Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aod News Main Thread

likaq

Arcane
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...oper-talks-indie-game-design-old-school-rpgs/
^
Great interview with Vince.

Some quotes:

Age of Decadence is a hard game. I’ve been killed so many times I’ve lost count. Combat is among the most challenging I’ve ever encountered in a game, and even the text-based portions of the game—sneaking into a castle, for instance—are rife with challenges that often lead to your untimely demise.

The game isn’t like most modern role-playing games. It’s neither cinematic nor fast-paced. It requires you to read a great deal, not to mention reload.

Basically it’s a tactical, turn-based fantasy RPG with a Roman-inspired setting. It’s a single-player RPG with a deep story, consequential choices, and no hint of “Kill Ten Goblin” fetch quests. In other words, it’s basically the antithesis of the MMORPG.

As an indie game developed by an indie studio, Iron Tower, Age of Decadence is unlike any other game on the market. And while technically it isn’t actually on the market yet, you can play the demo and get a pretty good feel for what it has to offer.

I’d only recommend doing so if you’re up for a challenge, however. This is not a game for the impatient or the action-minded. Quite the contrary.
^
Erik Kain's impressions

Combat difficulty is integrated into the setting. You can’t say that the world is harsh and unforgiving and then allow the player to kill everyone who looks at him or her funny. The game has to be hard, dying should be easy, and you should have reasons to pick your fights.

You aren’t a powerful hero who can defeat anyone and save the world and it is the difficulty that reinforces this notion. Make the game easier and we’re back to the powerful hero setup.

^

Suck on that " game is too hard " fags.

It’s a solo game for story-telling reasons. You’re trying to work your way up in the world and doing it with a bunch of buddies and romantic interests wouldn’t fit into what we’re trying to do.

Suck on that " every crpg must be party based!!! " fags.

:love:

Newspost about this would be nice :)

Calling Infinitron and Crooked Bee and Grunker :hug:

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
:incline: of both AoD for securing a more or less good game journalist, and Eric Kain for understanding the game.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Combat difficulty is integrated into the setting. You can’t say that the world is harsh and unforgiving and then allow the player to kill everyone who looks at him or her funny. The game has to be hard, dying should be easy, and you should have reasons to pick your fights.

You aren’t a powerful hero who can defeat anyone and save the world and it is the difficulty that reinforces this notion. Make the game easier and we’re back to the powerful hero setup.

^

Suck on that " game is too hard " fags.

It’s a solo game for story-telling reasons. You’re trying to work your way up in the world and doing it with a bunch of buddies and romantic interests wouldn’t fit into what we’re trying to do.

Suck on that " every crpg must be party based!!! " fags.

VD's opinion on AOD combat is as valuable as Todd Howard on skyrims. Talk about irony.

AngryKobold

Arcane
25 seashells is way too much for a game like this. Do they give any extras? Like, a parchment map... or at least sedatives, to prevent the eventual rage quit?

likaq

Arcane
News from Vince:

We switched to 1-10 skill system in R4. Why? The 1-100 system contributed greatly to meta-gaming and general confusion, because you had no clue what skills values really meant and how they benefited your character. Do you increase your key skills by 3-4 point? Does it matter? Do you get your best skill to the nearest ten?

We tried to make each investment useful by going with checks like 34, 37, 39, etc, but somehow it created even more uncertainty. In comparison, 1-10 is a lot more straightforward. Everything else stays the same: you get the same SP for quests and use them to buy skill ranks (similar to Bloodlines). We've already had different 'SP to skill values' conversation rates for higher skills, so the change is mostly cosmetic (so don't freak out) and is about how we present you the information necessary to make decisions.

All skills start at 1 and then each next level costs more skill points: 5-10-15-20-25-30-35-40-45, which brings the total costs to 5-15-30-50-75-105-140-180-225.

Also, your character's 'power level' wasn't clear. What did 50 points in Swords make you? A good swordsman? Average? So, each skill level would have a corresponding label:

1 - Unskilled
2 - Novice
3 - Apprentice
4 - Skilled
5 - Proficient
6 - Journeyman
7 - Adept
8 - Expert
9 - Master
10 - Grand Master

If you don't like some titles and have better suggestions, by all means...

We also want to add some descriptions indicating your proficiency level. Since I'm busy with other things, I'd really appreciate some help to speed things up a bit. I'm not even sure which direction we should take, so your opinions are welcome. I did a few skills (first draft just to see how it looks and yes, some lines suck, as expected):

Swords:

1. You’re fairly certain that you stab them with the pointy end.
2. You’ve added hacking and slashing to your repertoire.
3. You’re discovered that swinging your sword wildly will only get you so far.
4. You’ve learned to hit targets. Most of the time. If they don’t move.
5. You’re getting the hang of it. Keep it up and you might become a competent swordsman one day.
6. Better than average. And still alive. Better drink to that because the ‘still alive’ part might change without notice.
7. You’re good with a sword. A lot of men died to make this dream a reality.
8. Few men are as good as you are.
9. When you carry a blade, you fear neither men nor demons.
10. Come and get some!

Lore
1. You can write your own name.
2. You like looking through scrolls, especially the ones with drawings.
3. You’re learned a few things here and there.
4. You’ve realized that knowledge is power. Your enthusiasm for learning has never been greater.
5. You are not quite a gentleman, but you’re definitely a scholar.
6. You’ve learned much about the past and what you’ve learned drives you to seek more.
7. You’re a linguist, historian, forger, and repairman. In short, you’re a loremaster.
8. You’ve learned much, from steamworks to magick obscura
9. You know … everything.
10. You’re wiser than men who think that they know everything, for you realize that you know nothing.

Persuasion:

1. You're able to communicate with other primates.
2. You’ve discovered that the primates respond better to well-chosen words.
3. You've learned to string words together for greater oratory effect.
4. You're learned how to convince those who want to believe you.
5. You’ve realized that Old Man Aesop was right: persuasion IS more effective than brute force.
6. You’ve learned how to win friends and influence people.
7. You’ve realized that persuasion is merely a prerequisite to manipulation.
8. You will make a great ‘used carts’ salesman.
9. People are an open book to you and you can talk them into just about anything.
10. Your ability to influence minds is uncanny. Keep it up and they will burn you for witchcraft.

Streetwise:

1. You're able to communicate with other primates.
2. You’ve discovered that the primates respond better to well-chosen words.
3. You've learned to string words together for greater oratory effect.
4. You're learned that it’s easy to fool someone who believes everything you say.
5. You’ve discovered that people respond best to lies they want to hear.
6. You’ve learned to play on people’s fears, honor, ambitions, beliefs, and other useful qualities.
7. It’s not a lie if you believe it.
8. Some people turn water into wine, you turn lies into truth. Arguably, yours is a more useful talent.
9. You will make a great ‘used carts’ salesman.
10. Your ability to manipulate people is uncanny. Keep it up and they will burn you for witchcraft.

Dodge

1. Being hit sucks. You’re positive about that.
2. If only there was a way to avoid being hit…
3. You’ve made an important discovery – moving out of harm’s way in a timely manner does wonders for one’ life expectancy.
4. Practice - if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a bolt!
5. Half-way there.
6. Your dedication to the art of dodging is paying off – you’re still alive.
7. You’ve gained the much covered ‘hard to hit’ status.
8. You flow like water and bend like a reed.
9. You should open your own kung-fu school when you retire from adventuring.
10. Untouchable (fine print: some exceptions apply)

Thoughts? Help?

1-10 skill system -> :love:

Helton

Arcane
Do the skill-point totals come out the same? IE to max a skill? Or does it take more or less?

Also, I can see this working really nicely, more symmetry with ability system... I am curious how it affects combat, where granular effects make more sense and more difference. (ie, I am eager to play)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Here is what we have right now: avg starting value: 20-25; 1 point till 50, 2 points from 51 to 70, 3 points from 71 to 90, 4 points from 91 to 100, so overall, you have to spend 25+40+60+40=165 (unless I missed something). I too had concerns about combat but it works very well so far.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
They are synonyms, but proficient is described as 'fully competent', 'one who has made considerable advances', 'an expert', whereas skilled as 'having familiar knowledge', 'trained or experienced'.

Monty

Arcane
They are synonyms, but proficient is described as 'fully competent', 'one who has made considerable advances', 'an expert', whereas skilled as 'having familiar knowledge', 'trained or experienced'.
Ah, ok. I always interpreted proficient as having just the basic level of skill, but this is possibly influenced by the games I've played - and as you say they are synonyms and are only one point apart anyway.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
BTW, those lore descriptions :love:

I don't know if anyone will care, but professional sports in the US has a different connotation to journeyman than the actual definition (basically and old guy who's been around the block, and is competent, but not good). This could lead to some confusion, but I don't think it's a big deal since you'll see the number going up anyways.

the grim one

Novice
i like the changes. found the skills levels really unintuitive before. didn't even know what the cap was (i admit i didn't bother looking too much).

as for the level descriptions, i found them hilarious. me likes this even more than the 100 -> 10 shift.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom