Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga, Apple, Atari and Commodore Exclusive Must Play RPGs

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Oh yeah, I forgot about Captive 2: Liberation! I still haven't finished it, but it's loads of fun. Kill everyone for loot and keycards!

Captive 2: Liberation is grand but gets very repetitive after a while, which is a shame as the engine was great.

If I remember correctly, Crystal Dragon is pretty good, but it's pretty obscure and not widely known.

Zetor

Arcane
I played Captive 1 on the PC, but it didn't really click for me... felt really repetitive for a DM-like, and the entire gear upgrade system was a bit opaque. It was fun to zap enemies with lightning from a power socket, though!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I tried Captive 1 a few years ago, but it didn't really grab me, and I didn't like the fact that all the levels were randomly generated. But it had some interesting ideas.

Ladonna

Arcane
Did you play Knightmare too? I tried it after a Captive binge on my ST a long time ago but I had to play something different. And I never got to it.

Knightmare is like a twisted medieval 'captive', with hand crafted dungeons and puzzles. I enjoyed it.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I plan to scrub the entire initial post so I can add some of the games that have been mentioned, but as I haven't played any of these old classics, I'll be using the comments from this thread, some of the other threads posted before, and ratings on abandonware websites to make a determination on which games are Must Plays vs simply good for its time. I've been meaning to do this, but it looks like it will be a project that I should undertake when I have a few hours to spare and some beers to drink.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

Newcomer is possibly the most ambitious RPG ever developed for the C64. It's development was started when the C64 was a common machine, but it took 20 years of development time to finish it. It certainly has impressive graphics (for a C64). Here's a short article.
I just love these games that are developed by crazy people with no regard for commercial viability.

So what happened to this game?
According to its website it was supposed to be released April 1, 2012. But the website hasn't been updated in over two years.

:Flash:

Arcane
Newcomer is possibly the most ambitious RPG ever developed for the C64. It's development was started when the C64 was a common machine, but it took 20 years of development time to finish it. It certainly has impressive graphics (for a C64). Here's a short article.
I just love these games that are developed by crazy people with no regard for commercial viability.

According to its website it was supposed to be released April 1, 2012. But the website hasn't been updated in over two years.

The game was released. That countdown was for the Ultimate version, which didn't materialize.
The "company's" website still mentions that the game used to be available.

The intro is still on youtube

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The Ultimate version would include a PC version, right?
Looks like the current version requires you to have an actual C64.

Luzur

Good Sir
Enhanced Newcomer is no longer available due to the impending release of Ultimate Newcomer.

Well thanks alot, faggots, now neither game will ever be available...

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The game was talked about on GoG here: http://af.gog.com/forum/general/ultimate_newcomer_a_c64_game_20_years_in_the_making?as=1649904300

They provide a link to download the game: http://csdb.dk/release/?id=3431

You'll need something like hjsplit to join the files. Man, this game is so old that they split a 2 MB file into 3 parts!

It appears to be the same game, as it has a link to the "enhanced edition" game video, which will probably never be released

I won't have a chance to try this until tonight, but it is on D64 images, so if you have C64 forever or C64.emu for tablets, you should be good.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Project Status

April 1, 2012: Ultimate Newcomer will be released this month.
January 10, 2012: The IGF 2012 Independent Games Festival Main Competition has announced the list of finalists and honorary mentions today.

I think we can completely forget it now .
Surprisingly enough there's still numerous new C64 game releases , just have a look there:
http://www.psytronik.net/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=29

They just released a game named darkness

darkness_01.gif

darkness_02.gif

darkness_03.gif

darkness_04.gif

darkness_01.gif

dark_promo_sm.jpg

Luzur

Good Sir
Psytronik are old news to us Hardcore elites
Yes but that means less than 5 guys here, worth linking it again .

mention the other games thats been out too, bro:

http://www.protovision-online.com/games/leisure_suit_leo.php?language=en

http://www.protovision-online.com/games/jimslim.php?language=en

http://www.protovision-online.com/games/itsmagic.php?language=en

http://www.protovision-online.com/games/itsmagic2.php?language=en

lotsa good quality games to hold close to your balls there, bro.

Mortmal

Arcane
Absolutely ,that cant do harm to give them a bit of advertisement .

Mortmal

Arcane
Back to the subject , exclusive rpgs, thats rather hard to find, everything was multiplatform.
http://www.lemon64.com/ , and look letter by letter thats the only way to find more.
Anyone else remember this ?
Thats was the weirdest game i played when i was a kid :

getter77

Augur
IIRC, there has been a few scattered further updates on Ultimate Newcomer---though these were via their Facebook page awhile back and not in English. Gotta keep hope alive, there's no other comparable jousting in all of gaming than Ultimate Newcomer vs Grimoire in the race to actually existing for folks to dig into.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Can anyone recommend a good Atari ST emulators? Is Steem the obvious choice? It's very old...

Last edited:

index.php

Arcane
:necro:

UNC's development has been taken over by an autist who wants to release a COMPLETELY bug-free game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom