Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alone in the Dark Reboot from THQ Nordic and the writer of SOMA

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jason Köhnen will write the "doom jazz" music
This alone makes the soundtrack *slightly* interesting for me; I liked the first few Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble albums.

Another game inspired by the REmakes eh. Those screens already look pretty dated and
it's coming from THQ Nordic and some no name dev, so expect some jank.

Horror is the kind of genre that needs a lot of polish, nothing worse than seeing an enemy bug out during a jumpscare.
Not really, Darkwood is far and away the best horror game of the last decade and it had a shoestring budget with primitive 2d graphics.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Do you think we'll play as Grace Saunders again, pranking the ghost pirates with Home Alone style traps? That to me is the essence of Alone in Dark 2

Furthermore, I can't accept any version of Edward Carnby that doesn't have a giant mustache, bad posture and a drinking problem.

Don Peste

Arcane
Just look at the Hobby Consolas video. It's going to be trash, and the final nail in its coffin.
A The Devil Inside remake would have been interesting. I wonder who owns it. Ubi?
64995-the-devil-inside-windows-back-cover.jpg

toughasnails

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/08/12/alone-in-the-dark-returns/

some new info

tl;dr

- all monsters were designed by Guy Davis, a production designer and illustrator who worked with Guillermo Del Toro on Pacific Rim, Crimson Peak and The Shape of Water. He also did BPRD with Mike Mignola;
- Jason Köhnen will write the "doom jazz" music;
- the game's plot will incorporate bits and pieces of all three original games from the ninetees (so yeah, apparently you're gonna leave the mansion at some point, and will probably have to fight against zombified gangsters, ghost pirates and wild west cowboys lol).
I wonder if this is actually reviving some of the designs and plot ideas from the big horror game that Guillermo Del Toro was supposed to be "directing" for THQ before they went bust. From what little I remember being released about it, it seemed to have some deep south, redneck-exploitation theme going...

Wunderbar

Arcane

some new info

tl;dr

- all monsters were designed by Guy Davis, a production designer and illustrator who worked with Guillermo Del Toro on Pacific Rim, Crimson Peak and The Shape of Water. He also did BPRD with Mike Mignola;
- the game's plot will incorporate bits and pieces of all three original games from the ninetees (so yeah, apparently you're gonna leave the mansion at some point, and will probably have to fight against zombified gangsters, ghost pirates and wild west cowboys lol).
I wonder if this is actually reviving some of the designs and plot ideas from the big horror game that Guillermo Del Toro was supposed to be "directing" for THQ before they went bust. From what little I remember being released about it, it seemed to have some deep south, redneck-exploitation theme going...
if Del Toro is working on a videogame, then it's probably upcoming "Overdose" by Kojima.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Do you think we'll play as Grace Saunders again, pranking the ghost pirates with Home Alone style traps?
actually yes.

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/08/alone-in-the-dark-reboot-announced-for-ps5-xbox-series-and-pc

"A playable teaser, dubbed “Grace in the Dark” and featuring its own original storyline, will be playable at Gamescom 2022 from August 24 to 28. A prologue to the main game, it will star Grace from Alone in the Dark 2. THQ Nordic has not said whether it plans to release this playable teaser outside of the event, but it is a completely separate story from the main game, so it will likely see a home release."

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Western developers have consistently failed to make good survival horror games. The best they've managed was pretentious walking sims.

The writer's previous gigs, SOMA and Amnesia, are really not that good. SOMA is babby's first transhumanism story and Amnesia is about as cliché as it gets, and both games were primitive in terms of gameplay, so whatever they're going to be doing will certainly be mechanically inferior to Resident Evil games and narratively inferior to Silent Hill.

I'm also not sure why they're digging up Alone in the Dark's corpse, many people that played the originals back in the day actually died of old age by now. I'm always puzzled with how obsessed devs/publishers seem to be with "name recognition", even when the "name" is related to an IP that hasn't been relevant for the past 20 years and ended in flames.

And yeah, the footage looks bad. The male character looks straight out Evil Within with all the animu belts, so I imagine he'll be carrying around a veritable arsenal on his back, and the I bet the female character is going to look like a 1920s Karen. She seems to have ordered the "obnoxious feminist" cosplay for this gig.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I feel like at this point people like the idea of what Alone in the Dark more than what it actually was. The original trilogy was all about throwing you in some strange location in which you really didn't know anything, before having to deal with some strange enemy right away. And pirates, for some reason. Very much the kind of thing that involved you piecing together the mystery on your own without twenty different characters saying "THIS MANSION IS CURSED!" before you ever encounter a single monster.
And of course, like all AitD games since The New Nightmare, this one is clearly aping other survival horror titles rather than trying something completely on its own. Even back in the days of the original title, before time rendered the 3d graphics into camp, the game wasn't grimdark. It didn't take itself so overly serious as this. It has a whiff of pretension about it, which is funny to me considering the games have desperately been trying to get out of that camp territory for so long and failing miserably.

Machocruz

Arcane
Already banalshitboring as shit with that tired over the shoulder perspective. Every game is the same game is the same game is the same game is

toughasnails

I'm also not sure why they're digging up Alone in the Dark's corpse, many people that played the originals back in the day actually died of old age by now. I'm always puzzled with how obsessed devs/publishers seem to be with "name recognition", even when the "name" is related to an IP that hasn't been relevant for the past 20 years and ended in flames.
A good argument can be made for AitD being the ur-text of PSX/PS2 era survival horror. It is enough to show the footage to younger gamer and they'll recognize a lot of trademarks of RE et al, prerendered backgrounds and fixed camera mixed with 3D models, mixture of combat and puzzle solving, even the details like rotating item models...
So there is some strength in carrying that name, you can sell your title as the revival of the game that "started it all" so to say.

Tehdagah

Arcane
They really want to chase after RE2 Remake right? At this point I'm expecting The Evil Within 3 to look like it as well.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
To be expected they are taking a page out of Resident Evil
Alone in the Dark, was the main inspiration for RE
And considering the latter not only had more success, it is good the former should seriously examine what the latter did right

some new info

tl;dr

I guess they would have the design docs for that.

That video does say Guillermo Del Toro did bring Guy Davis in. But it could have nothing to do with it. If you're doing some monster Lovecraftion thing, Guy Davis seems like a good guy to get; he was doing that kind of for years in Mike Mignola's BPRD Hellboy spinoff comic. Del Toro's name is probably just coming up because Davis has been doing design work for him since Pacific Rim.

The video talks about that game being large scale; (and also first person, which this is not) given there's screenshots of streets, and there seem to be a number of different locations from around the town the game takes place in, it does seem possible this could be a play on that game done as an Alone in the Dark game.

To be expected they are taking a page out of Resident Evil
Alone in the Dark, was the main inspiration for RE
And considering the latter not only had more success, it is good the former should seriously examine what the latter did right

There is something kind of funny about how Alone in the Dark has continually failed to find success in the 26 years since Resident Evil. There's also something weird about how little Infogrames/Atari tried to do anything with Alone in the Dark since the first Resident Evil.

toughasnails

There is even a story about how Infogames and Capcom had an agreement that Capcom's people never explicitly mention Alone in the Dark, which is the real reason why it took Mikami some 20 years to admit that AitD influenced the form Resident Evil took in the end.

Capcom had an agreement with Infogrames (Alone in the Dark developer / editor) that was preventing Mikami to mention "the french game". For years, he claimed he never saw Alone in the Dark before designing Biohazard (Resident Evil). He finally said that without Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil would have been a First Person Shooter in full 3D.
Which is p retarded bc AitD would've benefited a LOT from that recognition.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is even a story about how Infogames and Capcom had an agreement that Capcom's people never explicitly mention Alone in the Dark, which is the real reason why it took Mikami some 20 years to admit that AitD influenced the form Resident Evil took in the end.

Capcom had an agreement with Infogrames (Alone in the Dark developer / editor) that was preventing Mikami to mention "the french game". For years, he claimed he never saw Alone in the Dark before designing Biohazard (Resident Evil). He finally said that without Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil would have been a First Person Shooter in full 3D.
Which is p retarded bc AitD would've benefited a LOT from that recognition.

I feel sorry for Mikami having to tell such an obvious lie over the years. Everyone with knowledge of the Alone series knew he was telling lies.

Sucks that it was companies that forced him to do so.

90s vidya company politics were weird.

AndyS

Augur
Even back in the days of the original title, before time rendered the 3d graphics into camp, the game wasn't grimdark. It didn't take itself so overly serious as this. It has a whiff of pretension about it, which is funny to me considering the games have desperately been trying to get out of that camp territory for so long and failing miserably.
You literally punch/kick the monsters to death with your gentlemanly pugilistic technique. As a kid it was one of the first things that stood out to me about the game.

NoSoup4you

Learned
They did it, they found the one reboot I would care about.

I don't expect the interesting adventure game stuff to come back, but I would accept something along the lines of RE7.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom