Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkham Horror: Mother's Embrace - investigation game with turn-based combat

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New atmospheric trailer, no gameplay:

Testownia

1. Those spell chants sound like taken straight from Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale.
2. For once make use of the period-appropriate, license-free music, and just stuff the game full of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They didn't release that trailer for no reason. Release date March 23rd.

Testownia

They didn't release that trailer for no reason. Release date March 23rd.

With any luck, it will only take a few months of patches to make the game playable. I spent many, many evenings playing the original board game, so my hopes are relatively high.

CanadianCorndog

Learned
I don't understand how so many people build products based on the work of H.P. Lovecraft but insist on adding heroes and the chance to "win" against an uncaring universe. They love him...but they can't accept him? Or they can't market him? I guess they think of it as free I.P.
Game looks ok

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I don't understand how so many people build products based on the work of H.P. Lovecraft but insist on adding heroes and the chance to "win" against an uncaring universe. They love him...but they can't accept him? Or they can't market him? I guess they think of it as free I.P.
Game looks ok

Cthulhu was beaten by a steam boat.
Sometimes people can win but it takes extreme measures.

PrettyDeadman

Game looks ok
In lovecraft books humans used rocketboats to successfully blast eldrich beings off, defeated cthulhu by ramming him with a fish boat or smh. Ctuhulhu in lovercraft lore is a lot weaker than Godzilla for example. The cosmic horror part is not due to Cthulhu powerlevel, but due to authors heightened level of neuroticism. I don't see why you have problems with "heroes" in lovecraftbased products.

Harthwain

Magister
Game looks ok
Giving people a highly unlikely chance of winning adds extra challenge and something to strive for. Because it's in human nature to try to win, against the odds. Without it you simply wouldn't care for the outcome. I mean, if you literally can't win, then why bother?

CanadianCorndog

Learned
Only Lovecraft story that has heroes banding together to defeat a monster is The Dunwich Horror? I just haven't seen any of these Lovecraft spin-off products capture the vibe or spirit of Lovecraft. It's adventure or action with a sprinkling of Lovecraftian monsters.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know, you're right. This universe shouldn't really have games made in it, because the stories are almost always hopeless and there's no point in a game you automatically lose. It makes no sense ... who would play a game in this world anyway?

Game looks ok
Oh. Well that answers that.

Zombra

Patron
I can tune out my personal quibbles with an I.P. if I have a reason to play the game. I wouldn't want game developers to go hungry.
That's generous of you.

Next question: would you have looked at this game at all if it had been about, oh, dwarves vs. orcs, or space marines vs. aliens?

CanadianCorndog

Learned
That's generous of you.

Next question: would you have looked at this game at all if it had been about, oh, dwarves vs. orcs, or space marines vs. aliens?

Probably 2/3rds of the games I own have those things or similar...so yes, I would have looked at this game if it was...oh, let's say...dwarf space marines going crazy investigating orc cult crimes.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Game looks ok

Humans can win individual battles. In Lovecraft's stories they've defeated creatures with guns, dogs, bombs, and spells. Defeating Yog-Sothoth's half-human sons may have set back his plans by decades, but decades are meaningless to ageless beings. While battles can be won, losing the war is inevitable.

Lovecraft's horror comes from the idea that humans are nothing more than ants in an indifferent universe caught in a cosmic war between beings far beyond human comprehension.

vota DC

Augur
Also someone has to say it: Negro investigator. Of course. :roll:
They can use a negro cosmic horror. In many cultures the Boogeyman Is called Black Man, also Pink Floyd themselves referred about him in another brick on the wall (nigga leave the kids alone).

CanadianCorndog

Learned
Humans can win individual battles. In Lovecraft's stories they've defeated creatures with guns, dogs, bombs, and spells. Defeating Yog-Sothoth's half-human sons may have set back his plans by decades, but decades are meaningless to ageless beings. While battles can be won, losing the war is inevitable.

Lovecraft's horror comes from the idea that humans are nothing more than ants in an indifferent universe caught in a cosmic war between beings far beyond human comprehension.

Sure but...the spirit just isn't there. Does this trailer feel Lovecraftian? I'm sure it's a fine game but...

Zombra

Patron
NEWS FLASH! For the very first time in history, an IP spinoff by different artists in a completely different format has a different "feel" from the original.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Sure but...the spirit just isn't there. Does this trailer feel Lovecraftian? I'm sure it's a fine game but...

It definitely has a bunch of the superficial elements down, but it's hard to tell from a trailer if the game will have a slow descent into madness like the stories typically do.

Zombra

Patron
Excited to play this next week. I wonder which 12 investigators you can choose from - the series has about 50.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom