Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

mastroego

Arcane
Some of the Synths (and stronger Synths) you'll have to... well, deal with directly.
But you'll have the tools.
For a few times, at least...

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
The synths are great fun, I could have done without any hostile humans, they dont feel they fit in the game. I do remember that room was the spot I got most annoyed while playing.

mastroego

Arcane
Well, it'll be satisfying when you'll be able to send a few of them to the electric heaven, with focused intent ;)

Beastro

Arcane
The "real" aliens are utterly silent hunters who lie in wait for the unwary.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished the game. I strongly recommend this to anyone who might be on the fence about trying it, particularly anyone old enough to be a fan of the movie. My only substantial gripe is that the 2nd act is underwhelming, with several missions in a row that amount to "go turn on another generator". I admit I lost track of the story altogether for a while. It gets good again at the end though. In my opinion this game is a masterpiece.

RapineDel

Augur
Finished the game. I strongly recommend this to anyone who might be on the fence about trying it, particularly anyone old enough to be a fan of the movie. My only substantial gripe is that the 2nd act is underwhelming, with several missions in a row that amount to "go turn on another generator". I admit I lost track of the story altogether for a while. It gets good again at the end though. In my opinion this game is a masterpiece.

For what it is it's quite good and I think it's a good example of a game with great fundamentals that if expanded on and improved could be extremely high quality. I think they were under pressure to ensure the game was 15+ hours long because there's no multiplayer component which explains the repetitive second half. With a 8-9 hour game length they could've improved the pacing and it could've been genuinely great.

Alas a bad IGN review and a move to multiplayer only titles for this console generation means they'll dare not risk a game like this again.

mastroego

Arcane
So you're saying that the only noteworthy thing game journos managed to do recently was to kill a legitimately good game.

Mazisky

Magister
The alien in this game is one of the most scary enemies i've ever played against.

The thing surprised me the most is that once he sees you, you cannot hide and make him reset like in other games, he's gonna come and get you out of places you hidden whitin !

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Is this game pure survival horror type stuff or is there a Deus Ex or Thief style component to it? I installed it to give it a try and got maybe an hour in and it doesn't feel like my thing, but the aesthetics are so great I'll keep going if it ever gets more interesting gameplay wise.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
There are stealth elements involved as well, or at the very least elements that remind heavily of Thief.

I'd say keep going.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Is this game pure survival horror type stuff or is there a Deus Ex or Thief style component to it? I installed it to give it a try and got maybe an hour in and it doesn't feel like my thing, but the aesthetics are so great I'll keep going if it ever gets more interesting gameplay wise.
the game is very long, first one-two hours it is basically a walking simulator.
Gameplay become more interesting once Alien shows up in its full glory.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game is much more Thief than Resident Evil imo. Of course it's not pure Thief.

I say stick with it until you face at least three different enemy types, and solve at least two problems with two different crafted items such as a noisemaker or smoke bomb. If you still don't have a boner after that, I don't know what to tell you.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Honestly i find the game way too long. It way too tense of a game and it needs shorter lenght.

Agreed, and its my main criticism of the game, it does drag out way to long. You start to lose all of the tension and atmosphere by the end.

Short and sharp just like a good horror movie is how it should have been. And then if they could have done some different scenarios from other characters perspective or something?

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I've been waiting for a mobile game like this, and I hope it has tons of lootboxes. You can't make a good game without lootboxes!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
For those of you curious about the fate of Amanda Ripley after Alien: Isolation, there's a new comic book series out now that answers that... or at least tries to, it's funny how comic canon is never actually 'real' canon but simply a placeholder for future canons.

Anyway, from the first issue of that series, in spoilers:

Amanda spent three days floating in that pressure suit, before being eventually rescued by Weyland-Yutani. This results in her having extreme claustrophobia.

She spends the next three years in 'therapy' where WY refuses to clear her fit for duty, while taking measures to ensure her loyalty via extended psychiatric sessions.

She resists. As a result she's effectively blacklisted.

One day she's picked up by Zula Hendricks, a Colonial Marine who's also had a first-hand encounter with the Xenomorph, as detailed in the 12-issue comic book series Aliens: Defiance (a series that's about six issues too long IMO).

They hatch a plan to try to stop the WY bio-weapons program, which seems to be happening despite both of their best intentions to exterminate the aliens.

JDR13

Arcane
Lame....

We get a million sequels for series like Call of Duty, Ass Creed, and Far Cry, but all we get here is a fucking mobile game.

Beastro

Arcane
Thief in Alien world is pure boner material.

Can say that twice if the games gimmick was playing as the Xeno, really going into the stalking and picking off thing on a random ship.

Makes me wonder too why no one has one a retreaded Predator game in the jungle again in the way Isolation very clearly wanted to recreate the first Alien.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom