Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Alpha Protocol: EU vs. US Reviews

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
And apparantly now also a stupid fat Kwa manboon struggling to form a coherent sentence. Thank god for copy paste eh?
You know it. :smug:

Melcar

Arcane
Suchy said:
1962.jpg

That's a nice truck.

ChristofferC

Magister
Jim Profit said:
Are you trying to say the soldier is better???

The european guy is making money by dressing up in silly clothes. The american guy is making money by invading other nations.

Melcar

Arcane
As an American I can get both the truck and the hot babe. That Euroslut will go to her knees so she could get an American visa.

bhlaab

Erudite
European gamers are used to seeing the forest through the buglist? You surprise me.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Pointing out things like bugs, graphics, unpolished gameplay is just a cheap way to make a list of cons/flaws since they're hard to dispute.

Alpha Protocol certainly didn't have as many issues in this department as standard euro fare like gothic, witcher risen, venetica & co.

However, I have a hard time believing that anyone who grabbed this game expecting an rpg in a modern day spy setting didn't like it just because of bugs, or because the shooting and stealthing weren't up to gears of war or splinter cell standards.

Most rpgs have shit for combat and stealth, the difference is in the balance of shitty parts vs the non shitty parts. A 2 minute chat with 3 dialog stance choices might not be enough to balance out the 1+hours of identical stealth+shooting gameplay, especially once you realize the formula isn't gonna change.

Alpha Protocol is a good game. Worthy of both praise and criticism. It's flaws are outweighed by what is good about it. They should get a sequel to improve themselves. A second Alpha Protocol would be a great game.

Felix

Arcane
AP is pretty bug free for me, it's the most bug free Obsidian's game to date IMO save for the blatant UE3 streaming, they should find a way to mask it.

Guess I was just lucky, eh.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
European Reviewers = Lovers of FO3, ME2, NWN, & MW = Very Smart About Games According To Codex Even Though Codex Hates These Games.

Fuckin' Codex - espicially European Codexian Butthurt Types - Logic is fuckin' historical.

Felix

Arcane
They ignored all of Bethesda'games Fallout 3's horrible animations and shitload of bugs, stupid minigames.

They ignored frame-rate slow down, glitchs and some gamebreaking bug in ME 1&2(walking in the air....) and how shitty minigames in ME2 are, world populated by blue boxes that don't make any sense.
They ignored how shitty the controls in those games are.

Best gaems evar LOLOLOLOL

circ

Arcane
You know what? In FO3 I could aim like I wasn't riding on the special bus every day, without training.

In ME 2, I could aim, you get the idea.

In AP, I couldn't aim no matter how many points I put into a weapon skill. If it wasn't for time slowing down, I could barely get the reticule where I wanted it. Forget sniping jack shit when one quarter of a inch of mouse movement moves the scope several feet and in random directions.

All shitty games. Some more so than others. But atleast two out of three knew what the fuck they were doing half the time.

Felix

Arcane
So what they were doing beside putting in more blue boxes and wasteland with moonwalk.

I must be playing a totally different game then, you're right a bout the sniper rifle, but that's easy to adjust.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I said it in the comments of the article but I'm gonna say it here as well: I didn't encounter any single game breaking bug in my playthrough of AP. In fact, I am hard pressed to remember a single bug that even bothered me in the slightest, except for one CTD. To me, the rigid fixation on bugs that the reviewers have had seems to be a cheap excuse to criticize a game that they didn't even take the time to try to understand. They played it like it was Mass Effect and got sorely disappointed. Criticize a game for what it is, not what you want it to be.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think that extends the meaning of the word too much though. The AI can certainly be buggy, but the AI system in itself is not a bug.

Keep in mind that it was released for xbawkz and PS3 as well as PC. Reviewers may be experiencing bugs that those of us on superior systems will not face.

Also, if we are deducting points for bugs, Bioware should be retroactively smacked down at least 2 points because they have been ADDING bugs through their patches on Dragon Age.

circ

Arcane
Right. Most if I recall correctly, US reviews were of the xbox version. And even the AP wiki mentions xbox bugs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom