Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/old-bioware-has-become-a-distant-memory/

Old BioWare has become a distant memory
Where BioWare could go next following the disappointment of Anthem.
XYL7qBnCYP2vYe4Df4gUVb-320-80.jpg

From the outside looking in, BioWare has had a tough time of it lately. Over four years since Inquisition, we've only had one recent teaser for a fourth Dragon Age, despite the last game being the studio's most successful launch in its history. Mass Effect Andromeda was to most players a disappointment, with its planned DLC never seeing the light of day. Anthem, meanwhile, doesn't feel ready for launch—it's a slight-feeling game that doesn't invoke the same excitement the studio's previous series did. Counterpoint: The Old Republic ticks away in the background.

BioWare's games have always been changing. Mass Effect was arguably the last big transition, an RPG shaped primarily for shooter players during an era dominated by Gears of War—its second and third entries more so. To fans of the cRPGs that made its name, Dragon Age: Origins probably felt like the last gasp of a previously PC-focused studio. Anthem represents another transition—albeit, a far less successful one—into the increasingly overpopulated space of shooters that want to keep you playing forever by using loot or cosmetics as an incentive. It was okay for BioWare to want to change again and try something new, but too many of its strengths got buried in this particular attempt to branch out.

Pondering BioWare's future, the most optimistic scenario to me is this: Anthem gets back on track and finds a large enough, steady audience to keep it growing until it reaches its full potential, much like The Division did. That might take a while. Next up, BioWare makes that Dragon Age game we finally got a hint of last year, and it shows everyone it can make a singleplayer RPG on the same level it used to. And after that, almost a decade into the future, these vague promises of a new Mass Effect turn into an actual game that gets people excited about that universe once more. Hopefully, too, there'd be a few unexpected surprises along the way.

The reality will probably turn out pretty differently, but in the short term, the studio has been great at accepting and addressing criticism of Anthem's flaws like its loot system. It's been vocal in the additions it plans to make to the game, which is also a positive step. But it remains that BioWare has had a disappointing few years, and that other games are now better at the things it used to do so well.

Anthem is disappointing in many tiny ways, but the biggest problem to a long-time BioWare fan is surely how the story is presented. There's almost no unity between Fort Tarsis, where all of the story content is siloed off, and the world where you fly around with three other players in cool robot armour. The conversations at Tarsis give you few reasons to be invested—only by the end of the campaign did I start to care about the stories of Faye and Haluk, two of your character's oldest companions. And at that point, the story was over, feeling like half a game that was padded out with needless side quests.

BioWare had the right to make something new—but Anthem is simply not as good as its other games.

The competition and the pretenders
I feel like the games around BioWare have thrived while it's struggled, and that there's a sense of missed opportunity as a result. Last year, Assassin's Creed Odyssey brought choices to the series for the first time, in a move undoubtedly inspired by BioWare's own successful attempts to do so. It's weird to me that Assassin's Creed, a series I previously associated with boring main characters and naff plots about real historical figures, has eaten BioWare's lunch, yet here we are. The strong response to Odyssey's Kassandra, for example, mirrors the passionate way people used to talk about Mass Effect's characters.

It's interesting to see how else that open world RPG space has moved on around the studio. Mega-selling PS4 game Horizon: Zero Dawn features character conversations similar to those of Mass Effect. In terms of competitors, The Witcher 3 emerged as the greatest blockbuster RPG of its generation, not long after the arrival of Inquisition. Obsidian, of course, has its roots in cRPGs as well—and seeing them announce something like The Outer Worlds is exciting because it plays to their traditional strengths.

There's definitely still a place for BioWare to be doing what it does best—and the announcement of a title-less Dragon Age before Anthem was even released feels like a statement of intent. The reality remains that someone decided to release Anthem last week, when it clearly would have benefitted from extra time.

I really hope BioWare's next project is a huge success—I think it's a victim of overwhelming expectations, partly driven by the fact that people have been so emotionally invested in its past games. I've seen the story told many times about how BioWare turned its back on its history since it moved away from making classic RPGs, onto the action games it's now best known for.

You know what? I reject that. Those games meant a lot to me. Mass Effect 2's set of characters had a bigger impact on me than that of any game from the last decade, and even when Dragon Age 2 trapped me in Kirkwall for tens of hours, BioWare knew how to show me a good time. A lot of years have passed, though, and games are not in the same place they used to be.

It's not fair of me to ask BioWare to make the same games it once did, when the studio itself is bound to have changed in the meantime. I just wish Anthem was better, and that I could get as invested in it as I wanted to be.

When trying to predict what happens to BioWare next, I focus on what the studio's General Manager Casey Hudson outlined as its mission statement in May of last year.

"We create worlds of adventure, conflict, and companionship that inspire you to become the hero of your story."

To me, Anthem only half-achieved those things. But I hope I'll someday play another BioWare game that hits all of them at once.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

That text reads like a biodrone shill who is nearing the acceptance stage of grief.

Mass Effect 2's set of characters had a bigger impact on me than that of any game from the last decade

even when Dragon Age 2 trapped me in Kirkwall for tens of hours, BioWare knew how to show me a good time

Two of the biggest declines in Bioware used as examples of stand-out games. Two malignant tumors, which created this offspring we're seeing fail miserably today. Those exact two games.

Acceptance of the demise of Bioware may be approaching, but no understanding as to why.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

That text reads like a biodrone shill who is nearing the acceptance stage of grief.

Mass Effect 2's set of characters had a bigger impact on me than that of any game from the last decade

even when Dragon Age 2 trapped me in Kirkwall for tens of hours, BioWare knew how to show me a good time

Two of the biggest declines in Bioware used as examples of stand-out games. Two malignant tumors, which created this offspring we're seeing fail miserably today. Those exact two games.

Acceptance of the demise of Bioware may be approaching, but no understanding as to why.
Mass Effect 2 had a really great cast of characters, so they are on point in that sense, but Dragon Age 2 was just derp, with laughable characters and dialogues.

An article 12 years in the making. I guess only after nearly 7 years of out and out fuck ups is it safe for them to say maybe something is wrong. Seems like an article these guys should have been writing after Dragon Age 2.

Although this framing of Anthem as a radically different direction is odd given their biggest series is a third person shooter, and they've been doing multiplayer with it for years now.

Ulukai

Literate
BTW, there's a good reason why "Diablo with guns" will never work unless it's done either in the Borderlands or in Lichdom: Battlemage (Edit: Or more aptly for the thread, Warframe) style. Have a look at all the modern Diablo-likes. Gear is pretty low-poly, low-detail, quick to make fare. Borderlands was pretty much the same thing, cartoonish style hiding a fairly low-detail model job. Anthem? Welp no, level of detail on models in FPS/TPS games has to be at a completely different level. How many of those can be made quickly? How's that for a sustainable production point of view? It just doesn't fucking work. You can see that with games like Destiny, where the the amount of models is fairly limited (but is somewhat offset with weapon mods).

So, you end up with the worst of all worlds - a game with a repetitive gameplay loop that's also limited by both the weapon/armor model sets AND by the amount of items they'll represent (so, the amount of actual upgrades is also limited). Producing a lot of models quickly ends up either with half-assed models or with a huge and expensive team, and with the way the game performed at launch, and with general climate in gamedev in general and EA in particular, you can sort of guess which side of things they might lean to, if they might lean to any side at all. I mean, if it's not gonna bring much money, why not make it cheap AND slow?

In other words: it's dead, Jim.

Like the "miracle weapons" of the Third Reich, the Frostbite engine would have squandered all of Bioware's resources and operational capabilities since Dragon Age Inquisition according to Jason Schreier

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm sure Frostbite 3 is not the most fun platform to create for, but it's a stretch to blame it in any way, shape or form, for the situation Bioware finds itself in.

Braindrain, diversity hires, nepotism, corporate goals, general incompetence and lack of leadership are things which actually cause such a massive decline. Frostbite 3 is an issue which can be overcome, if it is an issue at all.

Codex Year of the Donut
Blaming the engine is bullshit when they have access to the source and are an arm of the same company that develops the engine.
Warframe uses an in-house engine that was created for the fucking singleplayer game Dark Sector by a handful of people.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm sure Frostbite 3 is not the most fun platform to create for, but it's a stretch to blame it in any way, shape or form, for the situation Bioware finds itself in.

This. Warhorse took Cryengine 3, an engine just as narrowly specialized for simple, corridor FPS, and turned it into a complex, open-world RPG with simulationist AI. It's an Eastern Yuro indie dev with like 5 programmers working for a potato soup a week.

Plus it's p. obvious there are piles of brontosaurus shit all over DAI and Anthem completely unrelated to the engine. All this talk about Frostbite is largely whining and blame shifting.

EverlastingLove

Learned
Yeah shitty writing, uninspiring combat design, boring crafting and loot, tedious gameplay loop, cheap ass quests like defending one spot from waves of brain-dead enemies ITZ ALL ENGINE FAULT WAAAAAAAH MUH STORY TELLING GENIUS BIOWARE LIVE THEM ALONE BAD EA

LMAO

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
You obviously can't expect them to build custom tooling when they only had 6-7 years to work with the engine.

Gerrard

Arcane
Blaming the engine is bullshit when they have access to the source and are an arm of the same company that develops the engine.
Warframe uses an in-house engine that was created for the fucking singleplayer game Dark Sector by a handful of people.
Are you implying that Warframe has a good engine? The same Warframe that chooses the person with awful connection/hardware to be the host, which turnss the game into a shitshow for the remaining 3 players? Where weapon switching is server side? The same one where a third party company making the Switch port was able to make a 33% optimization on one of the rendering passes?

Codex Year of the Donut
Are you implying that Warframe has a good engine? The same Warframe that chooses the person with awful connection/hardware to be the host, which turnss the game into a shitshow for the remaining 3 players? Where weapon switching is server side? The same one where a third party company making the Switch port was able to make a 33% optimization on one of the rendering passes?
I'm implying a shit engine can still make a good game you illiterate dunce.

Gerrard

Arcane
I'm implying a shit engine can still make a good game you illiterate dunce.
Archwing exists.

Ulukai

Literate
I agree but bad ingredients make your food shitier if you’re a bad cook

Many players are surprised by the lack of variety about loot and environments. How to explain such poverty after 6 years of development ? Even a class of dumb teenagers would be able to offer more diverse and cool weapon design than Anthem

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lets be honest here,the engine is shit to make such games. And no,the engine is not responsible for them being incompetent sjw retards. The game have a ton of stupid design decisions that have nothing to do with the engine,it didn't come to life and write the "story". Still i am pretty sure that this is at least second iteration of the game. Can you imagine running the trailer version on a console? It will fucking melt it,they can't even run the current version without problems and endless loading screens.They degraded the quality of the game at least a few times so it could meet the console benchmarks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom