Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Archquest Arena - tactical RPG with tabletop rules

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Character creation with Race-as-a-class
Turn based combat system based on PF2 RPG
Is pf2e incompatible with race as class in general?
Ditched the idea of race-as-a-class. The reason is that there wasn't a whole lot of strategic choice in character building with it, and this system is really all about throwing choices at the player. Archquest now has a proper Ancestry/Class system and is quite similar to Pathfinder 2e.
Another aspect that I am curious about- if the tactical options are many, does strategic depth really matter?

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
New Archquest revised character sheet! #screenshotsaturday #rpg #dnd https://t.co/abci2L9k0v

20220522-063708.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
So, as a developer, I can spot these icons from a mile away. They are from one of the game dev Humble Bundles. It's not necessarily bad, but I wonder- do other people notice these icons used in other games?
yes

I know I've seen some of those UI elements in your screenshots multiple times elsewhere
on this very site too in fact

Last edited:

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
This is pretty sad. First the graphical degrade and now it's descended to the ignoble status of an arena fighter? I was way more optimistic about this game before, it felt like it was going to be worthy of standing alongside the the great CRPGs, obviously not in terms of sales (the videogame market is a fickle thing), but it could have attained a cult status akin to Age of Decadence, Underrail, etc. Maybe I'll wrong and it'll be fine.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Game looks great, but has there ever been a gamer that was happy of finding rats as an opponent in a game? Like, "wow, just another shitty critter to waste time on, cool! ".
Now they are probably just in the arena.

And to answer the old question: YES. To KILL THEM ALL!

t7xoRjU.jpg

IT's BUCKETS OF OF FUN!

Edit....
Ya know, I've never seen a goblin depicted with a handlebar moustache or any facial hair tbh.
It must be fake like that toupee it also has.

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
udPmjBA.png

now Im confused guess need to wait for gameplay
blobber exploration or no

This is pretty sad. First the graphical degrade and now it's descended to the ignoble status of an arena fighter? I was way more optimistic about this game before, it felt like it was going to be worthy of standing alongside the the great CRPGs, obviously not in terms of sales (the videogame market is a fickle thing), but it could have attained a cult status akin to Age of Decadence, Underrail, etc. Maybe I'll wrong and it'll be fine.
at least game is likely to be released now I suppose, for better or for worse. Did not look like it was ever going to be released previously.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All Events > Archquest Events >

Devlog #3
Character Creation
This is going to be an update on the development of Archquest- specifically an in-depth look at character creation. News of the game has been rather silent lately, but it is still under development.

174bc198e8ef9a0d909cfaca21bc80db5404baf4.jpg

This is the character creation screen. Before, there was only your class to select, but now there is a more comprehensive system where you select your ancestry, heritage, background, class, and more.

The system itself is standard for RPG computer games- There are menu items on the left which brings you to different sections of character creation. You can go back and forth as much as you want- it doesn't have to be in order.

Ancestry
For ancestries, Human, Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling have been implemented. Gnome, Leshy, and Goblin are not yet available, but maybe in the future. Leshy in particular would be interesting to have as a playable ancestry. If you're not familiar, a Leshy is a plant-like person, that can take many different shapes like a cactus or pumpkin. Its something that would require a good amount of art support- not just for making all of the different models(each one would be unique), but also armors. Each armor piece has to be modified to fit the different ancestry bodies. What does a Leshy in full-plate even look like?

f1f117760d05fb187633d93c45b2dc762244a091.png

On the right panel, you can see what your ancestry gives you- as well as the available ancestry feats. It gives you a little tooltip so you can what it does. You don't have all of these right away- You pick one at level 1 and gain more ancestry feats as you level up.

174bc198e8ef9a0d909cfaca21bc80db5404baf4.jpg

Your Ancestry, Background, and Class give you Ability Boosts, and this is the way in which Ability Scores are distributed. There is also a section in which you get 4 free Ability Boosts. In this case humans get two free ability boosts.

You can also see your total Ability Scores at the top. The game is still using the traditional OGL numbers for ability scores. In the revised rules, it's just the modifier. So, instead of 18, it's just +4. The code has not yet been updated to support the new rules, and I need to look at the ORC license and evaluate if it would be a good fit for the game. But I do think Archquest will probably switch over.

Heritage
c3cc45fc0a033912f75ee57a1a375f965c535a18.png

Heritages are like sub-ancestries which give you a minor bonus. For human we have Skilled Human, which gives you a free skill- And Versitile Human, which gives you a free general feat.

Background
dc850c12cdd733f0f8a22acd26ac0e8dc6c58e6c.png

Backgrounds give you ability boots and a trained skill. In the tabletop rules, each background gives you a different skill feat- but a lot of the skill feats in tabletop don't work very well in a video game. Some skill feats like Combat Medicine are implemented, but many of them are really situational or use mechanics that aren't going to be in the game.

Classes
For classes, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Barbarian, and Cleric are implemented. It'll give you a little preview of the armor you might wear with each class. Like with ancestry, it will show you what you get and what feats you have access to on the right. There's also class progression button that will show you what you get in the future.

Skills
62fa3c478dd9cf16f2ffb35cf48191f14b8a1477.gif

Like weapons and armors, skills use the proficiency system. Skills start untrained, and go to trained, expert, master, and legendary. At first level, your maximum proficiency is trained. These skills are used in combat, dialogue, and in the world. For example, In combat you can use Deception to Feint, which throws your opponent off-guard. Intimidation to Demoralize, which makes them frightened, or acrobatics to Tumble Though an opponent's square.

Appearance
Lastly, you can customize your avatar's appearance. It's not exactly a AAA character maker, but there are still a good amount of options to choose from.

0eeaaaa2d7655f0b90edf80de2e66b32acb03e30.png

Thats all for this update. So far, the game is a small project. I haven't done any crowdfunding, Patreon, anything like that. A few people have donated via itch.io, so if you are one of those, thank you very much. I also haven't done much marketing- so you have an interest in the game, I'd appreciate it if you could get the word out any way you can.

Modron

Arcane
Ah yes character customization what an amazing use of resources for a part time, unfunded project. Welp here is to 1.0 in 2035!
Why not, he spent all that effort making a system to produce different npcs can't be that much more work to make those options available to the main character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom