Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD recieves undue praise and favouritism from the Codex

Deleted Member 22431

Yes, AoD is shit because it is chargen railroad. It is boring to play.
According to you.

Build doesn't matter unless you are metagaming.
This is false. You only need to try again to achieve very specific achievements and secret locations. Of course, if you are a spoiled completionist player, that feeling of hitting a wall huts. But to suggest that the main quest of the factions require reloading is absurd. Unless you choose a retard build, you will succeed.

There is no relevant choice because most of them are just I WIN skill checks button.
Read “actual choices in cRPG shouldn’t be governed by skills”. That’s impossible to defend.

You can't build hybrid without prior knowledge. It has decently realized world made for skill check autists.
In their new game most builds are hybrid. I bet people like you will bitch all the same because all your complains are red herrings to cover an ugly truth: you don’t like an unforgiving world.

A choice is only a choice if it gives a meaningful outcome. When all of your choices devolves into 1. DIe 2. Pass a skill check to continue it is not a choice. It might be a novel concept for the first 6 hours but yes, it gets boring.
So the quests that rely on text-adventures checks are boring. So you probably think that classics like Darklands and King of the Dragon Pass are boring. You uneducated moron.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Guess what? King of Dragon Pass is not sold as CRPG. It is a text adventure game. I play it as what it is.

People have been saying that AoD is CYOA, and yes it will be better suited as one. Remove the smoke and mirror RPG progression. Put some arbitrary point in the background based on your previous choices. Voila, perhaps a better game and a more honest game. Instead of pretending to be what it is not.

Btw King Dragon Pass choices are not binary pass/not skill checks failure spiral like AoD, at least not from I remember.

This is false. You only need to try again to achieve very specific achievements and secret locations. Of course, if you are a spoiled completionist player, that feeling of hitting a wall huts. But to suggest that the main quest of the factions require reloading is absurd. Unless you choose a retard build, you will succeed.

This is false. AoD for most of the early to mid-late game is designed around choices tied to build. You can choose choices designed for other builds. It is called jumping to a speeding train. It is novel at first few hours. Heck maybe it will be interesting fromt imes to times. But when the game is designed around that? Not so much. Can you as Charisma-based character choose the Stealth option? In a blind playthrough? Not unless you lucked out or you have precise knowledge on when that checks happen and how to distribute your skill points before that point in a way that allows you continuing riding your railroad while raising secondary attributes/skills.

At one point when you are high enough in your main build and your secondary skills are shaping up, yes you actually have an actual choice. But as I pointed out in my first post, it happens way in the mid-late game. 80% of the game is railroad in a blind playthorugh.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
but the way it is structured and presented is different from most RPGs, which irritates some people due to unfamiliarity and a perceived lack of freedom.

Comparisons between the structure of an AoD quest and a quest in any other RPG show what the difference is, and it's not harshness or lack of options, it's mainly in presentation of those options.
In other words, some cRPG players were spoiled by other developers and can’t deal with the pushback of the game world. This “presentation” statement speaks volumes. The criticisms come from players who don’t want an unforgiving world and the possibility of failure at every turn. They want an egotistical theme park where they can tell who is the boss.

What the fuck does my presentation statement have to do with being against an unforgiving world and the possibility of failure?
If sneak is a skill you use actively rather than just a dialog option with skill check, is the chance of failure lower? No, it can even be higher since it's not a one-time thing but something you have to look out for constantly (you passed the guard on patrol the first time, but have to be quick enough in lockpicking the backdoor because if you take too long he returns and could spot you). Underrail had a very advanced stealth system, for example, that took light and shadow and line of sight into consideration, but it was only easy when you maxed your stealth skill and you could often screw up and end up in combat even though you wanted to avoid it, all because of a misstep.

In my examples, you would have similar or the same options, and they'd be just as skill dependent as in AoD. Wanna lockpick the door? You need a high lockpick skill. Some games even prevent you from trying lockpick on a door too many times by jamming it after failure. Too bad, you failed, better find another way.

I don't get your mental jump from how a more interactive structure automatically leads to less failure or a higher degree of forgiveness. How does it turn into an "egoistical theme park" when the way you interface with the world comes through actively clicking on things and using a Fallout-like skilldex instead of picking options from a dialog window? How is the one more or less forgiving than the other if the mechanics are the exact same?

You can pick between 3 possible approaches.
Or you can climb the walls and enter though the window, thus presenting a different scenario. Of course, you didn’t know that because the game will only highlight the available choices according to your available build. The fact that you are confident that these are the only choices betrays a superficial understanding of the game. And this can be said about the whole game. If you think this about this quest, you think the same thing about the whole game, which suggests you ignored half the content, if not more.

I was just using a simple example, rather than accurately listing every option from an AoD quest from memory. It's been over a year since I last replayed AoD so forgive me if I don't remember every option by heart.
And you're missing the point. I could have listed half a dozen more options, yes, but the point of the comparison was just an illustration of how AoD differs in structure from other RPGs, not to accurately quote an entire AoD quest.

AoD = here's a list of options; pick one
other games = click on stuff to interact with it

Other RPG gives you the same quest.
Which cRPGs? Most cRPGs are pretty linear. Even games of which you are fond of, such as Arcanum, are 90% linear. It seems you are indulging in a fantasy of the perfect game where developers have infinite resources and can implement all kinds of systems to please players. Besides, if you take the most reactive game you can think of and do things the way you consider interesting, they will not implement 10% of the number of choices AoD provides because it is too time-consuming. And even if they did that, players would bitch all the same if the stat and skill checks were unforgiving as they are in AoD.

Just because we don't have many (or any?) RPGs that do it perfectly doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to get them. Isn't the Codex all about pursuing perfection rather than accepting design flaws as a necessity?

Funnily enough implementing options systemically is easier than implementing them as individual checks every time. Once you have, say, a climbing system integrated into the game you just have to construct level geometry in a way that allows for climbing at certain places and you're good. No need to script anything. Thief's rope arrows are a great example. Wanna allow the player to enter the manor through the balcony? Make the balcony wooden, which allows rope arrows to stick in it, then an observant player can shoot such an arrow into the balcony, pass a climbing check (if he fails he falls down, receiving damage and alerting the guards - again, something that can easily be coded systemically) and get in. Now you can use variations of this approach at every single location and in every single quest in your game if you want to.

Sure, that takes more programming time to implement the systems, but once the systems are in, adding content that makes use of them is incredibly easy. Yeah, AoD was a game made by a small team on a small budget and they switched engines at some point in development and they didn't have much experience yet etc etc, there are many reasons why AoD didn't go for a more systemic approach. But that doesn't mean a more systemic approach is unfeasible, especially in today's day and age where fancy engines with easily implementable physics systems are readily available for anyone.

Tldr;
  1. You are pretending that we have plenty of cRPGs with reactive quests. This is false.
  2. The few cRPGs who do implement this kind of quests don’t provide one-tenth of the choices that AoD provides.
  3. Even in such specific cases, players don’t want harsh stat and skill checks. So even if ITS had infinite resources to avoid text-adventure quests, players like you would still bitch and complain because you don’t like harsh stat and skill checks.

"Players like me", huh? I have repeatedly stated that I enjoy playing through AoD and have re-played it multiple times. And yet whenever I (or other people) lever legitimate criticisms towards it, you blame "not liking harsh stat and skill checks" as the reason for our criticisms, which is simply not true. Nowhere in my post have I complained about the difficulty or the harshness of the checks or the consequences of failure. It's as if you're intentionally misinterpreting everything you read just so you can deflect all criticisms as "you guys just don't like it when the game is harsh on you."

Black Angel

Arcane
Teleportation is the single greatest thing AoD invited upon cRPG genre. It's thanks to solely that that I actually replayed the game so many times I completely lose count. If not for my laptop which made it not possible to play it at a comfortable framerate, I would be playing it right now, trying out different weapon-defense-noncombat skill combination and letting my own hands and choices of allocating the skill points guide me through a playthrough.
If you want a proper comparison, just consider how tedious it is trying to do another FO:NV playthrough. You have a gigantic sandbox world, an ungodly amount of main quests, etc.
I always compare it to every other RPGs I've played. Just take a look at Underrail, sort of a 'brother from another father' because both were released at the same year. In the nearing 600 hours of Steam logged playtime of Underrail, I've only finished it 3(!) times, with one abandoned playthrough and one ongoing playthrough. Meanwhile, in a little less than 300 hours of AoD I've lost count of how many times I've played it.

Similarly, because of how bloated it is I've only played and finished Fallout: Nevada TC mod once. Meanwhile, because of how tighter and smaller it is, and how much closer it is to Fallout 1's scope rather than Fallout 2, I've also lost count of how many times I've replayed Fallout 1.5: Resurrection.

This is just me, though. I tend to get overwhelmed by the amount of content there is when it comes to lengthy games.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Teleportation is the single greatest thing AoD invited upon cRPG genre. It's thanks to solely that that I actually replayed the game so many times I completely lose count. If not for my laptop which made it not possible to play it at a comfortable framerate, I would be playing it right now, trying out different weapon-defense-noncombat skill combination and letting my own hands and choices of allocating the skill points guide me through a playthrough.
If you want a proper comparison, just consider how tedious it is trying to do another FO:NV playthrough. You have a gigantic sandbox world, an ungodly amount of main quests, etc.
I always compare it to every other RPGs I've played. Just take a look at Underrail, sort of a 'brother from another father' because both were released at the same year. In the nearing 600 hours of Steam logged playtime of Underrail, I've only finished it 3(!) times, with one abandoned playthrough and one ongoing playthrough. Meanwhile, in a little less than 300 hours of AoD I've lost count of how many times I've played it.

Similarly, because of how bloated it is I've only played and finished Fallout: Nevada TC mod once. Meanwhile, because of how tighter and smaller it is, and how much closer it is to Fallout 1's scope rather than Fallout 2, I've also lost count of how many times I've replayed Fallout 1.5: Resurrection.

This is just me, though. I tend to get overwhelmed by the amount of content there is when it comes to lengthy games.

I have to agree with this. A single playthrough in AoD is short enough that you can easily jump in and do another. It's not bogged down by filler and you won't have to repeat the same content over and over when you re-play it.

That's one of the best things about the game. It lends itself incredibly well to replays because it's not bogged down by unengaging filler content.

Deleted Member 22431

I have to agree with this. A single playthrough in AoD is short enough that you can easily jump in and do another. It's not bogged down by filler and you won't have to repeat the same content over and over when you re-play it.

That's one of the best things about the game. It lends itself incredibly well to replays because it's not bogged down by unengaging filler content.
And you can always increase the length if you so choose by engaging in more combat.

Silly Germans

It is a good niche title but i wouldn't give it an unconditional recommendation.
I think i managed to beat it after 3 or 4 tries as merchant. It requires extreme
specialization or being "smart" with skill allocation.
The gameplay outside of combat is pretty much the embodiment of trial and error,
which is typically solved by meta-gaming or looking up the solution.

Being unforgiving is not a problem as long as the player can know what went wrong
and how he can improve/change the situation. But if i recall correctly that isn't the case
here. You often have no clue what you are doing wrong and all that is left is trial and error.

It has the large variety of outcomes and branched options going for it but at the same
time it requires either trial and error or meta gaming to gain access to them. So if you
don't like trial and error and/or meta-gaming it can be a bad experience. You can be lucky
with your allocation and have fun but that is not a given. It does benefit from being a short
game, not overstaying its welcome.

Saduj

Arcane
This is what I consider a false choice. The choice of betraying someone in AoD is jumping to a speeding truck. It is a choice. But it really isn't.

That's demonstrably false. You can fail or betray a faction early game and still land on your feat with another faction. For many characters, that might mean you just end up working for Gaelius but that isn't the only option for some characters.

And there are choices you can make within your chosen faction's story line late game that matter and don't turn out horrible for your character.

If you fail/betray during the mid to late game you are likely to be locked out of joining other factions because they hate you by that point in the game. You can still finish side content and the main quest. The 2nd "C" in s C&C is "consequences" so expecting every faction in the game to welcome you with open arms as a prominent traitor from another faction isn't exactly the most sensible expectation. Makes more sense that it is easier to jump factions as an unknown.

I agree with you that without meta knowledge, it is very hard to succeed with most factions without save scumming. And sticking with your faction offers the most interesting content. But to say there aren't other viable options is objectively false. It is just that if you fail every time or make the same choice to betray your faction every time, you are going to see the same alternatives. But I don't see how a person can repetitively betray their factions and then complain about repetitiveness so I don't see that as a failure in the game's design.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I don't want skills at all.

No RPG has ever done anything worthwhile with a skill system.

What makes AoD's design especially putrid is that they condensed character progression completely into the skill system. The whole gameplay is about hunting for skill points. So they took an ancillary and the worst implemented system of cRPGs and made it primary.
What makes some cRPG players especially putrid is that they hate cRPGs, want to play shooters, but at the same time are too incompetent to play real shooters. So they want cRPG developers to corrupt the whole medium and turn them into some form of inferior popamole shooter to fit their special "needs". In their distorted eyes, everything that makes a cRPG work is bad, because they hate cRPGs. But they won't say that in the open. They will invert the values and pretend that cRPGs were never about character building in the first place. It is an insidious and deranged form of decline if you ask me.
BG2 did just fine without a skill system.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I don't want skills at all.

No RPG has ever done anything worthwhile with a skill system.

What makes AoD's design especially putrid is that they condensed character progression completely into the skill system. The whole gameplay is about hunting for skill points. So they took an ancillary and the worst implemented system of cRPGs and made it primary.
What makes some cRPG players especially putrid is that they hate cRPGs, want to play shooters, but at the same time are too incompetent to play real shooters. So they want cRPG developers to corrupt the whole medium and turn them into some form of inferior popamole shooter to fit their special "needs". In their distorted eyes, everything that makes a cRPG work is bad, because they hate cRPGs. But they won't say that in the open. They will invert the values and pretend that cRPGs were never about character building in the first place. It is an insidious and deranged form of decline if you ask me.
BG2 did just fine without a skill system.
Tell that to thieves.

Deleted Member 22431

The criticisms in this thread:
  1. Text-adventures suck. This is CYOA stuff.
  2. Gameplay shouldn’t be governed by stats and skills;
  3. Harsh stat/skill checks and gated content suck;
  4. The developer has weird ideas about things (e.g., what should be involved in an assassin’s job) and because of that I can make bad build choices;
  5. You have to reload a lot to succeed in your first playthroughs, thus you end up hoarding SPs;
(1) is a matter of personal preference;
(2) and (3) seem to go against the very nature of cRPGs, and it is probably motivated by other developers not doing their jobs properly;
(4) is debatable, and even if it was true, it is not enough to prevent you from moving forward;
(5) is not only false, but it is also a dishonest caricature. It only applies if you want to discover the maximum amount of content in one playthrough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 22431

If I had the magical option of reducing the CYOA sequences in the game, but adding a few more reactive quests by traditional means I would say no, because having more narrative impact is more important than moving my character around and clicking on things.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
aod.jpg

Deleted Member 22431

Underrail had a very advanced stealth system, for example, that took light and shadow and line of sight into consideration, but it was only easy when you maxed your stealth skill and you could often screw up and end up in combat even though you wanted to avoid it, all because of a misstep.

In my examples, you would have similar or the same options, and they'd be just as skill dependent as in AoD. Wanna lockpick the door? You need a high lockpick skill. Some games even prevent you from trying lockpick on a door too many times by jamming it after failure. Too bad, you failed, better find another way.
I’m also a fan of Underrail, but the detail you are ignoring in your argument is that these choices will affect your whole design completely. For instance, if you want to implement traditional lockpicking, you will need tons of locked safes, cases, doors, etc., which means you will need a big world to explore, etc. So by implementing one single skill in a way that fits the traditional model you imposed a heavy burden on the developers’ shoulders. Moreover, by insisting that this is essential and should be in the game, you are unconsciously suggesting that narrative impact has less importance. Not only that, but the developer will also have to include a bunch of trash mobs so that the player can evolve and earn more SPs, etc, etc. So it is not an inconsequential feature without compromises. The whole design should revolve around this and the other features you decide to implement. From a certain point in the game, I started ignoring these lockpick checks, because I was bored of doing the same fucking thing for a thousand time. It is not enough that every cRPG copied this feature, you have hundreds of these things inside the game, and 99% of them have nothing of value. Is that good? Why, exactly? Because of cargo cult?

I don't get your mental jump from how a more interactive structure automatically leads to less failure or a higher degree of forgiveness. How does it turn into an "egoistical theme park" when the way you interface with the world comes through actively clicking on things and using a Fallout-like skilldex instead of picking options from a dialog window? How is the one more or less forgiving than the other if the mechanics are the exact same?.

Let’s take Underrail for example. You can walk around in a giant world, kill one thousand weak creatures, become an ultra-powerful hybrid character that destroys everything that gets in your path. So any skill check you encounter will be either piss easy or inconsequential to the meat of the gameplay, which consists of walking around, doing FedEx quests, killing creatures and opening locks. This design has plenty of limitations and you think it is beyond reproach and self-evident.

AoD = here's a list of options; pick one

other games = click on stuff to interact with it
Here is a list of places with things to click on and interact with:

The Temple (slums)

The well (slums)

Library of Saross

The Smelter (Teron)

Interior Chamber (Monastery)

Darius' Tomb

Zamedi

Hellgate

These are just from the top of my head. There are countless others even if we discard the text-adventure interactions. So yeah, this is a caricature.

Sure, that takes more programming time to implement the systems, but once the systems are in, adding content that makes use of them is incredibly easy.
In other words, you have to throw logic out of the window and make a game world that looks like a toy so that the player can always have a use for his specific build. The game world loses narrative strength and becomes just like any other generic game world.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
If I had the magical option of reducing the CYOA sequences in the game, but adding a few more reactive quests by traditional means I would say no, because having more narrative impact is more important than moving my character around and clicking on things.

And now we're in the realm of taste rather than objective fact, as you yourself said: liking CYOA is a matter of personal preference;

If people don't like the approach, they don't like the approach.

It has nothing to do with hating skills or hating the harsh reactions of the world. It has everything to do with not vibing with AoD's structure.

I enjoyed AoD and appreciate it as an experiment in RPG structure. It is certainly different from anything else out there. I will replay it again one day since I haven't gone through every path yet. But there are people who don't vibe with AoD's structure, and that's completely fine and has nothing to do with being too casual for the game.

Deleted Member 22431

And now we're in the realm of taste rather than objective fact, as you yourself said: liking CYOA is a matter of personal preference;

If people don't like the approach, they don't like the approach.

It has nothing to do with hating skills or hating the harsh reactions of the world. It has everything to do with not vibing with AoD's structure.
It has everything to do with the harsh game world because Darklands and King of the Dragon Pass are pure text-adventure based and players don't have these reactions.

Tigranes

Arcane
I was not railroaded because I had the option to almost constantly betray someone when my skills were insufficient to convince someone of some thing or another (or fight my way through something).

This is what I consider a false choice. The choice of betraying someone in AoD is jumping to a speeding truck. It is a choice. But it really isn't.

Did you ever try it and see how it goes? Because, uh.

Saduj

Arcane
(5) is not only false, but it is also a dishonest caricature. It only applies if you want to discover the maximum amount of content in one playthrough.

I'm assuming you rated my post fake news because I was positive about the game but mentioned that skillpoint hoarding is a thing if you want to succeed with most factions. The game doesn't provide any feedback or information that is going to tell you which skills are going to be important and going with a general character concept easily leads to having the wrong allocation. The likeliness of just guessing right is very low. Anyone who tells you they succeeded the first time they tried to finish the Thieve's Guild questline without reloading is full of shit, just to mention the most egregious example.

Still a great game, I don't know why you have to go full fanboy and destroy your credibility by trying to portray it as perfect.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
For instance, if you want to implement traditional lockpicking, you will need tons of locked safes, cases, doors, etc., which means you will need a big world to explore, etc.

Why?

So by implementing one single skill in a way that fits the traditional model you imposed a heavy burden on the developers’ shoulders. Moreover, by insisting that this is essential and should be in the game, you are unconsciously suggesting that narrative impact has less importance.

Where did I imply that? Also, AoD has traditional lockpicking and a couple of chests in inns you can plunder with a high enough lockpick skill. AoD includes the very thing you claim would force the devs to include 1000 locked chests in the world. Therefore your argument is invalid.

Not only that, but the developer will also have to include a bunch of trash mobs so that the player can evolve and earn more SPs, etc, etc.

Again, why?

So it is not an inconsequential feature without compromises. The whole design should revolve around this and the other features you decide to implement. From a certain point in the game, I started ignoring these lockpick checks, because I was bored of doing the same fucking thing for a thousand time. It is not enough that every cRPG copied this feature, you have hundreds of these things inside the game, and 99% of them have nothing of value. Is that good? Why, exactly? Because of cargo cult?

The only one cargo culting here is you, because you assume that if a game has a certain quest structure, it also requires a load of other baggage which doesn't contribute anything to the game.

You're allowed to explore quest locations at your own pace and interact with the environment - this means that the game requires 1000 locked chests filled with trash loot, and a bunch of trash mobs too. Excuse me but what the fuck? How does one necessitate the other? There is literally zero correlation between the two features. Just because a skill exists doesn't mean it has to be used 6 million times in the game. It's okay when some skills are less useful than others.

You are jumping to weird conclusions that a game with traditional RPG gameplay also has to have filler content. I have no idea where that perception is coming from. Fallout 1 has a traditional CRPG structure but barely any filler content. It's as short as an AoD playthrough and apart from some optional side quests and random encounters on the map, there are no filler trash mobs to wade through. Main quest related combats are tough and optional and you can skip a lot of the content if you know what you're doing.

Sure, that takes more programming time to implement the systems, but once the systems are in, adding content that makes use of them is incredibly easy.
In other words, you have to throw logic out of the window and make a game world that looks like a toy so that the player can always have a use for his specific build. The game world loses narrative strength and becomes just like any other generic game world.

Again, why? The example I used for a good system that makes for lots of exploration is Thief's rope arrows. They can be shot into wooden surfaces (or wallpaper and vegetation - there are a bunch of material groups arrows can attach to), and then you can climb up the rope. Those surfaces are placed naturally around the levels. The original Thief games don't even have that many areas where you can use rope arrows effectively, it's the recent fan missions that have turned rope arrow usage into an art. And it never feels artificial or "done so the player has a toy to play around with". You see an open window with a wooden windowsill? Shoot a rope arrow into the windowsill and climb up. But in an underground crypt built entirely of stone, there are exactly zero places where you can use rope arrows. Fun how that works, huh? The mechanic is there (arrows stick in wood) and leads to natural opportunities for the player to use a special item/ability that arise from the level architecture itself.

It only becomes artificial when you force yourself to make it so. "Oh my, I haven't put an alternate route into this location that can be accessed with rope arrows!" Who gives a shit? Just because a feature exists doesn't mean it has to be applicable to each and every quest/dungeon/level in the game. Morrowind has a levitation spell, but does that mean every single dungeon in the game is vertical as fuck and requires levitation to get through? No, there are only a handful that require it. And characters who don't have the spell won't be able to access some areas. Tough luck.

I don't know where your belief is coming from that if a systemic option to tackle problems exists, every single problem in the game needs to be solvable with that option. I didn't claim this anywhere in this thread, and there are plenty of games that prove it doesn't have to be so.

Drowed

Arcane
We've had these discussions about AOD so many times it's funny. One day we'll switch from "what's an RPG" to "what do you think of AOD", discuss. :lol:

The truth is that people will need to agree to disagree, because in most cases, when we talk about linearity, people are using different definitions for the same word. That's why any debate on the subject gets nowhere. That is, other than the issue that different people like different characteristics in their games. It is the difference between the freedom to "fulfill a quest in different (described/written) ways within a narrative", or to "fulfill a quest in the same way but using different mechanics". But I don't believe there's much purpose in criticizing AOD for the second case because it never even tried to be that kind of game. AOD seems a perfect match for the use of the phrase: it's good for what it is. Because yeah, it's a really good game - if you expect a very specific kind of experience from it.

If you want to call it an RPG, CYOA or whatever else, that's fine. I know that personally, I have much more fun being able to use 'steal' on any NPCs in a game, than just having an X number of specific NPCs where I can use my skill because the game decided that only on those NPCs it could be used, inside a dialog box. But that doesn't make the game bad, it just makes it not entirely my taste. Even if I did like it quite a lot in the end.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
We've had these discussions about AOD so many times it's funny. One day we'll switch from "what's an RPG" to "what do you think of AOD", discuss. :lol:

The truth is that people will need to agree to disagree, because in most cases, when we talk about linearity, people are using different definitions for the same word. That's why any debate on the subject gets nowhere. That is, other than the issue that different people like different characteristics in their games. It is the difference between the freedom to "fulfill a quest in different (described/written) ways within a narrative", or to "fulfill a quest in the same way but using different mechanics". But I don't believe there's much purpose in criticizing AOD for the second case because it never even tried to be that kind of game. AOD seems a perfect match for the use of the phrase: it's good for what it is. Because yeah, it's a really good game - if you expect a very specific kind of experience from it.

If you want to call it an RPG, CYOA or whatever else, that's fine. I know that personally, I have much more fun being able to use 'steal' on any NPCs in a game, than just having an X number of specific NPCs where I can use my skill because the game decided that only on those NPCs it could be used, inside a dialog box. But that doesn't make the game bad, it just makes it not my taste. Even if I did like it quite a lot in the end.
When we finally get DU to close the borders and require citizenship tests, those will be 2 of the first questions required.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom