Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga, Commodore and creativity

insult to injury, they took effort to add new commands, "turn on/off" which obviously have NO use in the whole game.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

So, they turned the game into a text adventure game controlled by a menu ala Japanese adventure games of the '80s? But why, though? I would have thought that modern coding wizards could make something roughly akin to Monkey Island, I mean, people could actually make decent graphic adventures on the system that were downgrades of Amiga-level titles, for instance, Elvira:

I'm sure it's much worse than the actual versions, but the point is someone actually made this thing and sold it back in the '90s, even if it's just a coding exercise. The people who do coding exercises can't do something like this?

Azdul

Magister

Eye of the Beholder 4 - Fan sequel to an incredible Dungeon Crawler (WIP)!​

I was just about to finish for the day with so much writing already done, when an eye opening picture appeared in our Dungeon Crawlers Facebook group. That picture showed the words ' Eye of the Beholder 4 ', and according to the site where it came from. Eye of the Beholder 4 is the next episode of the classic masterpiece series by a fan based developer, taking place 100 years after the Assault of the Myth Drannor and 300 years after the death of Xanathar the great beholder!

As you can probably tell after all the previous articles I've done over the Eye of the Beholder games, I'm just a little bit excited. Both EOTB 1 and 2 were one of the greatest rpg's ever made, and it was also developed by one of the greatest developers : Westwood Associates later known as Westwood Studios, released in the early 90's and published by the great Strategic Simulations, Inc. However apart from Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2, of which I'm currently playing through again right now, many were disappointed with Eye of the Beholder 3 as not only was it not by the same people, but it was more action oriented.

This sequel however looks to take all the best bits of Eye of the Beholder and make a number of graphical improvements across the board. In fact, many new tilesets have been shown from marble walls, to spider banners and sharp teethed doors. But the biggest change of all, is the UI, with two characters at the bottom, a compass, spell runes and overall window placement.

So it certainly looks impressive from my stand point, but there is a big concern over this Eye of the Beholder 4 sequel and it was also brought up in our very own Facebook group by Stig, and that was this; " Unless the people making this have secured the legal rights to use the Forgotten Realms setting, this project will be very very short lived ". So from this moment on, we are unsure if this game will ever see the light of day, especially as they may at some point be looking for Indiegogo funding. So keep your fingers crossed!

Further details you can follow the developments HERE, visit the WEBSITE or our Dungeon Crawlers Facebook group.

at Wednesday, February 24, 2016

https://www.indieretronews.com/2016/02/eye-of-beholder-4-fan-sequel-to.html?m=1
I've always wanted to experience definitive version of 1st and 2nd EOB.

Sadly - ScummVM team disagrees to make it available the easy way.

It was a long quest to do it the hard way - but today is the day. After buying 25 inch Sony Trinitron (10$) - and carrying it down and up the staircases (33 kg) - fixing the numeric block on the keyboard - for the first time I've experienced EOB1 with 256 AGA colors - and stereo Amiga sounds instead of puny Adlib - through AmigaVision collection, MiST and UMSA.

It is as good as I've imagined it to be.

No automapping and a single save file. I'll see the glorious Amiga outro only when I've earned it - the hard way.

Viata

Arcane

I was just about to finish for the day with so much writing already done, when an eye opening picture appeared in our Dungeon Crawlers Facebook group. That picture showed the words ' Eye of the Beholder 4 ', and according to the site where it came from. Eye of the Beholder 4 is the next episode of the classic masterpiece series by a fan based developer, taking place 100 years after the Assault of the Myth Drannor and 300 years after the death of Xanathar the great beholder!

As you can probably tell after all the previous articles I've done over the Eye of the Beholder games, I'm just a little bit excited. Both EOTB 1 and 2 were one of the greatest rpg's ever made, and it was also developed by one of the greatest developers : Westwood Associates later known as Westwood Studios, released in the early 90's and published by the great Strategic Simulations, Inc. However apart from Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2, of which I'm currently playing through again right now, many were disappointed with Eye of the Beholder 3 as not only was it not by the same people, but it was more action oriented.

This sequel however looks to take all the best bits of Eye of the Beholder and make a number of graphical improvements across the board. In fact, many new tilesets have been shown from marble walls, to spider banners and sharp teethed doors. But the biggest change of all, is the UI, with two characters at the bottom, a compass, spell runes and overall window placement.

So it certainly looks impressive from my stand point, but there is a big concern over this Eye of the Beholder 4 sequel and it was also brought up in our very own Facebook group by Stig, and that was this; " Unless the people making this have secured the legal rights to use the Forgotten Realms setting, this project will be very very short lived ". So from this moment on, we are unsure if this game will ever see the light of day, especially as they may at some point be looking for Indiegogo funding. So keep your fingers crossed!

Further details you can follow the developments HERE, visit the WEBSITE or our Dungeon Crawlers Facebook group.

Is not this done by that guy who used to post here?

Gandalf

Arbiter

Is not this done by that guy who used to post here?
Yes, it is and the game is called Dark Lord Beholder now. It is not known whether the game is being wokred on, because the last update on it is from 2022.

Luzur

Good Sir
from the lemon 64 forum:

"
AVvXsEhCV90wEzupQEgTFaiJOxb2uJc--A1UdBMgxL0Rcs0pAVqnEQncoPQ5pAmu5XfY02KGGQijBF06EQxF1YIzfsBxMGUaVUtYlTBMbjeUVxHorO_JdzPvlCtSzqpgZ5sb7gXEFri6KkvunAjNl7C55xBzdQWl7GfJ5WZgbZ28dv_Jt6Pld8MHpqIWfzI-_Q=s1211

Nox Archaist creator & lead dev here - thanks for the discussion!

We've been asked many times if there will be a C64 port of Nox Archaist, which is great. We're thrilled there is so much interest in our game in the
retro community !

As was noted in a post above, I haven't given much encouragement in my answers to the question. It was not for lack of desire, the C64 is an awesome platform and despite my being an Apple II enthusiast, I think the C64 is an objectively better gaming machine to the Apple II in many ways. Seriously, I am not just blowing smoke. While I have nostalgia for the Apple II for what it is because I grew up with it, the C64s better graphics, hardware sprites, and cartridge support
(and probably more) clearly make it the objectively better machine for gaming IMO.

I didn't offer much encouragement in my answers to the port question because my philosophy, and 6502 Workshop's philosophy, is to underpromise and overdeliver. Once we say we're doing a project we'll move heaven and earth to make it happen, but we don't make commitments lightly to be cautious about over extending our time and abilities. I'm sure we've
all seen too many retro projects get out over there skis and end up unfinished or rushed.

In the last few months, Robin @ 8-bit Show and Tell did a feature on Nox Archaist (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIX53QzKRYw) and that led to a conversation with Per Olofsson (aka MagerValp) who from what I understand did the Gold/Remastered versions of Ultima III and IV for the C64.

He doesn't have time to lead a port but after exchanging some technical information he thinks Nox Archaist is a good candidate for a port using a cartridge. We worked up a very high level memory conversion map between the memory banks for the Apple IIs 128k and the C64 internal RAM and cartridge.

If there is a C64 programmer who may be interested in taking the lead on a port project like this, I'd be very interested in discussing it. I'd anticipate working out a profit sharing agreement, so it wouldn't entirely be a volunteer gig. While Nox Archaist was first and foremost a project of passion, I have a business background and managed to make some money at the same time (2200+ copies sold).

Here is some additional information on the discussion points raised in the posts:

The Nox Archaist's overworld map is 256x256 tiles. There are five underworld maps which are 256x256 tiles. There are a bunch (offhand I'd say a few dozen) maps which are 48x48 tiles (for towns, villages, etc). This is all map size. Nox has over 1000 unique bitmap tiles (14x16 pixels). There is of course only one map in memory at a time, and for the large maps actually just a 48x48 regional map. We scroll data in and out from disk when the player approaches the edges.

Each map type (town/village, keep, castle, ruin, underworld, underworld_town) has a tileset of 256 tile shapes each, which is loaded when entering the map. There is some overlap between the sets, which leads to disk space inefficiency for sure, maybe a little memory inefficiency but I don't think anything decisive.

As some of you mentioned, the tile_IDs are used to detect tile attributes for special functionality. For example, obstacle tiles are all groups together in a range, line-of-sight blockers are all in a range, as well as swap tiles (player/NPC stands on bed tile and sleeping person shape is drawn...tile_ID++), archway tiles (suppress drawing of player icon) and many others.

I have thought a bit over the last few years about the viability of trimming down to Nox Archaist to 64k for the purpose of porting. There are things beyond the map tile bitmaps which drive the 128k requirement. My general feeling is that by the time all the trimming and tucking was done, it would feel like a different game, and from a creative standpoint I'm
really not interested in doing that.

The reason I'm thinking C64 instead of C128 is that, from what I understand, the C64 market is much larger. I think that's the place to start, if anywhere, and if a C64 port were successful that may be a good pivot point for giving serious consideration to a C128 release.

Just for general information, here is a link to the Nox Archaist post-release game trailer. The other link posted was from fairly early in development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFpl80TxIa0

-Mark Lemmert
6502 Workshop"

https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77484

Luzur

Good Sir

Terryble Knight - RedPill is far improved in this new Ghosts 'N' Goblins inspired game engine demo!​

If you're not content with all the 8bit news then how about some Amiga news instead? As we've just been told by Saberman through Facebook, that Ansimuz together with Fireboy has shown off the latest developments with the Amiga game creation engine demo of 'Terryble Knight': A rather cool Ghosts 'N' Goblins clone that is also based on Ansimuz game. To coincide with this news, while a video has also been provided by Saberman, you can see the latest developments of RedPill in the notes below.

While we have mentioned RedPill many times before in certain games, some of them decent and others not so good, there hasn't really been a game that's shown the full capabilities of the engine, which to be honest tends to sway people to Earok's Scorpion Engine instead. But the latest game demo provided by Ansimuz together with Fireboy is one to impress. As according to the creator of RedPill, it highlights big improvements in the slopes as well as the animation system and so much more. So yes I for one and going to keep an eye on RedPill and hope it becomes a truly great engine to use!
v0.9.32

• -Slope system have been improved greatly, now you have multiple slopes that you can use, with steps of 1, 2 or 3 tiles.
  • -AGA Support
  • -Big refactoring of animation system and Animation screen.
  • -Added Knight example project, based in Terryble Knight by Ansimuz. Music byFireb0y.
  • -Added flags in Animation system to decide if an animation can be Interrupted.
  • -Added the possibility to decide in which frame of the animation a sound should play.
  • -Animation now uses ticks instead of frames, projects are updated automatically.
  • -Shortcuts for animations added in Animation screen.
  • -Added Copy values from mirror animation in Animation Screen to speed up animation creation.
  • -In Animation scren, F1 and F2 keys change animation, 1 and 2 keys change the current frame.
  • -In Objects screen, F1 and F2 keys change the current object, 1 and 2 keys change the current trigger.
  • -Tools for editing MOD and audio IFF files can be defined in the Tooltips of the RPEditor icon.
  • -Use MODPROGRAM and WAVEPROGRAM tooltypes to define the programs.
  • -Countdown and Repeat Every triggers are now tick based instead of time based, projects should update automatically.
  • -Png2Ilmb has been updated and now it does not crash when using 16bit color pngs.
  • -Some shortcut keys are shown in the main screen.
  • -In Level Properties, parallax Y now gets sorted by vertical position after exiting the screen.
  • -Timer system has been simplified
  • -Fix in clipping for objects that are half out of the screen.
  • -Fix for some frame offsets being overwritten when slicing new sprite sheets.
  • -Fix for solidity button not working properly.
  • -Fix for tile grid appearing in the level after visiting tiles screen.
https://www.indieretronews.com/2023/12/terryble-knight-redpill-is-far-improved.html

Luzur

Good Sir

Tower and Dragon for the Commodore PET with only 8K has reached version 2.0​

Another Commodore PET news story has appeared in our inbox, as we have recently been informed by the creator 'Jason Cook', that the previously released game of 'Tower and Dragon', has hit version 2.0 and can be enjoyed right now! For those of who haven't heard of this game before however. It is a classic dungeon crawling adventure with primary and offhand weapon, armor, quest storyline, moving walls, teleportation, and unique tilesets and deadly monsters for each dungeon level.

Here is what Jason Cook said about this latest release for the Commodore PET. "With memory tapped out at 8K, version 2 started out modest enough with just optimizing program space to add room decorations. While testing, I realized it was nearly impossible to locate critical tiles for game progression. This caused another optimization programming cycle to include tile animation".

"Animations had such a dramatic impact that I then created an entirely new starting level. The game now starts with your character outdoors just after landing a boat on the shore near an ancient ruin. To complete the outdoor adventure, a key needs to be found to unlock and descend into the depths of the ancient ruin. Monsters in the ruin have been increased in level to compensate for the outdoor adventure. The final boss is significantly tougher".
New in V2.0:

• The game starts with an outdoor adventure!
  • There are now animated tiles.
  • All levels are fortified with room decorations.
  • Game programmed around ROM 1 bugs with the Commodore PET disk drive (IEEE-488), allowing it to work with a disk drive! To get it operating, see project rom1diskmagic.
  • 20% improvement in performance.
  • As with 1.1, this all runs in only 8K of memory. To make something this complex has been an ongoing battle.
  • Unfortunately, character save files from version 1.x are not compatible.
  • Fixed screen corruption on save (only effected tape cassette version in some cases).
  • As of Version 1.1, supports SNES Game Controller.
https://www.indieretronews.com/2023/08/tower-and-dragon-for-commodore-pet-with.html

aga era ninja game. similar to last ninja in structure, but 2d, from the side. it could also be played with mouse/keyboard and through directional arrows on the bottom of the screen. apparently, according to lemonamiga, it hasn't either "ninja" or "samurai" in its title, and i'm out of ideas.

of course, i always find the answer 5 minutes after making an ass of myself.
https://gamesnostalgia.com/game/sword-of-honour

Tse Tse Fly

Savant

FINNISH GOLD 2022 ANNIVERSARY (C64)

Nice track starts at 19:40 (Part VIII)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom