Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review And Book Review He Did

Chefe

Erudite
I shop at Abercrombie sometimes.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why don all you mothafuckas git togeder n write sump'n bettah? (I'm bad with accents)

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Lesifoere said:
...I still don't get what's so amazing about Abercrombie.

I'm not too certain of that myself. I'll give that he's quite good, and say that he has written the most refreshing fantasy that I have read in quite some time... but I wouldn't say that he's as good as most reviewers/other writers have said he is.

I must also say that I'm enjoying Best Served Cold more consistently than I enjoyed The First Law. Something about the simplicity of the narrative and the way that it's structured.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Mister Arkham said:
Lesifoere said:

I'm not too certain of that myself. I'll give that he's quite good, and say that he has written the most refreshing fantasy that I have read in quite some time... but I wouldn't say that he's as good as most reviewers/other writers have said he is.

I've read the first two books of his trilogy and, while I find Glokta pretty funny, feel that's all that can be said for them. It's half-decent but hardly worth the overhyping that makes it out to be the second coming of blah. I don't know about refreshing, either, since it adheres to the epic-pseudo-medieval-Europe model and relies heavily on tropes ("HAH! fooled you I'm totally twisting and breaking character archetypes!!!").

Is it the ASoIaF drought/GRRM being slow maybe? Abercrombie writes the kind of stuff that ASoIaF fans are likely to gravitate to, I suppose.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Didn't really like it. Overall, I think that the first book was great and then it slowly went downhill.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Lesifoere said:
Mister Arkham said:
Lesifoere said:

I've read the first two books of his trilogy and, while I find Glokta pretty funny, feel that's all that can be said for them. It's half-decent but hardly worth the overhyping that makes it out to be the second coming of blah. I don't know about refreshing, either, since it adheres to the epic-pseudo-medieval-Europe model and relies heavily on tropes ("HAH! fooled you I'm totally twisting and breaking character archetypes!!!").

Is it the ASoIaF drought/GRRM being slow maybe? Abercrombie writes the kind of stuff that ASoIaF fans are likely to gravitate to, I suppose.

I've been told that it's similar to Martin's work by some friends who are pretty big fans of his. I've never read anything of his, nor any of the Ice and Fire stuff, so I can't comment from personal experience. You may well be correct though.

As for the rest, I find it difficult to really quantify what makes Abercrombie's writing jump out at me more than the next guy's. I admire the things that I think he does well, and can certainly recognize the things that I feel that he does not. I just find it to be more enjoyable reading than most fantasy fare, especially in a time when Terry fucking Goodkind writes the same old shit he was writing more than a decade ago and still sells millions of copies and gets a television show.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Wonderful counter-rant, but...
nomask7 said:
An absolutely moronic theory. Why read fiction in the first place if it can't be, well ya know, FICTION? There is only one real distinction that exists or need be made if it doesn't—that between good fiction and bad fiction. All books of fiction fall neatly into one of those two categories, but any other attempt at categorization will end up in a god awful mess with severed limbs, broken faces.

First of all, I never said, "don't read fiction." Fiction writers can write wonderfully and I myself love a number of science fiction authors. Characters are fleshed out, and interact believably; innovative scenarios are presented to the reader and the book's characters; unforeseen consequences to actions, yadda yadda...

Secondly, while I did overreact, I'm somewhat justified in bitching about how fantasy writers always create worlds, socially and practically speaking, identical to ours. If you're going to include witches and warlocks, princes and princesses, knights and fucking demons, why not the attendant taboo? Make it interesting for a change; impose some law & order in that regard. Also, flesh out a believable economy. Where does the food come from? Why are broadswords being sold at the marketplace, to the general public, instead of foodstuffs? Why are there no fiefs scattered about the countryside if your nation is allegedly a feudalism? If you want to do a take on the Roman Republic, then do so and provide details so we know you aren't fibbing, and don't have a clue.

Thirdly, if you can call my tiny tidbit of a statement a "theory," then I think you yearn for the sort of discussion you won't find here, with me.

Realistic fiction: it's like that Hollywood stamp "based on a true story".
Let's agree to stop calling it "Realistic fiction" and start calling it "Historical fiction" because I'm not at all interested by the connotation of the former. That being said, I've read plenty of Historical fiction very, very well-researched from which I've even managed to learn a thing or two. I've done follow-ups on my own and, lo and behold, the book hadn't lied.

I'm proposing a goodly combination of the two. Something these dime-a-dozen, prolific fantasy writers don't seem to be able to achieve. Any moron can shit out fantasy worlds, but to add features separating them from our own, modern world, takes knowledge and heart.

People who understand only literal meanings need such assurances or they can't relate to anything that happens in a story. "What? This story doesn't take place in modern or historical New York? OBVIOUSLY it can't have anything to do with me then. Reading it would be a waste of time. Reading for aesthetic purposes is inconceivable to me and anyway I don't have an imagination."
You sound butthurt here, and I can't imagine why. I read for the literary value, regardless of subject matter.

Now, I agree deeply and wholeheartedly with Lesi about genre: read the books that don't fit, because they are the best. James Branch Cabell isn't good because it's good "fantasy". James Branch Cabell is good because it's James Branch Cabell. The same, in fact, is true of every good ouvre of fiction.
He may be a good writer but if he doesn't make his fantasy even a tad believable, if he turns it into a LARP session performed by 21st-century teenagers, then he should have stayed awake during history class, in elementary school.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Stephen King is one of the worst writers to ever grace our literary world."

You are fuckin' dumb. Seriously, dude. Green Mile? Shawnshank Redemption? The Stand? It? Misery? You fuckin' moron.

"Sorry that nobody like Kings books"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nomask7

Arcane
poocolator said:
Now, I agree deeply and wholeheartedly with Lesi about genre: read the books that don't fit, because they are the best. James Branch Cabell isn't good because it's good "fantasy". James Branch Cabell is good because it's James Branch Cabell. The same, in fact, is true of every good ouvre of fiction.
He may be a good writer but if he doesn't make his fantasy even a tad believable, if he turns it into a LARP session performed by 21st-century teenagers, then he should have stayed awake during history class, in elementary school.
Why don't you read Figures of Earth and decide for yourself? Maybe you'll decide that it's not important. You just don't appear to have any idea why realism seems to me like a set of tired & often self-imposed restrictions by mediocre minds, and I don't believe I can do better than point you to that novel.

nomask7

Arcane
P.S. Cabell is the definition of erudite. You may notice that consistent historical settings pale in comparison to the sheer number of obscure allusions to history, legend, and myth contained in a single Cabell novel. More likely though, you won't notice, because he's so much more erudite than you.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Saying Stephen King is the worst writer ever is ignoring a vast amount of really obnoxious hacks. Like Gaidar. Or that Twilight woman. Or those wannabe-Tom Clancy copycats who write "military techno thrillers".

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I refuse to read the whole Twilight books (I'd rather stick to my homo-erotic Anne Rice ones), I am reading her The Host book, and so far, I was expecting A LOT worse writing. I's actually... ok for the most part.

kris

Arcane
poocolator said:
Personally, I don't care about her success either way. I don't matter, anyway; but ask someone like Stephen King what he thinks about her and the upstart who wrote Twilight.

I think you should not forget the audience. It was youths for Rowling, like Lewis. Those works fit greatly into opening the minds of young people and opening up their eyes to fantasy and fantasies.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
nomask said:
I haven't read Cabell, so I can't comment. I'll take your word for it that he's more "erudite" than myself. Speaking of which, for those too lazy to open up dictionary.com:

er·u·dite (adj.)
Characterized by erudition; learned. See Synonyms at learned.

P.S. Cabell is the definition of erudite. You may notice that consistent historical settings pale in comparison to the sheer number of obscure allusions to history, legend, and myth contained in a single Cabell novel. More likely though, you won't notice, because he's so much more erudite than you.
Somehow, I think reading anything already traipsed by your obviously very discerning, and erudite, mind would ruin the experience for me. I don't doubt that the monolith of a man of whom you speak writes monumental works for the betterment of all mankind, especially considering the sheer quantity of "obscure allusions to history, legend, and myth" you claim he inserts into his writing. Incidentally, a paraphrased quote comes to mind, something along the lines of:
"Those who can't write fill their work up with obscure shit to baffle others."

What really puzzles me, though, is how someone like yourself finds it appropriate and dignified to invoke his name in a discussion on second-rate fantasy novels on the internet, specifically: rpgcodex.net. I'll forgive you, as I'm sure he would considering how humble and modest he must be to write in the aforementioned fashion and for the aforementioned reasons. He probably respects all literary amateurs and jockeys for what they're striving. Don't worry about that. Nah, he'd probably forgive you because you're a meaningless smear of shit across a highway trod by giants.

On a related note, in case you're wondering just why I don't give a shit about your view on "realism," let me dig something up from my previous post:
poocolator said:
[...] I think you yearn for the sort of discussion you won't find here, with me.

For future reference: don't sound so butthurt :(

kris said:
poocolator said:
Personally, I don't care about her success either way. I don't matter, anyway; but ask someone like Stephen King what he thinks about her and the upstart who wrote Twilight.

I think you should not forget the audience. It was youths for Rowling, like Lewis. Those works fit greatly into opening the minds of young people and opening up their eyes to fantasy and fantasies.
Very true, IMO. Getting kids to read is a feat teachers are trying to accomplish all across the occident. I should give more credit where it's due :)

Data4

Arcane
About Anne Rice, her prose and narrative skills are pretty good, and her dialogue is believable within the world she's created. I think people are more turned off by her homogay takes on vampires than her mad author skillz.

I still can't believe her conversion, though. It's almost like King Diamond leading worship services at a tent revival.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Data4 said:
About Anne Rice, her prose and narrative skills are pretty good, and her dialogue is believable within the world she's created. I think people are more turned off by her homogay takes on vampires than her mad author skillz.

I still can't believe her conversion, though. It's almost like King Diamond leading worship services at a tent revival.

:lol: Yea, that was a bit.... shocking. Bioware could learn a few things in plot twits.

Personally, I fucking loved The Witching Hour, it wasn't homogay, but from a female perspective. Which was fine. :boner:

Chefe

Erudite
Volourn said:
"Stephen King is one of the worst writers to ever grace our literary world."

You are fuckin' dumb. Seriously, dude. Green Mile? Shawnshank Redemption? The Stand? It? Misery? You fuckin' moron.

Green Mile, Shawshank, and It are only excellent ("It" was okay) because of the actors that played in them, the directors, and the film editors. The books SUCKED. You want to see what happens when they actually film a Stephen King book the way he wrote it? One word: Cujo. Stupid, stupid shit. Exactly like the book.

King's only good book is the Tommyknockers - which is of course hated by all the King fanbois. That's one of the best scifi books ever written. King readers just can't stand quality (one of the most common complaints reads somewhat like this: "LOL this bok sux!!!1 to long!! wut kingy dednt got an editer or sumthin??111 lol"). He got the message, because he was back to writing shit soon after.

GarfunkeL said:
Saying Stephen King is the worst writer ever is ignoring a vast amount of really obnoxious hacks. Like Gaidar. Or that Twilight woman. Or those wannabe-Tom Clancy copycats who write "military techno thrillers".

I suppose this was directed towards me. I never said he was the worst - only one of the worst. A writer is even worse than 'just bad' if his shit is praised by millions and causes the quality of writing in near future generations to decline. It's the same with games. This is the reason that Oblivion is miles worse than, say, Legends of Valor.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The sad thing with Stephen King is that, writing skills aside, he looks like a decent dude.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I raise my eyebrow at the idea that fantasy should be historically accurate, as if all fantasy took place in medieval Europe copies. Hey, anyone'd like to mail China Mieville and tell him how New Crobuzon isn't historically accurate...? Speculative fiction, what.

Data4 said:

I... well, no. Remember the scene in, what was it, Memnoch the Devil where she has Lestat suck menstrual blood off a woman's tampon? YEAH NO. NO. NO.

Anne Rice said:
I rolled her over gently, careful not to press her with my weight, and I pulled up her
skirt, and I lay my face against her hot naked thighs. The smell of the blood flooded my
brain.

"Forgive me, forgive me," I whispered, and my tongue broke through the thin cotton of
her panties, tearing the cloth back from the soft down of pubic hair, pushing aside the
bloodstained pad she wore, and I lapped at the blood just inside her young pink vaginal
lips, just coming from the mouth of her womb, not pure blood, but blood from her, blood
from her strong, young body, blood all over the tight hot cells of her vaginal flesh,
blood that brought no pain, no sacrifice, only her gentle forbearance with me,
with my unspeakable act, my tongue going deep into her, drawing out the blood that was yet to
come, gently, gently, lapping the blood from the soft hair on her pubic lips, sucking
each tiny droplet of it.
I lay panting against her. The blood was all gone inside me now. I had drawn all of it
from her womb that was meant to come. I had licked away even what had collected on the
pad that had lain against her skin.

Chefe

Erudite
That's pathetic. Carrie is worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom