Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

Codex Year of the Donut
Game is selling for $5.38 on Amazon.

Where is that dude that was saying it was too early to say Anthem was dead?

Even cheaper on Gamestop:

gs_2019bfad_pages_1w3j9f.jpg

Reduced from 10 bucks to 5.

:positive:

EDIT: Gerrard SerratedBiz Pic should work now - thanks for pointing out.
lol at anthem being less than half of FO76

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
It'll be interesting to see if EA continues to fund these alleged attempts at overhauling/resurrecting Anthem. They obviously want a piece of the Destiny/Division looter shooter live service pie, but at what stage do they realize it's just not worth it?
Supposedly Anthem was handed off to Bioware Austin but… Bioware Austin recently put up a bunch of job listings and nearly all of them were for working on SWTOR, none of them managed Anthem at all.

ADL

Prophet
As much of a dumpster fire as this game is, the shooting and javelin movement are fun and there's something worth salvaging underneath all of their terrible decisions, monetization and bureaucratic bullshit. Problem is, I don't see Electronic Arts as the company that's willing or capable to "A Realm Reborn" it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
At least on the ps4 you cant play this without ps plus, not even the single player missions. Thats a huge turn off for players used to playing warframe without needed plus, none of the mmos on ps require plus... But anthem.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.

Modron

Arcane
Kek at that Fallout 76 cover advertising it has in game purchases like it's a desirable trait to possess.

Myobi

Liturgist
Are there any news on the supposed remake-jesus-path or this thing is really fucking dead ?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...orking-on-a-substantial-reinvention-of-anthem

BioWare confirms it's working on a "substantial reinvention" of Anthem

Following reports of "Anthem 2.0" last year.

News by Matt Wales, Reporter

Updated on 10 February 2020
BioWare has shared its future plans for beleaguered multiplayer shooter Anthem, confirming it's currently in the throes of a "longer-term redesign" that will ultimately deliver a "substantial reinvention" of the core Anthem experience.

Word of a major overhaul for Anthem first surfaced last November, when Kotaku's Jason Schreier reported that plans to radically rework the troubled shooter - into a so-called "Anthem Next" or "Anthem 2.0" - had been on the cards for some time. Eurogamer had previously heard similar word from its own sources.

Now, three months later - and a little under a year since Anthem's rocky launch on Xbox One, PS4, and PC - BioWare general manager Casey Hudson has confirmed those plans in a new blog post. "Over the last year, the team has worked hard to improve stability, performance and general quality of life while delivering three seasons of new content and features," he wrote, "We have also heard your feedback that Anthem needs a more satisfying loot experience, better long-term progression and a more fulfilling end game."

"We recognise that there's still more fundamental work to be done to bring out the full potential of the experience," continued Hudson, "and it will require a more substantial reinvention than an update or expansion".

To that end, BioWare will be focussing on a longer-term redesign over the coming months, with the studio aiming to reinvent "the core gameplay loop with clear goals, motivating challenges and progression with meaningful rewards". However, the "fun of flying and fighting in a vast science-fantasy setting" will, says the developer, be preserved.

To achieve that goal, explained Hudson, BioWare will "be doing something we'd like to have done more of the first time around - giving a focused team the time to test and iterate, focusing on gameplay first." As such, updates to the current iteration of Anthem will follow a different format to that seen previously while the team concentrates its efforts on the overhaul.

Further events and store refreshes are promised, as are returns to previous seasonal content, including last year's much-delayed Cataclysm update. However, the team will "move away from full seasons" as its extensive "reinvention" continues.

"Creating new worlds is central to our studio mission, but it's not easy," concluded Hudson, "Sometimes we get it right, sometimes we miss. What keeps us going is the support from players like you. Your feedback gives us guidance on how we can improve, and your passion inspires us with the courage to create. I look forward to working together with your involvement and feedback towards the best possible future for Anthem."

Hudson offered no timescale for delivering the Anthem reboot, but did note that existing players could expect to see one-year anniversary celebrations later this month.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
That's great. Except it also reads "game is in maintenance mode until we launch this major update and we're not telling you when".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://blog.bioware.com/2020/02/10/anthem-update-february-10/

Anthem Update
ANTHEM_ICETIDE_STORM_09-1024x576.png
IceTide_ScreenShots9-1024x576.jpg

Hey everyone!

One year ago, we were preparing to launch Anthem – a game that represented a big leap into new territory for us as a studio. It was an exhilarating and terrifying experience to go out to the world with something new and different, and we are grateful to all the players who have come along with us on the journey. It has been a thrill for us to see the creativity of our players in designing customized Javelins, and watching them master Anthem’s flying and fighting gameplay. I am so proud of the work the team has put into this game, and at the same time there’s so much more that we – and you – would have wanted from it.

Over the last year, the team has worked hard to improve stability, performance and general quality of life while delivering three seasons of new content and features. We have also heard your feedback that Anthem needs a more satisfying loot experience, better long-term progression and a more fulfilling end game. So we recognize that there’s still more fundamental work to be done to bring out the full potential of the experience, and it will require a more substantial reinvention than an update or expansion. Over the coming months we will be focusing on a longer-term redesign of the experience, specifically working to reinvent the core gameplay loop with clear goals, motivating challenges and progression with meaningful rewards – while preserving the fun of flying and fighting in a vast science-fantasy setting. And to do that properly we’ll be doing something we’d like to have done more of the first time around – giving a focused team the time to test and iterate, focusing on gameplay first.

In the meantime, we will continue to run the current version of Anthem, but move away from full seasons as the team works towards the future of Anthem. We’ll keep the game going with events, store refreshes, and revisiting past seasonal and cataclysm content – starting with our anniversary towards the end of the month.

Creating new worlds is central to our studio mission, but it’s not easy. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes we miss. What keeps us going is the support from players like you. Your feedback gives us guidance on how we can improve, and your passion inspires us with the courage to create. I look forward to working together with your involvement and feedback towards the best possible future for Anthem.

Casey

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Nice way to recoup some of the cost - as Xbox Series/PS5 "Definitive Edition" alongside it's weaker but free "Infinite Loading Edition" upgrade for Xbone/PS4 owners.

But hey, why not. I got to play the Beta, and the gameplay loop was there. If they can refine this and make everything else around it (aka the game) less shit, I'd give it a chance... maybe.

ADL

Prophet
Looks like my four dollar purchase will pay off... Eventually. I have my doubts whether they'll pull it off but stranger things have happened (No Man's Sky/Sea of Thieves come to mind).

The flight thing is funny, because that's like the big thing I keep seeing and hearing people point to as a fun aspect of the game...usually the most fun, but it also exist outside of the core gameplay of actually shooting stuff. Hearing it was EA that made BioWare keep the flying in is pretty funny; because while it's seemingly the thing people like most, it also feels like BioWare was resentful about this and just never took the time to work shooting into it. The flying also ended up being a fairly large part of their marketing, which makes it even odder they never worked gameplay into it; it instead just being a way to get around with hovering being what you do when firing.

abija

Prophet
Sounds exactly like the shit Bethesda was telling Quake Champions players while firing Saber (the studio working on the game). They didn't release anything meaningful in more than year, just shitty shop skins.
Or the timelines from Lawlbreakers.

LE: dully noted, this quake is not worth an acronym

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
The core flying and combat really are fun. The player controls well and the game world is beautiful to fly around in. It's just that the game itself sucked. A reboot could potentially be good.

Bioware Jetpackflight Simulator 2021 then.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

They're still working on this: https://blog.bioware.com/2020/05/15/may-anthem-update/

May Anthem Update

resize-Christian-Dailey-1024x979.jpg

Hi All,

My name is Christian, and I am the Studio Director for the BioWare Austin office that is leading the production of what we are exploring NEXT for Anthem. NICE TO MEET YOU!

Prior to this role I was the Franchise Development Director for the Anthem Live Service helping guide the development of our post-launch updates which focused on stabilizing and improving performance of the service, our first Cataclysm, Season of Skulls, Icetide and into the most recent update with 1.7. And in addition, I have been silently stalking you over the past year on Reddit, EA Forums, Twitter, etc. taking in all the feedback you have been graciously providing and adding it to the giant cookbook of things we are experimenting with in Anthem.

As you can see from my photo and like most of you, I am all set up from home, ready to be juggling multiple things – children, pets, family. Some days are better than others, but I can tell you that regardless of where I am working or where the team is working – we’re committed to this project. With that, I wanted to start with a quick update on what is going on with Anthem since we last discussed it in February.

Incubation- AKA prototyping

The Anthem incubation team has kicked off and we are starting to validate our design hypotheses. Incubation is a term we use internally – it essentially means we are going back and experimenting/prototyping to improve on the areas where we believe we fell short and to leverage everything that you love currently about Anthem. We are a small team – about 30-ish, earning our way forward as we set out to hit our first major milestone goals. Spoiler – this is going to be a longer process. And yes, the team is small but the whole point of this is to take our time and go back to the drawing board. And a small team gives us the agility a larger one can’t afford.

We really want this experience to be different for the team and our players, but we know we have some tough challenges to tackle. We want to include you as we go and be open and honest with where we are at and what the expectations are with where we are going. The reality is you will see things that look awesome but end up on the cutting room floor or things that you might think suck that you feel we are spending too much time on – but in the spirit of experimentation this is all OK. We really want to provide you all the transparency we can because of your passion and interest in Anthem. But, with that comes seeing how the sausage is made – which is not always pretty by the way.

Start the conversation

We also want to start putting together some regular comms out to everyone to show/talk about these changes and our progress. This blog is one example, but we also want to include you in more of the day to day and hopefully get you some real interactions with the team. These updates could come in the form of an ad-hoc live stream, or some cool concept art posted on social media, or the occasional feed of me curled up in a ball crying in the corner…

We will get back to everyone on what our update cadence will look like soon, as we start looping you into our progress.

We hope this finds you well

We have a great studio here in Austin working on Anthem and other cool projects (shout out to the SWTOR team). I am proud of the folks I spend time with – and in this physical distancing new world, the folks I spend time on Zoom with. I am not here to over hype anything, but we do believe the changes we are making are the right ones and we hope you think so as well…but you might not and that is cool too. It is the constructive criticism and feedback we need – in either direction.

I hope everyone is staying safe and focusing on the things that matter most to you. As game developers we are all very lucky for the job we get to do but there is some real stuff going on out there and some real heroes looking out for our safety and well-being. Take care of yourselves and each other. Stay tuned as we kick this off and we hope to see/hear from you as we go on this journey (stronger) together.

Christian

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom