Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
lol
zNORPG.png

Oracsbox

Trailer tomorrow

That very early poster released was correct it is 'Valhalla'

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Logical timeline would have led to Rome after starting in ancient Egypt and then ancient Greece... going Viking is quite the leap ahead (thousand years)

I was genuinely hoping for ancient Rome.

Anyway, since Odyssey was very good, I'll give this a chance. If they increase the RPG element even farther, then that's pure :incline:

The farther from the original AssCreed bullshit the series moves, the better. Semi serious, open world, fantasy RPGs - yes please Ubi!

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Is this dumb even by Ubisoft's logic.
This is a series that needs big urbans enviroments, and this particular time and place of history didn't have that.
Give me something more exotic - China during the 3 kingdoms; India's Golden Age; hell why don't you go full circle and have it set on the First Persian Empire with a richly detailed city of Babylon.
Vikings is just fucking boring.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Is this dumb even by Ubisoft's logic.
This is a series that needs big urbans enviroments, and this particular time and place of history didn't have that.
Give me something more exotic - China during the 3 kingdoms; India's Golden Age; hell why don't you go full circle and have it set on the First Persian Empire with a richly detailed city of Babylon.
Vikings is just fucking boring.

Setting doesn't really matter anymore because AC went front "whacking enemies with hidden blade and parkouring" to basically being a by-the-numbers action RPG. Ubisoft logic, at least.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Logical timeline would have led to Rome after starting in ancient Egypt and then ancient Greece... going Viking is quite the leap ahead (thousand years)

I was genuinely hoping for ancient Rome.

Anyway, since Odyssey was very good, I'll give this a chance. If they increase the RPG element even farther, then that's pure :incline:

The farther from the original AssCreed bullshit the series moves, the better. Semi serious, open world, fantasy RPGs - yes please Ubi!

Why?

There was no logical timeline.

Origins took place in 1st Century BC, in Egypt and (in the last chapter) in Rome.

Odyssey moved back in time to 5th Century BC and classical Greece.

I would not be surprised if the next installment took place in Mesopotamia in XX Century BC or in British India in XIX Century. Viking period is also not surprising. It's random anyway.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
"This artwork shows women going on raids with their men. This isn't historically accurate but we felt like putting it in anyway."

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can't wait to be meh at pre-release, somewhat interested at the reveal, D1P to enjoy the sceneries and the theme park roam in the first 30 hours, then absolutely despise the game in the next 30 hours because every mechanic of the game is effortlessly designed and doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Last edited:

Duralux for Durabux

I can't wait to be meh at pre-release, somewhat interested at the reveal, D1P to enjoy the sceneries and enjoy the theme park roam in the first 30 hours, then absolutely despise the game in the next 30 hours because every mechanic of the game is effortlessly designed and doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
At least, landscapes and graphics will be beautiful.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Ass Creed was more fun when it didn't force extraneous "RPG mechanics" down the game's throat. The games have always been about exploration, parkour, and doing various sidequests. All that Odyssey really added was:
- XP so you have to grind those formerly optional side quests
- HP bloat because it wouldn't be an RPG if stats didn't inflate as you leveled up
- Level scaling which makes the HP bloat issue even worse because now the game becomes less fun and you feel less powerful as you level up because enemy HP increases more than damage, leading to them becoming spongier and spongier

I'd take the mindless but fluid combat of the earlier Ass Creed titles over this inflated HP bloat mess any day.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Ass Creed was more fun when it didn't force extraneous "RPG mechanics" down the game's throat.

That's when it earned the name Asscreed, it was so fun dumb. Brainless console bullshit for manchildren who didn't know a damn thing about history and craved that awesome-button.

Not to mention paint eating stupid plot and contrived philosophies.

There is no defense for the existence of Asscreed before Odyssey. Should be nuked and paved the lot of them.

Btw. Odyssey has the same "RPG mechanics" as TW3 and I'm sure you used quotes every time when talking about TW3 and you're totally not pushing a personal agenda here.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ass Creed was more fun when it didn't force extraneous "RPG mechanics" down the game's throat.

That's when it earned the name Asscreed, it was so fun dumb. Brainless console bullshit for manchildren who didn't know a damn thing about history and craved that awesome-button.

Not to mention paint eating stupid plot and contrived philosophies.

There is no defense for the existence of Asscreed before Odyssey. Should be nuked and paved the lot of them.

Btw. Odyssey had the same "RPG mechanics" as TW3 and I'm sure you used quotes every time when talking about TW3 and you're totally not pushing a personal agenda here.

Don't forget Origins. It's superior to Odyssey, especially when it comes to worldbuilding.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Don't forget Origins. It's superior to Odyssey, especially when it comes to worldbuilding.

I'll take your word for it, I just haven't played Origins yet.

I know it is based on the same engine and ideas as Odyssey, so it's definitely part of the *new* and actually damn good Assassin's Creed series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom