Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Archaelund: RPG that combines 1st-person exploration with 3rd-person TB combat - now available on Early Access

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
DavidBVal WHAT THE FUCK DUDE.
View attachment 45410

WHADDAYA MEAN CAN'T BE HUMAN? HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO PLAY THIS?
Faber est quisque fortunae suae.
Or not.
I don't want a career as goddamn architect goddammit.
Maybe you earn your dirty loincloth and club after trying to calculate structural shear or maximum brutalist oppression, or whatever it is that architects do?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
View attachment 45410

Faber est quisque fortunae suae.
Or not.
I don't want a career as goddamn architect goddammit.
Maybe you earn your dirty loincloth and club after trying to calculate structural shear or maximum brutalist oppression, or whatever it is that architects do?
Best architects can do is invade Russia in winter.

agris

Arcane
Patron
looks really cool, i'm tempted to buy now to support david.

quick notes from the video:

• minotaur's default pose is weird, looks like he isn't making contact with the ground
  • players expect to be able to equip items directly from the "party inventory" and not have to put them in their individual inventory first
  • any screen with a "take all" option should have the button next to the "ok" button, the OK button should be re-labelled "exit", take all should be mapped to a hotkey, and once you take all the screen should close (mix of QoL and to help new players not exit the loot screen without looting, like that degenerate streamer above did repeatedly)
  • it isn't clear if ranged (bow) attacks are using LoS or not
  • character AP should show current/total rather than just current
  • actions on the hotbar should have the AP and MP cost directly on the icon, green text for AP and blue for MP?
  • the "You gained a skin flute!" messages shouldn't print in the middle of the screen, leave them off to the side or better yet let us disable them
  • the combat log needs tabs to filter different types of messages

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So where are the Gnomes?

There aren't any. In this setting at least things are a bit more refreshing and different (no Gnomes and Dwarves, or fucking Elves). Sorry.
Then who am I supposed to fuck?
Minotaurs?

Tbf the horny level of this game is thankfully low. I encountered a greenskin chick with sideboob on display who seemed down (she was playing a little hard to get), and there was a female dockhand who, I'm speculating, would be a handful in the sack. Mostly it's examining uncanny NPC faces and trying to figure out if they're supposed to be hot. But there are no actual sexcapades, no romancing, no cringey softcore cutscenes, and no sleazy bearfucks and NO GAY SHIT.
Clearly he needs to bring in Tyranicon to consult

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Hmmm... first page says early access but that was all the way back in 2019 it so it must be out... oh wait it's actually still in early access. These accesses are waaaaay too early nowadays. Guess I'll see you guys in 2039 when the game comes out if we're even still using computers then, because at that point we could be plugging our brains directly into the cyber realm.
Wasn't the OP just updated to reflect the EA release?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Just got this. Not very far at all. Is there a way to position your party before combat (not formation, like the actual squares they start at)?

Also, I find it weird that you can't equip things straight from the inventory, it seems you have to put it in a characters pack first and then equip it?

Liking everything else though. Even the traditional mutual miss-fest that is the first combat encounter.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just got this. Not very far at all. Is there a way to position your party before combat (not formation, like the actual squares they start at)?

Also, I find it weird that you can equip things straight from the inventory, it seems you have to put it in a characters pack first and then equip it?

Liking everything else though. Even the traditional mutual miss-fest that is the first combat encounter.
The group icon to the left when pressing tab (I think it is), but you can only place order of characters as far as I know, not formation.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Also, I find it weird that you can equip things straight from the inventory, it seems you have to put it in a characters pack first and then equip it?

The group icon to the left when pressing tab (I think it is), but you can only place order of characters as far as I know, not formation.

Oh yeah, I meant like choosing what squares they start on the battlemap.

Also two thoughts:

1. Low-level fish have more health than my so-called "adventurers" lol.

2. The first encounters are a little too much of a miss-fest. I'd rather they be deadlier than wait 10-minutes at a time watching things miss.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
View attachment 45410

Varannari

d706279df3667e4a24c123d6a87c2cd4e16a7b7f.png
937348606452044b2f9ef67e6ff5f6a6f6399573.png

Tall and athletic natives from the primeval forests of Varannar are easily recognizable by their green skin and strong, long limbs. Varannari are brave, likeable and loyal, but prideful and temperamental.

In Archaelund:
some Varannari were brought to Archaelund by the Mercians as slaves, but escaped into the forests to form nomadic clans and live once more according to their ancient ways. Most of them, however, are part of human society and have come as colonists or adventurers.
Trait bonuses: +1 Strength, +1 Endurance
Trait penalties: -1 Intellect, -1 Self-Control
Special abilities: Varannari gain a +15 bonus to the Survival and Athletic skills.

Enjoy your green skin. :M

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
View attachment 45410

Varannari

d706279df3667e4a24c123d6a87c2cd4e16a7b7f.png
937348606452044b2f9ef67e6ff5f6a6f6399573.png

Tall and athletic natives from the primeval forests of Varannar are easily recognizable by their green skin and strong, long limbs. Varannari are brave, likeable and loyal, but prideful and temperamental.

In Archaelund:
some Varannari were brought to Archaelund by the Mercians as slaves, but escaped into the forests to form nomadic clans and live once more according to their ancient ways. Most of them, however, are part of human society and have come as colonists or adventurers.
Trait bonuses: +1 Strength, +1 Endurance
Trait penalties: -1 Intellect, -1 Self-Control
Special abilities: Varannari gain a +15 bonus to the Survival and Athletic skills.

Enjoy your green skin. :M
Humie or bust.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
It's been a really long time since I felt like someone built the kind of game I really love. But, holy crap, I think this could be it. It's like if someone took games like Might & Magic and Wizardry and then mashed it together with a Gold-Box combat engine.

I didn't want to quit the session I was in, I wanted to play all night, but my party got brutally murdered in a combat. Totally worth it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The real question ERYFKRAD should be asking DavidBVal is what is this?!

1704857339564.png

Straight up the first equipment you get for a fighter is this setup you can find on the beach. And the pose!

Very :obviously: :obviously:

Dude should be packing more in those briefs though, I mean come on there's nothing there.

Sloul

Savant
Played about 12 hours, had to stop because a spell got reworked, and it completely screwed my party (well really, it was a core spell for me, so once it was poof, the whole party felt naked).
That's to tell it's early in its early access phase and should be played as a sort of alpha-test demo.
And that's a good thing because it put me on stop, and otherwise I would have devoured every inch of this EA and possibly killing the fun of discovering the full game at its release.

That's certainly a heavy hitter and the kind of game that I put way above all the nonsense that gets released these days. Archolos is the last thing I played that sucked me like that.
I don't have the same taste than most codexers when it comes to writing but here I would say that it's serviceable. And exploring/adventuring and interacting with the world is actually where the game is at.
I didn't find anything in the game that took me off guard, no specific mechanic that I found particularly impressive, nothing that made me wow; but I found something that I could play on and on and where time becomes abstract.

My favorite parts were:
- its party creation (while I still hope for some improvement), because there are a ton of options and you're faced with some tough choices.
- exporing its world in first-person view while combat are top down and per-turn, i don't know if it sounds gimmicky for some, but it's one of the best feature of the game.
- and just the whole pack of adventuring: exploring a world, skillchecks at every turns, finding hidden objects or rooms, evading from tough opponents, paying attention to rations...

Modron

Arcane
exporing its world in first-person view while combat are top down and per-turn, i don't know if it sounds gimmicky for some, but it's one of the best feature of the game.
Shouldn't sound gimmicky to anyone who played an RoA game.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
My favorite parts were:
- its party creation (while I still hope for some improvement), because there are a ton of options and you're faced with some tough choices.
- exporing its world in first-person view while combat are top down and per-turn, i don't know if it sounds gimmicky for some, but it's one of the best feature of the game.
Yeah so far the game feels more like a refreshing and solid oldschool experience than a big innovator. That said, rehabbing the 1st+3rd person combo, which to my knowledge has not been tried in years, is if not an innovation at least a bold move. And when the level cap is raised I predict the class, leveling and progression system will receive some kudos for originality. I base that off my experience in Exiled Kingdoms. It's hard to articulate (and doesn't help that I haven't played EK in years) but this dev knows how to make a system that's coherent, flexible, and deceptively deep.

Another facet that isn't very available yet, but I predict will end up unusually rich, is the faction system.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Bought it.

I was very hyped to play but a lot of stuff isn't in yet. Will wait a while.

first thing you might want to fix is tooltips actually showing up somewhere in the middle of the screen, rather than at the very bottom so the text is cut off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom