Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An rpg where you play the villain.

Andhaira

Arcane
How doable is this? The closest I can think of is Blood Omens, but that was not a real rpg.

Basically, you would start out pretty damn powerful, with many loyal henchmen. You go through the game trying to conquer territory for yourself (I dunno how this should be handled. Say maybe with a strategy minigame? Any ideas?) and takng on rival heroes who try to come and stop you.
You also have potential love interests you have to win over.

The game is open ended, and there are different ways for you to acheive your goals. You can conquer territory by force, or make alliances with other world leaders.

Thoughts?

Discuss!!

baronjohn

Cipher
That's not a RPG. A RPG is a game in which you start as a wimp but it's rvealed that you're the chosen one upon wich you go out and become powerful and can kill gods and stuffs

Erebus

Arcane
You can be the villain in MotB. In fact, it's a good idea.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I want a game when I play as a cosmic horror from beyond reality and try to destroy this universe. MoTB comes close with the chaotic-evil ending but thats not it...

m_s0

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
How doable is this? The closest I can think of is Blood Omens, but that was not a real rpg.

Basically, you would start out pretty damn powerful, with many loyal henchmen. You go through the game trying to conquer territory for yourself (I dunno how this should be handled
I'd play a game like that. The whole thing would a piece of cake, no resistance whatsoever, but at the end you'd have to fight a ridiculously overpowered hero who came completely out of nowhere and who'd stomp you in 5 seconds. Fun.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
m_s0 said:
AndhairaX said:

Basically, you would start out pretty damn powerful, with many loyal henchmen. You go through the game trying to conquer territory for yourself (I dunno how this should be handled
I'd play a game like that. The whole thing would a piece of cake, no resistance whatsoever, but at the end you'd have to fight a ridiculously overpowered hero who came completely out of nowhere and who'd stomp you in 5 seconds. Fun.

Well there is always a bigger fish in the pond... Player could play some kind of ancient evil imprisoned due to the usual circumstances or something. Simply making it epic level game with divine interventions and powerful mortals could be fun.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Tales of eternia, the first two characters.

Actually in Gadget Trial main characters were kind of... That war happened only because of them.

Dicksmoker said:
Forced villiany? Fuck that shit.

Why not? Quite often it is forced Good Guy after all. Perhaps another way of putting it is 'forced good ending'. You can be a thief, a liar, a drunkard and a murderer until, right at the end, you save the Realm/Universe/Multiverse/Etc.

In this game, perhaps you could be a shining knight of righteousness throughout, until the end where your actions cause the Great Evil to win. Paved with good intentions and all that.

Blackadder is about spot on, as the way designers are these days, they wouldn't have to change anything but names. As if they put in enough enough consideration and analysis as to the deeper nature of what the character is doing.

Kill shit, rape the corpse, find someone to pay you for it.

I think you would find that if someone did try to go the "evil" route, it would prompt them into thinking moral details much more, simply because familiarity breeds complacency. Break down comfort zones, and suddenly people have to think again. Not that I could have much in the way of expectations, unless they made every effort to break down all barriers and cliches of RPG development. Any volunteers?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Rather than just play an 'evil' character, why not also have in a game an examination of why 'Necros the Necromancer' became so butthurt as to want to take over and/or destroy the world? I'd love to see decent motivation for the big bad in games.

The game could trace the rise to power of the evil hero from fallen good guy or lowly minion until his eventual victory over his/her enemies.

In addition there could be c&c in the form of what kind of 'evil' you practice, be it the 'lawful evil' variety where you don't necessarily go around slaughtering everyone, or 'chaotic' where you can be as unbalanced and brutal as you want.

Incidentally I feel that there has rarely been much attention paid in D&D games to really make a distinction between all these evil alignments. When you read the descriptions of them in something like BG, they show 'evil' to have many shades(even appearing to have a dig at ruthless capitalism with some of the examples of 'evil'), and making it clear that just mindless malevolence is not the only way that 'evil' can manifest itself. In the games though, the represented version of 'evil' boils down to the same old cackling megalomaniac as always.

Maybe at the end of the game you could export your achievements into a sequel which then has the perspective of the good guy trying to overthrow your rule? There would be a stock level of power for the evil force you fight(in case you start a new game), but depending on what method you used to come to power and how successful the rise was in the first game, you would have more or fewer 'levels' of power added to the 'evil' side in the sequel, including different numbers, and types of forces(a lawful evil playthrough could see more human type enemies and more loyalty to the evil ruler among the people than a chaotic evil play which would have numerous non-human beasts and a population more prone to revolt for example). It wouldn't have to be drastic, but would be a nice turn where the better you d as the evil character, the harder you can make the default game for a subsequent good character.

dolio

Scholar
There was the NWN (and later NWN2) module A Hunt through the Dark. In that you play a (relatively) low level drow dude, in the service of some cleric mistress. The gameplay isn't a lot different, in that you're going to a cave to kick some goblins' asses and such, but the motivation is more like, "round up some goblin slaves," instead of, "kill goblins to protect the villiage."

And as I recall, toward the end, you bust out onto the surface and cause a disturbance in some town, but then get your ass beat back into the underdark.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom