Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alone in the Dark Reboot from THQ Nordic and the writer of SOMA

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I hate these interviews because when I see the gameplay I got different take and opinion. Just give us the gameplay with commentary.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

“Derceto is the prey of evil. The sun has set. I hear their footsteps. May God forgive me.”

Celebrate All Hallows’ Eve - but remember, this is not a good night to be alone... in the dark.

Alone in the Dark is coming to PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

Beowulf

Arcane
I sure hope they remove all of the Lovecraft references, because he was a racist.

In the Arkham Horror LCG new editions they removed the "lunatic" trait from some enemies because it was promoting harmful stereotypes about mental illnesses (and somehow now this word made the designer uncomfortable, and that's a direct quote).

NoSoup4you

Learned
I sure hope they remove all of the Lovecraft references, because he was a racist.

In the Arkham Horror LCG new editions they removed the "lunatic" trait from some enemies because it was promoting harmful stereotypes about mental illnesses (and somehow now this word made the designer uncomfortable, and that's a direct quote).
Fantasy Flight is a shit company.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Alone in the Dark is such a cursed series. Not even the original trilogy knows what the hell it wants to be; those games can only really be appreciated as whacky 90s adventure games, since they're not even close to being scary.

orcinator

Liturgist
Hope it has an immersive blink button like the xbawks 360 reboot.

But seriously at least they're copying a competent game instead of making a spoopy walking sim.

NoSoup4you

Learned
Idk if the first AITD is "scary," certainly not to me at this point since I have such a long history with it... But it has a great spooky atmosphere nonetheless, mostly thanks to the audio. I remember New Nightmare doing a good job with its flashlight gimmick as well.

toughasnails

Looking at that video, it really showcases just how exquisite the animation work in the OG game was. Now if you never played it before just take that and project it onto the game's historical context.
I suspect that the OG Tomb Raider would leave similar impression if so approached.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Alone in the Dark is such a cursed series. Not even the original trilogy knows what the hell it wants to be; those games can only really be appreciated as whacky 90s adventure games, since they're not even close to being scary.

The first game creeped me out as a kid, guess you would have had to have been there. The other two are p.crappy.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

The first game creeped me out as a kid, guess you would have had to have been there. The other two are p.crappy.

I think AITD 3 is ok overall, though I wish it had gone back to more Cthulu-esque roots rather than the silly ghost cowboy and crazy science plot.

The first game is great. It's really impressive how well they nailed what was essentially a brand-new genre at the time.

toughasnails

2nd and 3rd game are still in line with sort of pulp weird detective genre, what you might have seen in lesser Weird Tales contributions from Lovecraft's time. But the first game is just much more thematically enticing, especially as at the time there wouldn't have been nearly as many games claiming Lovecraft influence, so it is disappointing that they cheapened that and made it into just one episode rather than the series' theme, replacing it with much more familiar and well worn supernatural tropes.

v1c70r14

Educated
2nd and 3rd game are still in line with sort of pulp weird detective genre, what you might have seen in lesser Weird Tales contributions from Lovecraft's time.
I never played them but that sounds more interesting than people ripping off Lovecraft (badly) over and over again, how do they stack up to your average Jules de Grandin story?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
The second game is way too combat intensive which should be your first red flag. Way too many shootouts with pirate gangsters to fill in for the lack of atmosphere.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The second game is way too combat intensive which should be your first red flag. Way too many shootouts with pirate gangsters to fill in for the lack of atmosphere.

And the stunlocking thompsons.

Actually makes the combat extremely binary, you either find a good position where you can gun down all the enemies in the room without getting stun locked to death, or you die.

NoSoup4you

Learned
The beginning sucks, but the game becomes more melee focused after you get in the house. Not a bad game overall.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
The beginning sucks, but the game becomes more melee focused after you get in the house. Not a bad game overall.

I always used to aggro the midget chef dude on purpose and then clear the living room by getting the gangsters to shoot each other in the back.

It makes the remainder of the house segment very easy from a combat perspective.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Allow us to illuminate some of the mysteries that shroud Alone in the Dark on May 25 at 5 PM PST / May 26 at 2 AM CEST.

Join us on YouTube and Twitch as we unveil answers to some of the most pressing questions surrounding the game in our Alone in the Dark Spotlight.

Alone in the Dark is coming to PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
We're reaching the point where no new games will be produced anymore. There's enough games now over the span of the decades that they can just spend the rest of time updating old titles.

Dexter

Arcane

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
We're reaching the point where no new games will be produced anymore. There's enough games now over the span of the decades that they can just spend the rest of time updating old titles.
The same has happened with movies. It's intellectual decline all around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom