my saves are visible in offline mode. What caused me some confusion initially was that campaign saves aren't visible when playing a standalone scenario (and possibly vise versa), but all the saves should be available from the main menu.
No I have Guest in the top right corner.

Ephesos

Novice

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Frame Drops, particularly when having an army selected removed.
I told you there is a problem like this! :D Haha, and it will be fixed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom