Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

• RPG Discussion

Votes: 246 46.1%
  • Free Speech

Votes: 260 48.7%
  • Anime is shit

Votes: 28 5.2%

• Total voters

Poseidon00

Arcane
It's not about what I want to do but about what I may have to do.

The choice in the poll is clear, because that's what the choice is. As numerous people here have pointed out - and know from experience - once you go down the censorship rabbit hole, where does it end? Right now we have one word. What about all the other words people can use? Where do we stop?

It doesn't. It goes right into turning the forum into another RetardEra. At which point we may as well shut the whole lot down.

As has been alluded to, the Australian High Court made a ruling recently which effectively means I (and the staff) may be responsible for the shit most of you idiots post.

And that's Facebook. Where you're required to post under your real name. What are the greater implications for us?

As Roguey said: DU's been clear for years that he's not so much "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" but "Say whatever you want up until the point where it becomes a legal inconvenience for me."

The Codex has always been a fun hobby. And now, we have a bunch of "free speech" proponents who run the minute shit gets serious and expect me to die on a hill for them.

If you want to post shit on the internet, that's one thing. But if you expect me to take a bullet for that shit, while you scurry off under your fake name and proxy account, that's entirely another.

If you want to be "free speech", that's fine. But you can damn well put your name next to it and stand by what you said.

And how are those crying "free speech" going to feel when I'm ordered to hand over your identifying details to law enforcement authorities? You expect me to refuse and go to jail on your behalf?

Over an RPG website?

We know that a large number of the shit-posters register with free dodgy email accounts and use proxies. Are you going to tell me they're really here to discuss RPGs?

How would you feel if I require personally identifying information in order for you to post on the Codex? Enter your credit card details here so I know who you are, just in case someone decides to play games over some shit you posted.

But even then, that's not enough. They can come after me now. They don't have to care about you. And knowing half the shit-posters and trolls we have here, I guarantee you someone's already thinking about how much "fun" they can have with this.

We already had someone try to shut us down earlier this year.

On one hand, I could argue the likelihood of that is small. Who's really going to take it to court, and sue for defamation in Australia and actually take it that far? It's not entirely an easy process.

But on the other, it's a worrying trend. It's only a matter of time before someone tries it. And all we need is for one person to give it a go and suddenly, we have some very big problems.

Over an RPG discussion website.

Have all the respect in the world for ya DU. If this is becoming a matter of personal liability, maybe its time to either hand over the site to someone in a more friendly legal regime, or create rules that will shield you from liability. I get it. I wouldnt take jail time for us either.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I know someone who lives in a lawless place where anything goes.

Someone who is a CHAMPION of the people and knows their way around! Someone who will get to the bottom of any problem and rip it out, root and stem! That's right, I'm talking about Maxie! Now if DU were to pass the site off to Maxie there'd be a big shake up in administration. For one thing, just about everyone currently on board would be getting replaced. Except Talutain and Infinitron. Talutain because I don't know what he actually does so let's be real, he'd fly under the radar. Infinitron would remain because Saeci and I aren't going to be posting news or any of that shit. We're lazy niggas. Also him being Jewish is kind of like having a warning sign to deter any rabblerousers, kind of like putting heads on pikes or hanged men along the road.

Crispy would need to record himself completing an obstacle course like the one featured on hit '90s show American Gladiators if he wants to stay on board, Roguey becomes one of those prison informants that you should probably forget I mentioned this so he can do his job better, Roxor will be milked for both reviews and semen. Everyone else is getting cut.

We're going to need a moderator that is impartial, fair, and is a pursuer of justice. I nominate Aweigh. You may say, "but Aweigh has 95% of this site on ignore" and you are right. That also means he won't actually moderate because he can't see SHIT thus making him perfect for the job.

Jenkem will need to donate four games each week to the giveaway thread if he hopes to remain a member. If he skimps once, he's outta here. HeroMarine can become my butler. Liberal will be getting banned but not out of malice, since he likes to make thousands of alts it's more like a whack-a-mole minigame. Shoutbox will also see Poles and all Slavic (Asian identifying Russians are sent to General Discussion camp to correct their behavior) have priority in languages spoken. If they speak their native tongue, you'll shut ya damn mouth and let it happen. Don't want any of you pick-up truck driving, spurs-on-your-boots bitches whining about it.

Yes, a Maxie-run Codex would be wonderful. I like it.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Also every Friday would be a community funded PIZZA LUNCH. Except for Scrooge, she needs to keep her figure. We bodyshame up in here.

No weird shit on the pizza.

For my own personal amusement I'd give SumDrunkGuy and Puur Pretswerk their own sub-forums. SDG's would be called "The Hole" and Puur's would be Hafavun. The latter will tell us when it is time to board the spaceship.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Sounds like the typical office.

Don't think that means you're allowed to wear jeans. Only Maxie is allowed to wear khaki shorts and flip-flops with Hawaiian shirts. Everyone else must wear uniforms and if female and comely, latex catsuits.

mondblut

Arcane
Thinking that politics wormed their way into games just recently is a wishful thinking. They just got bolder.
Remember Fallout 2? That classic RPG with too much pop-cultural references?
Well, it has politics too. Just replay Broken Hills once again

Don't forget a homo mutant gets to rape you and you can't do shit about it.

Broken Hills was way ahead of its times.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gaming Drama was created for the specific purpose of discussing the idpol agenda:

Social justice warriors and the drama they cause. Your forum for discussing the never-ending gaming culture war.

Presumably a good deal of people in the gaming forums want to discuss/criticize/argue over aspects that are not that. Megathreads are difficult to follow if you're not keeping up with them, so I'd think having specific threads for specific topics is better for everyone. People get to read and discuss the topic they want in their own thread while people who don't want to read that don't have to deal with it when a thread they're interested in gets into a pages-long debate about a topic they're not interested in.

Codex Year of the Donut
Megathreads are difficult to follow if you're not keeping up with them, so I'd think having specific threads for specific topics is better for everyone. People get to read and discuss the topic they want in their own thread while people who don't want to read that don't have to deal with it when a thread they're interested in gets into a pages-long debate about a topic they're not interested in.
But that's explicitly what it was: a separate thread to discuss the WRITING in the game to not distract the main thread.

Is this "idpol" to you?
screenshot-1-jpg.jpg

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Personally I thought gaming drama was more for gossiping about specific devs. Posts like Rusty's thread should be in the grpg forum and not a hidden forum

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But that's explicitly what it was: a separate thread to discuss the WRITING in the game to not distract the main thread.

Is this "idpol" to you?

I haven't read the thread, but I suspect this is cherry-picking and many posts made within fit within the topic of gaming drama.

I also don't see what's so bad about it, it's (highly subjective) comedy. :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I haven't read the thread, but
no
Just for you I took a look at the last couple of pages before the thread was moved. As expected, sjw this and sjw that.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/wrath-of-the-cringefinder-compilation-thread.140072/page-13

Yeah, take a look at the last couple of posts. Anyway, it would be absurd to have a thread in grpgd where you can criticize everything about the writing except the Forbidden Aspects, so the entire topic needs to be quarantined.

Codex Year of the Donut
Anyway, it would be absurd to have a thread in grpgd where you can criticize everything about the writing except the Forbidden Aspects, so the entire topic needs to be quarantined.
I recognize you have autism so I'm working with you here, but do you not see an issue where we aren't allowed to criticize the writing of an rpg in the rpg forum?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I recognize you have autism so I'm working with you here, but do you not see an issue where we aren't allowed to criticize the writing of an rpg in the rpg forum?

It's still on the RPG forum, just not in the general RPG subforum. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom