Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Watching the first episode makes it very clear the game was not supposed to be viewed from anything other than a first person perspective.
What the hell is the point of this? Is this IGN's way of showing repentance and begging for forgiveness after fucking this game with a 6/10?

Some of the cutscenes look fucking terrible there, even the lip-sync seems screwed up.

The only "new" content is Amanda Ripley monologuing about herself, as the opening scene starts where the game ended: With Ripley floating alone in space.

Currently on Ep. 2, it does a good job of making the game irrelevant story-wise. What's bothering me more are the subliminals. Twice now I've spotted the 20th Century Fox logo blinking in for a frame or two for no apparent reason.

EDIT: This just keeps getting worse, so I skipped to the end. It ends on the exact same ambigious note as the game, but there's a neat little 'vision quest' journey at the start of Ep 7, so there's that.

There's spoken sections that are supposed to be Ellen Ripley speaking to her daughter, but they're not done by Sigourney Weaver.

This is about as ho-hum pointless Machinima-esque cinematification of a game as they get. Anachronox: The Movie is more fun to watch than this.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Dabbled with this a while back but just finished actually playing it all the way through. Played on "normal" because I'm not a survival horror fan and was mainly playing for setting and story, and other than a few brief areas it wasn't that hard or annoying. I can see why it would be on harder modes though. They just NAILED the atmosphere and gameplay style to match the movie, one of the more impressive movie worlds in games I've ever seen. However I found the story pretty lacking, and the mission design as well, so it was a mixed bag. It just never felt like the story and dialog were really clicking or well developed, and 90% of the game you're walking from one button to another. Definitely worth playing just for the atmosphere though, and all around a solid effort at making the movie interactive.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Completed it a few weeks back. It's pretty good up until
the reactor mission
then shit just went completely flaccid. That was the highest note of the game and they should have ended it right there and then, but instead we got treated to a bunch of linear missions, including
the lame space walks with retarded sequences, especially the xenomorphs going after Ripley in space

Overall still a good experience though!

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Completed it a few weeks back. It's pretty good up until
the reactor mission
then shit just went completely flaccid. That was the highest note of the game and they should have ended it right there and then, but instead we got treated to a bunch of linear missions, including
the lame space walks with retarded sequences, especially the xenomorphs going after Ripley in space

Overall still a good experience though!

It does peter out at the end. Really the core gameplay is that tight loop of escaping the (singular) alien and exploring the gorgeous environment. Only so long you can do that before it gets old.

Dayyālu

Arcane
There's only one thing I truly like about the overly long ending: the great feeling about Sevastopol going into pieces. It's probably one of the best depictions of a living space slowly going into its death throes, and while the last EVERYTHING TRIES TO KILL YOU sequence is boring from the gameplay perspective it's very..... stylish?

Again, it's an incredibly pretty game.

Semiurge

Cipher
Love that butt wiggle cats do as they prepare for pounce, imagine if the Alien did that in the movie... :shittydog:

giphy.gif

JDR13

Arcane
It was definitely a little too long for a horror game, but that was my only complaint. It should have sold a lot better than it did, and it's a shame there won't be a sequel.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bunch of Millennial NEET wastes of skin ITT should go play a nice short, "streamlined" Telltale adventure from their safespace and leave the real games to the adults.

Once they stop burning down everything that adults built of course :lol:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Too much is better than not enough, ... but it's still too much.

Where the game really drags is in the middle. It ends strong, so I can forgive some trudge in Act II.

HansDampf

Arcane
Either cut the last third of the game or fill it with better content. But the way it is now, it drags on for too long. How is this so hard to understand?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
If only the game had robust and involved systems for hacking and engineering than simple puzzles and QTEs. It could have helped the last part of the game a lot. Giving the boss battle of engineering, like how games usually give you the ultimate challenge to test the skills you've learned over the game. But eh, it's just more simple puzzles and QTEs with different skins.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I would make gun more useful in the game. Like shooting the alien would cause spraying the acid and hurting the player a bit. It wasn't believable when you shot the alien he didn't flinch.

Ulysa

Scholar
I would make gun more useful in the game. Like shooting the alien would cause spraying the acid and hurting the player a bit. It wasn't believable when you shot the alien he didn't flinch.
But did you watch Alien? Forget about Cameron's movie. The Alien is the perfect organism and has an exoskeleton. Is that same thing a coackrach has and why you have to step on it several times to kill it even when your weight is immensely higher.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
But did you watch Alien? Forget about Cameron's movie. The Alien is the perfect organism and has an exoskeleton. Is that same thing a coackrach has and why you have to step on it several times to kill it even when your weight is immensely higher.

Camerson's movie is non-canon? You shoot it through the mouth with the revolver when he gets close. That's the weak spot. Could be really tense in the game.

Wunderbar

Arcane
My headcanon is that revolver is intentionally underpowered (maybe some weak-ass 22lr cartridge) so it wouldn't pierce through the hull.
Same with a shotgun - it's a riot control weapon, so it shoots rubber instead of slugs/buckshot.

Last edited:

Ulysa

Scholar

Camerson's movie is non-canon? You shoot it through the mouth with the revolver when he gets close. That's the weak spot. Could be really tense in the game.

Heheh not for this game, only the first one. Which also fits my personal preference, although won't deny Aliens is fun and an awesome movie too. But the first one is my fav movie ever probably ;)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
My headcanon is that revolver is intentionally underpowered (maybe some weak-ass 22lr cartridge) so it wouldn't pierce through a hull.
Same with a shotgun - it's a riot control weapon, so it shoots rubber instead of slugs/buckshot.

IIRC the standard canon was that the xeno is essentially bulletproof against all but the largest calibers and/or armor-piercing rounds. Of course there are weak spots in the armor (inside of the mouth, key parts of the 'face') where any half-capable firearm can do damage, but generally it's not going to be bothered much by 'standard' guns.

The ammo onboard the Sevastopol is probably flechette rounds or something similar to specifically prevent people from blowing out the hull.

I'd pay good money to see a xeno go up against one of those transit trams at full speed, though. :)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You shoot it through the mouth with the revolver when he gets close. That's the weak spot. Could be really tense in the game.
You'd rather turn this into a game about shooting the alien in the face? That sounds fucking lame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom