Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga, Commodore and creativity

Luzur

Good Sir

Castle Shadowgate - A port of the Adventure Horror game 'Shadow Gate' for the C64​

Gamers and retro gamers alike you are in for a serious treat today! As Shadowgate, which is an incredible adventure classic originally from 1987 by ICOM Simulations and released for the Amiga, Apple II, Atari ST, DOS, Macintosh and NES, is now available to play on the Commodore 64 by Donnie Russell. As in the words of the creator "an official version was never released (or developed?) for the Commodore 64. This is a new port of the game, heavily based on the popular Nintendo Entertainment System version".

The original classic was a brilliant horror adventure game that really involved you in the dark story and contained some pretty horrific deathly sequences, especially if a puzzle wasn't done the correct way. Fast forward to today however and we have a new Castle Shadowgate to play; a port of this classic game which features multiple rooms to visit, dangerous choices, puzzles to solve and music throughout.
Links :1) Source

Luzur

Good Sir

Lester - A high quality C64/128 metroidvania by Knifegrinder, that's worth checking out!​

As we said before, while some of you including myself, are still looking forward to playing the upcoming game of Leap!; A high quality C64 title via KnifeGrinder which is a tribute to Bounder; a game released in 1985 by Gremlin Graphics. There's another game that's worth checking out when it releases today through itch io, and that's Lester, a high quality metroidvania for the C64 that puts you in control of the AR2020, a robot sent to liberate a space station taken over by an evil AI.

As noted by the creator "Lester takes inspiration from modern MSX Metroidvanias like Ghost / Minighost and the old Konami's productions like The maze of Galious. Furthermore, even though it originally started as a hello world project fiddling with a TRSE tutorial. Within 3 years it became a graphic adventure engine, a zelda-like engine, a single screen platform engine, an attempt to convert Minighost and then a standalone game". So yes if you have a Commodore 64, I'd highly recommend checking this game out as soon as it's available for download!
FEATURES :

• - An entire space station to explore
  • - 60+ rooms full of metroidvania action
  • - Upgradable weapon, special powers, map and inventory
  • - 11 tracks OST
  • - THEC64 (Maxi and mini) compatibility
UPDATE : Lester is now available to download!

Links 1) Website

Luzur

Good Sir

Impossible Mission 3 - A sequel to a well known retro gaming classic is coming to the C64​

Not to be confused with Mission Impossible, of which I have done many times in the past and have been reminded of :p , but we have recently been told through twitter, that not only is the retro gaming classic of 'Impossible Mission' getting an officially licensed sequel through Icon64, but we've also found out it's being created from scratch for the Commodore 64, and you can view some early "GIF" footage below through Twitter.

Regarded as one of the best games for multiple systems, with that classic digitized line " Stay awhile, stay forever ". Impossible Mission was released all those years ago in 1984 developed by Dennis Caswell and published by Epyx. As an epic platformer game against the clock to reassemble and decrypt a password to Atombender's control room while also avoiding seriously dangerous robots! So yes if you loved playing the game back in the day you are sure to like this upcoming sequel due at some point in the near future.

Viata

Arcane

Lester - A high quality C64/128 metroidvania by Knifegrinder, that's worth checking out!​

As we said before, while some of you including myself, are still looking forward to playing the upcoming game of Leap!; A high quality C64 title via KnifeGrinder which is a tribute to Bounder; a game released in 1985 by Gremlin Graphics. There's another game that's worth checking out when it releases today through itch io, and that's Lester, a high quality metroidvania for the C64 that puts you in control of the AR2020, a robot sent to liberate a space station taken over by an evil AI.

As noted by the creator "Lester takes inspiration from modern MSX Metroidvanias like Ghost / Minighost and the old Konami's productions like The maze of Galious. Furthermore, even though it originally started as a hello world project fiddling with a TRSE tutorial. Within 3 years it became a graphic adventure engine, a zelda-like engine, a single screen platform engine, an attempt to convert Minighost and then a standalone game". So yes if you have a Commodore 64, I'd highly recommend checking this game out as soon as it's available for download!
FEATURES :

• - An entire space station to explore
  • - 60+ rooms full of metroidvania action
  • - Upgradable weapon, special powers, map and inventory
  • - 11 tracks OST
  • - THEC64 (Maxi and mini) compatibility
UPDATE : Lester is now available to download!

Links 1) Website

Finished it when i twas released. Fun game, too short and easy, though. Still, great game and worth to play.

Viata

Arcane

Maria Renard's Revenge - Eagerly awaited Amiga Castlevania fan game for the Amiga is finally here!​

In April of last year we gave you the heads up of a brand new game coming to the Amiga, which had Castlevania vibes and was the creators very first attempt at using the Scorpion Engine. Well fast forward to today and thanks to Earok and Saberman giving us the heads up through Facebook, we have been told that not only has the Scorpion developed Castlevania fan game of 'Maria Renard's Revenge' been released, but you can view the very latest footage of the game below!

Please note, game footage will differ from smooth scrolling Amiga hardware!
Yes indeed welcome to a very special release for the Commodore Amiga, a new game in which you play as a girl who has to traverse through dangerous landscapes, while defending herself with the use of a bird that protects her from harm. The game features as mentioned before, charming graphics, a lovely soundtrack, smooth scrolling, multiple parallax layers and different areas to traverse such as dangerous caves.... So yes if you've been waiting to play this game for some time, now's your chance!
System requirements

• Amiga 1200/Amiga CD32 with 1Mo FastRam
  • The A500 Mini
  • WinUae
Credits :
  • Programmed by DomKid
  • Aamatniekss, Ansimuz and Konami for graphics maps and Sprites
  • Earok for the amazing Scorpion Engine

Does anyone know any good Amiga emulator for Linux(or one that runs on Wine)? I want to play this game so badly.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Maria Renard's Revenge - Eagerly awaited Amiga Castlevania fan game for the Amiga is finally here!​

In April of last year we gave you the heads up of a brand new game coming to the Amiga, which had Castlevania vibes and was the creators very first attempt at using the Scorpion Engine. Well fast forward to today and thanks to Earok and Saberman giving us the heads up through Facebook, we have been told that not only has the Scorpion developed Castlevania fan game of 'Maria Renard's Revenge' been released, but you can view the very latest footage of the game below!

Please note, game footage will differ from smooth scrolling Amiga hardware!
Yes indeed welcome to a very special release for the Commodore Amiga, a new game in which you play as a girl who has to traverse through dangerous landscapes, while defending herself with the use of a bird that protects her from harm. The game features as mentioned before, charming graphics, a lovely soundtrack, smooth scrolling, multiple parallax layers and different areas to traverse such as dangerous caves.... So yes if you've been waiting to play this game for some time, now's your chance!
System requirements

• Amiga 1200/Amiga CD32 with 1Mo FastRam
  • The A500 Mini
  • WinUae
Credits :
  • Programmed by DomKid
  • Aamatniekss, Ansimuz and Konami for graphics maps and Sprites
  • Earok for the amazing Scorpion Engine

Does anyone know any good Amiga emulator for Linux(or one that runs on Wine)? I want to play this game so badly.

FS-UAE

Luzur

Good Sir

RogueCraft - Upcoming Amiga roguelike from Badger Punch Games gets new footage!​

If you have a Commodore Amiga you are sure to like this latest news update, as we've recently been informed by Badger Punch Games through Twitter, who were behind the amazing Commodore 64 roguelike of 'Rogue64'. That they have teased a brand new gameplay video for the upcoming Commodore Amiga title of 'RogueCraft'. An Amiga version of Rogue64 which features much higher quality detail, gameplay and sound all set within a Lovecraft-inspired theme.

As we said before from our previous article....Welcome to a rather lovely looking game that's coming to the Amiga, a game that will not only feel completely different every time you play, but the game will also feature tough monsters that become ever more dangerous as you progress, bigger challenges, wonderful rewards for those who are close to the end, glorious Amiga graphics, a lovely soundtrack , and more you'll just have to experience for yourselves when it gets an eventual release... We can't wait!

Luzur

Good Sir

Geo's Quest 2 In Search of Queen Lorraine - Final version of a graphic adventure game for the Amiga​

Something slightly different for today's retro heads up instead of all the arcade games we've been mentioning over the last couple of weeks. As we've recently found out through Saberman, that if you head on over to the Aminet website or the EAB forums linked below, you can download Paul Golian's latest Amiga game of Geo's Quest 2 In Search of Queen Lorraine; the final version of a graphic adventure game which originally appeared unfinished back in early 2002.

Here is what the developer says about the game "This is the completed (finally) version of my Graphic Adventure Geo's Quest "In Search of Queen Lorraine". I started this in 2000 only to stop in 2002 as life happened; never to return to it until last year in my retirement. The original version from 2002 that has been floating about these 20 years is incomplete, full of errors and bugs. This is the finished, refined, corrected & completely reworked version.

http://aminet.net/package/game/role/GQ2
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=113675

Luzur

Good Sir

Ambermoon Advanced - A BIG unofficial extension and remake to a great Amiga RPG is here and it's AWESOME​

We've featured 'Ambermoon' many times now on Indie Retro News from the updated Amiga version, to the open source PC remake. Both versions give you hours worth of enjoyment of an incredible 90's RPG that not only featured 3D graphics that were considered revolutionary for the Amiga, but it also had high-quality graphics, a large number of enemies and cities and more. Well today's news is yet again pretty special for those of you who loved playing this classic game back in the day, as Pyrdacor has just contacted us to let you know that Ambermoon Advanced has been released as episode 1 and 2 for the Amiga and PC.

But what is Ambermoon Advanced I hear you ask, well it doesn't just enhance the original game, but contained within the advanced version, is new additions such as a new companion, new doors to open, new monsters, new items, amazing new places to explore, dangerous dungeons and much more you'll just have to watch the video above to see for yourselves. Seriously with the amount of additions and changes Pyrdacor has done to the advanced version I'd be here all day.
Ambermoon Advanced: DE Paperback

• 24 pages, contains a list of all spells, descriptions of attributes, skills, conditions and of course new features like the elemental damage table. It also contains the rune table and a small version of the German world map. It is also useful for players of the remake

Links :1) Amiga Version 2) PC Remake 3) Twitter 3) Book/Manual (English/German)

Luzur

Good Sir

Settle The World - A Colonization fan game for the Amiga by Theo Theoderich gets an update​

If you remember playing Sid Meier's Colonization back in the day, then it might be worth keeping an eye on Theo Theoderich's in development game of Settle The World. A game that isn't just inspired by that classic, but according to the creator is a turn based building and trading game with you versus another player. Although Theo does state "Single Player mode is also planned, but it will be all the more difficult because there are no trading partners as of yet".

You will have to build settlements, build roads, establish trade relations with your fellow player, explore the map and sometimes send soldiers to war. Make sure that your citizens are satisfied, only then you can succeed in winning the next presidential elections. The goal of the game is to stay in power as long as possible. The game is being developed for Amiga computers with at least 2 MB RAM, a fast processor and a hard disk with multplayer in mind.

• The new version of "Settle the World" is now available for download.
  • It is called the -Intro Update-.
  • We call it -Intro Update- because the game now includes a picture slideshow that tells the background story, but there are countless improvements and bug fixes compared to the last game version.
  • Work in progress, many features are still missing

Luzur

Good Sir

Bertie’s Animal Kingdom - A rather rare Amiga game has been recovered for all to enjoy​

A great piece of news has just hit our inbox, as we've recently been informed by our good friends Games that Weren't, that GTW together with Darryl Sloan and Ivan S have made available the rather rare educational title of Bertie’s Animal Kingdom for the Commodore amiga. As in the words of Games that Weren't "Our next entry is for a title which may well have been released, but in very low numbers, due to being quite late into the Amiga 1200’s life and an educational title (further limiting its potential audience)".

Furthermore GTW also go on to say in brief "Unfortunately, Bertie's Animal Kingdom scored rather average marks, which may well have put off any potential users within an already shrinking market. For years, the game has been listed as Missing in Action on the Hall of Light. We believe therefore that the game was released, but in very limited numbers – hence the lack of preservation. However, with a huge thanks to contributor Ivan S, GTW was put in touch with musician Darryl Sloan who still had a copy of the game on two disks. The CD version sadly was not in his possession. Darryl kindly loaned the disks which still worked perfectly fine, and as a result have been fully preserved for you to check out below".

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So good to see new games made for the Amiga. I'm firmly of the opinion if you can't make a good game using 320x256 / 32 colours, real-time raytracing and 3D won't save you... But then I'm not a huge fan of 3D in general (although some games make good use of it).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I guess I shouldn't be surprised they can remake the c64 and not an emulator.

Maybe that company will do other old computers as well.

Still, I'll probably always use an emulator unless i get rich, get a house, etc etc.

Luzur

Good Sir
I guess I shouldn't be surprised they can remake the c64 and not an emulator.

Maybe that company will do other old computers as well.

Still, I'll probably always use an emulator unless i get rich, get a house, etc etc.

just buy the TheC64, works like a charm, and i even connected mine to my old 1084S monitor

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom