Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review And Book Review He Did

Kron

Arcane
I demand extracts from this masterpiece!

Post them NAO.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Lesifoere said:
Chefe said:
Are there any romances in this book?

Rowan, the beautiful warrior maiden betrothed to Maric since birth.
This is 100% bullshit. His a prince, if she's betrothed to him from birth shouldn't she be... you know, a royalty? Besides, doesn't she have anything to say in this, like: "No, your not the prince anymore, the deal is off"?

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
WhiskeyWolf said:
Lesifoere said:
Chefe said:

This is 100% bullshit. His a prince, if she's betrothed to him from birth shouldn't she be... you know, a royalty? Besides, doesn't she have anything to say in this, like: "No, your not the prince anymore, the deal is off"?
The concept of story escapes these types of writers. Why do you think so many people write science fiction/fantasy? It's because they don't know enough about how the world works, and used to work, to write anything else. They've got to make shit up. Fans lap this sort of crap up like sloppy cum.

Selenti

Liturgist
Haha, HOLY SHIT, I was going to post something here along the lines of "given the standard in modern fantasy, Gaider probably isn't that bad", but then I found the title on Amazon, and clicked the "show me the first few pages" button.

I was laughing by the second sentence. It actually manages to make the Diablo books look good (hint: the prose there is straight out of the Eye of Argon).

Here's a sample:

His mother's dying words whipped him into action.

Yeah, that happens.

Grunting with effort, Maric shoved back,

And barely a sentence past that, we have

Maric violently shoved back again

I'm probably being way too picky, but damn. I didn't realize writing for video games made you a celebrity author (i.e, an author who can write sloppily and get published because they are a celebrity).

Chefe

Erudite
Lesifoere said:
Chefe said:

Is this fantasy fantasy where there's an infinite amount of kingdoms and an infinite amount of beautiful unrelated people and free love springs in the air, or is the world a more realistic monarchy world and the beautiful warrior maiden Rowan is actually his sister-cousin?

But more importantly, does he give her any 'books', if you know what I'm sayin'. ;) ;)

Chefe

Erudite
What's wrong with JK Rowling? If it weren't for her, we would have never gotten to know and love Emma Watson.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
neleos.jpg

Chefe

Erudite
poocolator said:
Personally, I don't care about her success either way. I don't matter, anyway; but ask someone like Stephen King what he thinks about her and the upstart who wrote Twilight.

Stephen King is one of the worst writers to ever grace our literary world. I'd read Gaider's scatbook over another King novel any day.

quasimodo

Augur
Mister Arkham said:
Shannow said:
Joe Ambercrombie: like Martin, more dark/gritty, less epic.

Nice to find someone else who has read these. Interesting characters, fairly well developed setting, and some nice twisting/killing of the tired old fantasy tropes. Thought that the First Law series kind of petered out at the end, but Best Served Cold has been enjoyable so far.

Also, to hell with this Dragon Age thing. I've no problem with media tie-ins as a rule, because there's obviously an audience for them (and even if it's the idiot masses it's at least getting them reading), but I read through a couple of chapters in the store the other day and it was wholly wretched. The worst kind of fantasy writing.

I'm also glad to see Abecrombie getting some attention. I thought the First Law series was the best thing I have read fron a new author in quite awhile. I'm looking to pick up "Best Served Cold" ASAP.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Chefe said:
poocolator said:
Personally, I don't care about her success either way. I don't matter, anyway; but ask someone like Stephen King what he thinks about her and the upstart who wrote Twilight.

Stephen King is one of the worst writers to ever grace our literary world. I'd read Gaider's scatbook over another King novel any day.
You're also a beaner and a loser who doesn't qualify for having good taste. Sorry :cry:

nomask7

Arcane
poocolator said:
The concept of story escapes these types of writers. Why do you think so many people write science fiction/fantasy? It's because they don't know enough about how the world works, and used to work, to write anything else. They've got to make shit up. Fans lap this sort of crap up like sloppy cum.
An absolutely moronic theory. Why read fiction in the first place if it can't be, well ya know, FICTION? There is only one real distinction that exists or need be made if it doesn't—that between good fiction and bad fiction. All books of fiction fall neatly into one of those two categories, but any other attempt at categorization will end up in a god awful mess with severed limbs, broken faces. Realistic fiction: it's like that Hollywood stamp "based on a true story". People who understand only literal meanings need such assurances or they can't relate to anything that happens in a story. "What? This story doesn't take place in modern or historical New York? OBVIOUSLY it can't have anything to do with me then. Reading it would be a waste of time. Reading for aesthetic purposes is inconceivable to me and anyway I don't have an imagination." Now, I agree deeply and wholeheartedly with Lesi about genre: read the books that don't fit, because they are the best. James Branch Cabell isn't good because it's good "fantasy". James Branch Cabell is good because it's James Branch Cabell. The same, in fact, is true of every good ouvre of fiction.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I find it amusing that people blam fantasy and fiction as "childish", "shit" and completely "unworthy" when compared to other classics. Let's not forget that some of the most important works of literature, ever, that have helped shape the very foundations of our societies, are fantasies and fictions about super powered beings, heroes, monsters and so on.

Shit, even one of the earliest known works of literature, the Epic of Gilgamesh, is fantasy.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Hobo Elf said:
Shit, even one of the earliest known works of literature, the Epic of Gilgamesh, is fantasy.

At the time it was written, it was considered Non Fiction. :o

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
I think it's a lot easier for science fiction or fantasy to escape with cardboard characters, since the books are rarely specifically character studies, in my experience; and their plots often don't really have anything to say about the real world (and if they do have something to say about 'our' lives, they have to justify why they're set in a land full of dwarves or aliens). Which is fine, if that's what you're after. What's wrong with a good story? Having said that, I do read mainly real-world fiction nowadays. Which can be as bad as any fantasy novel.

As someone else said, sci-fi/fantasy can be substantial and relevant - 1984 is an example of this. Perhaps this is rare, though.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
quasimodo said:
Mister Arkham said:
Shannow said:
Joe Ambercrombie: like Martin, more dark/gritty, less epic.

Nice to find someone else who has read these. Interesting characters, fairly well developed setting, and some nice twisting/killing of the tired old fantasy tropes. Thought that the First Law series kind of petered out at the end, but Best Served Cold has been enjoyable so far.

Also, to hell with this Dragon Age thing. I've no problem with media tie-ins as a rule, because there's obviously an audience for them (and even if it's the idiot masses it's at least getting them reading), but I read through a couple of chapters in the store the other day and it was wholly wretched. The worst kind of fantasy writing.

I'm also glad to see Abecrombie getting some attention. I thought the First Law series was the best thing I have read fron a new author in quite awhile. I'm looking to pick up "Best Served Cold" ASAP.
Abercrombie is fucking awesome. The best trilogy I've read in a long, long time. Best Served Cold is good, but it's lighter and it shows. Still, it has many familiar characters, so the fans of the trilogy won't be disappointed.

Anyway, my point is that anyone who likes fantasy and haven't read Abercrombie yet should go and get the First Law trilogy asa-fucking-p.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
...I still don't get what's so amazing about Abercrombie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom