Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Indie AKARUUK - old-school turn-based RPG in early development

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by CryptRat, Apr 9, 2017.

1. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=873716254

http://happyponyland.net/akaruuk/

I guess it's legit to try and reach Steam via Greenlight as long as it still exists, so here is a game which doesn't have that much chance to ever be completed, but could be fun and is currently on Greenlight :

Turn-based combat with action points and free skill advancement, enough to make me intrigued at least.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2019
    • Brofist x 12
    • incline x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Aenra Guest

Aenra
    CryptRat thanks for both this and Lurking. You're like an anti-Roqua YES!

edit: even the joke sounds like an insult, doesn't it.. no offense friend, no offense.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I like the minimalistic grafics but the systems look like trite shit.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Morkar Left Guest

Morkar Left
    Looks oldschool with oldschool design without falling into the fallacy of just copying an old game. It looks like they try to improve oldschool gamedesign. Highly appreciated and I hope it will come out!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    I strongly approve many of the listed design features. The first four items, which include side questing around story arcs and non-linear exploration, share the same influences from computer role-playing games I enjoy most. I love how the developer boasts about the lack of a journal and encourages note taking. I'd wager that the size of the game world might warrant some kind of player drawn map for self-reference.

I do wish a game like this had full party creation. Yes, you can recruit up to three pre-made characters. However I believe allowing the player the freedom to customize their team brings an additional level of complexity to the table.

I like how he does the follower tagging along the player's icon on the map. Although for this kind of top down tile-based movement, I have come to determine the best approach is a single character represented on screen, and the ability for the player to swap between party members, like Dark Sun or the Storm of Zehir overland map.

^ Top  
  6. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    It's just for the city screen from the vid.

^ Top  
  7. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    At 1:41 I see two character icons approaching an encounter. Maybe this display is reserved for only certain areas. I was giving the developer the benefit of the doubt that it might be a toggle to show the full party or just one character. But the main thing I am interested is allowing the player to select any of the four party member slots to be represented on the screen.

^ Top  
  8. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    That's the entrance of a settlement...1:38 he enters it from world map

^ Top  
  9. YES! Hi, I'm Roqua Dumbfuck

YES!
    I fully agree to full party creation. Games without it and a party almost always have shitty combat. I disagree with the taking my own notes. I'd much rather the game handle the shit most people don't find fun and is proven by the low pay of the work. The people taking minutes at a meeting are usually hourly wage workers. Let us pretend my character wrote the notes and put them in his or her journal. I also prefer cartography to be a skill that can be improved like in Wiz7 and Eschalon series. That is the best of both worlds. Hell, tie the journal to intelligence and cartography for better/more informative notes and quest markers. That's the rpg way. Me as a paying customer taking my own notes and making my own map is like survival games with no content. They do it because they can get away with it, not because people like taking notes or playing games without content.

^ Top  
  10. YES! Hi, I'm Roqua Dumbfuck

YES!
    I don't understand what you are saying.

^ Top  
  11. Looks way better than Grimoire. Voted yes!

^ Top  
  12. Lord Rocket Erudite

Lord Rocket
    re: notes, here is a great idea that any fucking simpleton could have thought of (as proven definitively by the fact that I thought of it): let players copy dialogue text to an in-game journal themselves, using, say, a right-click menu. That way you get the convenience of an in-game journal but you still have to pay attention to what you're reading, AND you'd eliminate transcription errors and incomprehensible handwriting!

Anyway, this looks OK I guess. The combat seemed pretty simplistic and the runes are fucking stupid - all the inconvenience of 1983-style copy protection in the age of, not just photocopiers, but 2 second PDF downloads. Oh and the guy's website doesn't really inspire much confidence (yeah, alright, he did that as a teenager. Personally I don't think people change all that much though, more of a difference in degree rather than kind. For example, when I was a teenager I was a tubby little loser with no mates, and now I'm a bigger tubby loser with maybe as many as two friends. And I have a beard), and I'm not sure about those rectangular tiles, although the art is nice and clear at least. Actually on second thoughts this will probably suck. I voted yes anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. coldcrow Prophet Patron

coldcrow
    Spiderweb games (Avernum et al.) let you do that.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Scroo Female Quota Staff Patron

Scroo
    Codex 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Looks pretty cool :) I hope it'll make it on greenlight. And gets finished :shittydog:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Aenra Guest

Aenra
    That's because you're a African American. No one can help with that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lord Rocket Erudite

Lord Rocket
    beaten to the punch yet again

In my defense the last time I played a Spiderweb game was that one where you were supposed to be a bad arse enforcer from some powerful castle which everyone is supposed to be scared of (I'll remember the name of it sometime tomorrow), but every cunt just ignored you whenever you told them to do something, thus completely undermining the whole concept. It sucked.

^ Top  
  17. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    :necro:
    I'm not too optimistic, but I had to ask.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Shame. But thanks for the update.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.