Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

Drakron

Arcane
Only this time they got plenty time to play the game. Colonial Fraud was shat out without anyone really having a hands-on prior.

Well two things.

No matter what, the predecessor will be Colonial Marines and that is what it will be compared to.

More important, this seems to be a non linear game so any issues will only became apparent after playing it after a lot of time, reviewers dont spend 40+ hours on a game ... the way the mechanics appear to be designed will just give it a lot of points because its unique enough instead of being a linear corridor shooter.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Did a quick skim through this thread, two points:

# Daedalos got banned. Whom do I thank for that?

# There's a comic out called Prometheus: Fire & Stone. It's trying to tie together Prometheus, Alien AND the Predator IIRC.

The story:

Sir Peter Weyland's last expedition was the one to LV-223 and that the fate of the expedition is "unknown". 125 years later a second (privately funded) expedition journeys to LV-223, a planet that just happens to be in the Zeta Reticulii system.

Expedition touches down, finds a jungle teeming with lots of alien life, all looking like H.R. Giger at least had a hand in their creation.

Among the lifeforms found are cattle-like creatures that have been attacked and killed by something with claws, leaving bitemarks and "strange burnmarks".

Unlike the last expedition, everyone stays sane and reasonable and only observe and take samples... including one from a large pool full of a certain black fluid. They even follow protocol and ask for permission to bring back the samples.

Expedition finds a large metal structure in the jungle, covered by vines and brush. (Scanners couldn't find it because the whole jungle reads as metal.)

Expedition starts clearing away the brush and find...

... that the metal structure is marked "Hadley's Hope".

Poor buggers aren't on LV-223, they're on the next moon over, LV-426. 33 years after the events of Aliens.

Comic ends just as they're about to open the front doors, and we see that the interior is full of trapped xenos...

Not exactly off to a good start, is it?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Oh gods. That "Fire & Stone" comic I told you about? It's atrociously bad.

There's a 4-issue series on Prometheus, and another on Aliens. The first issue of that is out, and it's horribly bad.

It starts when the colonists of Hadley's Hope are being butchered out in the open by xenos. A group of them makes it to a landing bay and take off in a mining hauler.

A few xenos sneak onboard as well, but are confined to the cargo bay so they can't kill the passengers.

The hauler is only designed for low-orbit flight, but they do manage to make it hop across to the next moon over, where the hauler crashes.

The 38 people aboard the hauler then go looking for supplies and start by opening up the cargo bay...

Earlier in this thread I was talking about the "xeno headcount" thing. Well, this comic throws that out the window, which was kinda a premise for the entire Aliens film. Everyone that falls to the xenos is killed, not captured.

And this very bizarre turns of events, that there was a ship on Hadley's Hope and that a group of them escaped to the next moon over, not only shows that I was wrong about the synopsis of that comic, but actually makes these two single issues of comics become bigger franchise rapes than the entire Prometheus film.

The good news? Alien: Isolation sounds like it has a decent, coherent plot and story by comparison.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I only looked at what's in the movie thumbnail, all those level layouts lumped together.

You know what I see? Corridors. Corridors with the occasional room tied to them. There's one section that's a circular hallway with "added bits" (slightly right of top middle) that seems to be the most complex section of them all.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I only looked at what's in the movie thumbnail, all those level layouts lumped together.

You know what I see? Corridors. Corridors with the occasional room tied to them. There's one section that's a circular hallway with "added bits" (slightly right of top middle) that seems to be the most complex section of them all.

To be fair the original movie also had a lot of corridors.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

At first I thought they were all one level and I allowed myself a glimmer of hope...

:negative:

MapMan

Arcane
Byd_tNdCMAAPFG5.jpg

So is this a thing or not? I got DK2 and this would be really awesome.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
*watches video*

THAT is one of YouTube's greatest gaming personalities?

Fuck, I can do better than that.

As for the game - While I am feeling much better about this game now that I see it in action, there are lots of little things nagging at me. The feet look kinda silly when they move, that's the only game-related issue I have. Everything else is lore-related, like how the station looks almost EXACTLY like the rig that the Nostromo was hauling in the Alien film.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom