Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

Falksi

Arcane
Walking through endless corridors to open doors on my phone just isn't the same as walking through endless corridors to open doors on my PC

Master

Arbiter
Well, there was Far Cry and Crysis.
You know, its not an accident that both were the most graphically advanced games of their time. They had to be...
Because rendering a jungle is pretty damn hard. All those ships, stations, rooms with boxes, city streets and so on, thats easy stuff. But a jungle... Its the ultimate test baby! Its the sword in the stone, and he who pulls it out...
But even today, games like Kingdom Come Deliverance still have lame static foliage...:M
And so it happened that, just because of the setting, it would be harder to do a "Predator" game. Instead it was bound that we would get a thousand Alien/Aliens ripoffs. The end.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Unrelated, but they're also currently releasing a comic adaptation of William Gibson's second script for Alien 3. It's 3 issues in and actually pretty good so far.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Unrelated, but they're also currently releasing a comic adaptation of William Gibson's second script for Alien 3. It's 3 issues in and actually pretty good so far.

I read a synopsis of it many many years ago. Bishop and Hicks get to shine in this one, but it also lacks focus.

Master

Arbiter
Gibson tries his favorite thing with several seemingly unrelated stories that fuse later on. But he fucks it up and it doesnt work.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
CA casually confirmed the existence of the new sci-fi FPS their console team is working on:

For a reminder, they've been throwing around words like "first person tactical shooter", "immersive sim", and "multiplayer" with job postings.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
CA casually confirmed the existence of the new sci-fi FPS their console team is working on:
For a reminder, they've been throwing around words like "first person tactical shooter", "immersive sim", and "multiplayer" with job postings.
meh.png
decline.png

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Very much looking forward to this new CA FPS. Alien Isolation remains a work of art and if this is even half as good I'll D1P.

Nigga please.

1 : The people at CA that worked on Alien Isolation have mostly moved on to other jobs, meaning that the 'artists' that created the game are no longer there.
2 : Post-release support for Alien Isolation was virtually non-existent, mostly because the aforementioned people weren't working there anymore. That's how fast those 'artists' were dropped, how much value they brought to the company.
3 : Stop lying about your D1Ps. Remember SOMA? Remember the thread you made, where you shilled and hyped so hard for the game during development and up until release, then five months went by before you finally stated you were playing the game?
4 : You are nothing but a shill and a hypocrite. Your words are worthless. So stop throwing them at us.

Ibbz

Augur

I'm noticing a disturbing lack of diversity in that photo. Next GOTY?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://observer.com/2019/02/alien-isolation-series-disney-fox-sale-box-office/

Exclusive: Is There an R-Rated Animated ‘Alien’ Series in Development?
By Brandon Katz • 02/19/19 4:18pm
mv5bmje5mtqxnte3nl5bml5banbnxkftztcwmjm0odeymw4040._v1_sy1000_sx1500_al_.jpg

An animated series set within the Alien universe may be in the works. 20th Century Fox

Last week, HN Entertainment reported that multiple live-action series set within Ridley Scott’s Alien universe were in development. Today, we can potentially add one more to the growing list of possible shows in which people will undoubtedly have strange, nasty-looking creatures burst from their chests.

Sources tell us that an R-rated animated series based on the video game Alien: Isolation is being developed for a seven-episode run. The series apparently hails from Axis Animation, which also did the VFX work on the game, and could arrive as early as April. We’re told the digital series may make its home on the Alien website, though that remains unknown at this time.

Subscribe to Observer’s Entertainment Newsletter

Alien: Isolation was released in 2014 and takes place 15 years after the events of Scott’s seminal 1979 original. It follows Amanda Ripley, daughter of Sigourney Weaver’s character Ellen Ripley, as she’s sent with a team to recover the flight recorder of her mother’s ship. Naturally, some Xenomorph-related mysteries and carnage ensue. Tonally, the game hews much closer to the lo-fi, slow-building suspense of Alien than to James Cameron’s action-driven 1986 sequel.

Strategically, a small-screen expansion of the franchise would make sense, even as Disney assumes control of the property once its impending acquisition of Fox is complete. The Alien film series has fallen on hard times, with 2014’s Prometheus drawing divisive reactions from fans and critics and 2017’s Alien: Covenant failing to make much noise at the multiplex (no one could hear it scream).

Rerouting the beloved, adult-skewing property to the small screen with a fresh, series-style take could be a good way to further leverage it without the financial fallout that comes with delivering a box-office flop. Alien still boasts a loyal fan base, but you can squeeze only so many blockbusters out of a single title.

Representatives for Axis Animation did not respond to multiple requests for comment. We’ll update you as soon as we have more information.

SumDrunkGuy

Honestly i find the game way too long. It way too tense of a game and it needs shorter lenght.

Agreed 100%. There's a certain point in the game, I wanna say at the end of level 10 (not entirely sure, I haven't played this in years), where you finally get the Alien off the ship but also get left behind. I remember that whole sequence being incredibly tense and exciting.

That could have been the perfect climax, but then the game went on for multiple hours, and I remember that stuff feeling very repetitive. If it ended with Ripley and the Alien floating in space I'd probably call Alien Isolation a masterpiece.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Youtube cutscene movies going mainstream:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...trailer-announces-digital-series-debut-on-ign

EXCLUSIVE ALIEN: ISOLATION TRAILER ANNOUNCES DIGITAL SERIES DEBUT ON IGN

It’s been fifteen years since Amanda Ripley’s mother disappeared aboard the deep space towing ship Nostromo. And for fifteen years, Amanda has suspected there was more to her mother’s story than meets the eye.

That's the story of Alien: Isolation, and for those who didn't play the 2014 game, 20th Century Fox is expanding the tale of Amanda Ripley in an exciting new way. As you can see in our exclusive trailer debut, IGN will be exclusively debuting Fox's first-of-its-kind digital series of Alien: Isolation on Thursday, February 28th -- and you can binge all seven episodes of it when the series drops on IGN.com at 9 a.m. PT.

This new digital series takes the cutscenes from Alien: Isolation and not so much as expands on them but creates a new animation experience to add additionally layers to the story of Ellen Ripley's daughter. The goal was to offer new depth to a story that many gamers would have already experienced in 2014's release, and also tell the story in a newly accessible way for those who haven't.

Fox worked with developers and production partners Reverse Engineering Studios and DVgroup to create this new series, which includes a combination of brand-new scenes that are rendered from scratch, cinematics that are taken directly from the game, and first-person scenes from the game that were re-shot and edited for this new telling of Amanda Ripley's story.

The official summary for the Alien: Isolation series reads: "Fifteen years have passed since the deep-space freighter Nostromo disappeared with all hands. And for fifteen years, Amanda Ripley has scoured the known universe for information about her mother, Ellen Ripley, the Nostromo’s warrant officer. When representatives from the Weyland-Yutani Corporation approach Amanda with news that the Nostromo’s flight recorder has finally been found and brought to the space station Sevastopol, Amanda joins the Company’s expedition to the remote outpost. But when Amanda reaches the station, she walks into a living nightmare: Sevastopol’s inhabitants have been terrorized, hunted, and brought to the brink of annihilation. Now she and a band of unprepared - and perhaps untrustworthy – survivors will have to confront the same diabolical species that changed her mother’s fate forever."

This Alien: Isolation series reveal couldn't have come at a better time, either, as Alien celebrates its 40th anniversary this year. This isn't the only way Fox is celebrating the 40th anniversary of Alien: the studio also released a new mobile game called Alien: Blackout focused around Amanda Ripley in January.

:avatard:

Venser

Erudite
I know the game sold really poorly but I wish they'd make a VR support for it instead of making this shit. They could re-release it as VR edition and give the owners of the original game an ability to upgrade. It would have to be on PSVR too since that's where the most sales would be coming from, as PSVR is 50% of the whole VR market.

Last edited:

mwnn85

Savant
How many people really bother with VR? Barely any according to STEAM.
I remember Nintendo trying something similar years ago with the Virtual Boy and that tanked.
It'd be an interesting technical experiment and perhaps in about 5 years when the hardware is dirt cheap it might be mainstream.
But unless some millionaire like John Carmack funds it I can't see it happening.

Personally I haven't bothered playing Alien Isolation and I've seen it heavily discounted.
I'm not sure I'd find it all that enjoyable to spend the game essentially being stalked by all-seeing, all-knowing, immune to damage opponent - solving rather repetitive puzzles/tasks.
A shame really because from the footage I've seen it looks like they nailed the setting plus it's cross platform.
Lots of little touches too like the saliva on the vents when the alien is in there.
The old Alien vs Predator games were excellent though (AvP 99, AvP2 2001)

EDIT:
Was reading the STEAM boards - looking for a Feral Linux topic (didn't see one)
How about this for VR?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/214490/discussions/0/1473095331502418329/
https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
How many people really bother with VR? Barely any according to STEAM.
I remember Nintendo trying something similar years ago with the Virtual Boy and that tanked.
It'd be an interesting technical experiment and perhaps in about 5 years when the hardware is dirt cheap it might be mainstream.
But unless some millionaire like John Carmack funds it I can't see it happening.

Personally I haven't bothered playing Alien Isolation and I've seen it heavily discounted.
I'm not sure I'd find it all that enjoyable to spend the game essentially being stalked by all-seeing, all-knowing, immune to damage opponent - solving rather repetitive puzzles/tasks.
A shame really because from the footage I've seen it looks like they nailed the setting plus it's cross platform.
Lots of little touches too like the saliva on the vents when the alien is in there.
The old Alien vs Predator games were excellent though (AvP 99, AvP2 2001)

EDIT:
Was reading the STEAM boards - looking for a Feral Linux topic (didn't see one)
How about this for VR?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/214490/discussions/0/1473095331502418329/
https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR

It isnt all seeing or all knowing. There is a little mod called unpredictable alien which un-tethers it from the player more and gives it even bigger radious to patrol.
Makes the game a little less tense which i like.
There are no puzzles in the game.
For a fan of the universe the game is a must.
Feels long mostly because its really tense and atmospheric.

The other Aien games while awesome are all about making you an alien cowboy.
This one more is like the first Alien movie, you're mostly helpless.

I prefer the othe games as i can defend myself and they're less scary, but this game is well worth the playthrough.
They nailed the atmpshere and design so well its like you're in the movie itself.

mastroego

Arcane
It's definitely worth playing.
It has flaws like every other game but it's memorable, unique and finely crafted.

Master

Arbiter
Unfortunately, there is too much ilogicality.

-You cant pick up the flashlight until a npc says you can, even though its right there.
-You cant pick up guns from the people you or the alien killed; they just lie on the ground.
-But of course, you can pick up all kind of useless junk (crafting), to make flares.
-People attack you, a defenseless woman, for no reason and try to kill you.

Too many contrivances, too many stupid shit.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Youtube cutscene movies going mainstream:

Watching the first episode makes it very clear the game was not supposed to be viewed from anything other than a first person perspective.
What the hell is the point of this? Is this IGN's way of showing repentance and begging for forgiveness after fucking this game with a 6/10?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom