Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Aren't I getting lost?

Molina

Savant
Two years ago, at the beginning of my thesis, I had a rather crazy idea. I was playing Daggerfall, and I thought it was a shame to have made such a big but empty environment. The assets are constantly repeating themselves but I had the feeling that the world was a pleasant place. All that was missing were handmade quests, conversations... stuff that made this world feel real. One thing that struck me when playing a Spiderweb game is that you go somewhere, a dialog window pops-up with a description of the environment. It’s simple, elegant… Why isn't it used more often?

So I had this idea of an SIMS-RPG. It wouldn't be a strategy game, the goal of the game would simply be to create an environment that looks alive without the player. Not a fancy game, just walking around, talking to people, skills check, being recruited by organization and C&C stuff. With text box and lot of variables, it could be done. I built a prototype of a FPS, with melee-combat, is shitty as daggerfall so, it was ok. I have a buggy inventory-system, I bought a dialogue system asset… And now all I have to do is create art content. I struggle with art asset but I’m learning. I am ready to spend years, like an autistic person, creating this environment piece by piece. Like this Japanese janitor : https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-years-designing-intricate-maze-9066667.html

I chose low poly style. ‘Cause fuck RPG codex, I’m a cuck. The environment is a kind of dieselpunk of the Roaring Twenties in France with communists as good guys. Simple environments have always seemed warmer to me (http://19centurycraft.blogspot.com/ ) so..why not.

Because I have articles to write, conferences to prepare, for 5 months I stopped the project. And now, with hindsight, I wonder if that would be a good idea after all.

Anyway, does that sound like a good idea to you? Do you know of any games that have tried the same thing?

Sincerely,

Molina

mondblut

Arcane
All that was missing were handmade quests, conversations...

Way to completely miss the point of Daggerfall.

So I had this idea of an SIMS-RPG. It wouldn't be a strategy game, the goal of the game would simply be to create an environment that looks alive without the player. Not a fancy game, just walking around, talking to people, skills check, being recruited by organization and C&C stuff. With text box and lot of variables, it could be done. I built a prototype of a FPS, with melee-combat, is shitty as daggerfall so, it was ok.

Cool, you've just invented Oblivion.

with communists as good guys.

Why am I not surprised.

Let me guess, is your hair color pink or green?

Last edited:

Molina

Savant
Way to completely miss the point of Daggerfall.

Cool, you've just invented Oblivion.

Why am I not surprised.

Let me guess, is your hair color pink or green?
Lol. Let me guess, you're fat, didn't touch a woman in your life, are paid less than 1200 USD and and the last time you opened a book (5 years ago) it was a fantasy book ? And of course, right now, you're wearing a ugly T-shirt.

mondblut

Arcane
Lol. Let me guess, you're fat, didn't touch a woman in your life, are paid less than 1200 USD and and the last time you opened a book (5 years ago) it was a fantasy book ? And of course, right now, you're wearing a ugly T-shirt.

...said the person pining to LARP with pixel people. Methinks the lady doth project too much.

Molina

Savant
Okay... I guess it's a training to care your Wernicke's aphasia. Goes on.

Molina

Savant
It's because I'm working on that at the moment. And frankly, guys like mundblut, I really don't understand why they open their mouth. It's always out of place. I read RPGCodex for while now, and for each topic, you reach a moment when a moron front attacks an another moron with "SWJ" "Pink Hair" "Cuck" "Canadian".

I dunno how to react to be honest. Normally, I avoid hanging out on Reddit, 4chan or Resetera, but you met the same untermensch there and here. Like cancer, you can't really avoid them, they creep in everywhere, always in need of attention, to re-digest their resentment again and again. Jeez.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It's because I'm working on that at the moment. And frankly, guys like mundblut, I really don't understand why they open their mouth. It's always out of place. I read RPGCodex for while now, and for each topic, you reach a moment when a moron front attacks an another moron with "SWJ" "Pink Hair" "Cuck" "Canadian".

I dunno how to react to be honest.

People here are edgy, any subject / game you're talking about is going to get you some love and hatred, that's the Codex, just react accordingly, sometimes, it feels good.

Bocian

Arcane
Let me guess, you're fat, didn't touch a woman in your life
67f.jpg
Be more creative

EeksGames

Barely Literate
Sounds kind of interesting. Do you have any images of the project? What kind of objects are being built in the sims side of the game? Is it a dungeon builder, world builder, town builder?

Skdursh

Savant
Almost anything can be good so long as the actual execution is good, so... yeah, sounds good, except for the communism.

EeksGames

Barely Literate
Almost anything can be good so long as the actual execution is good, so... yeah, sounds good, except for the communism.

Yeah, system is bad. Can't trust a small group to make everyone miserably poor and provide a good life, while sitting at the top of the pyramid. It can't work the way people dream it to work.

Molina, let us know what you'll be building, sounds cool, but left out of original post :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom