Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

Duralux for Durabux

Still sticking to the retarded Templar meta thing.

Other than that it was p. cool. Not a single Viking was black, not a single soldier was female.

Inb4 backlash and half the Nordic army stunningbrave black femyn.
You haven't seen nothing yet in game. You'll be surprise.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cool trailer, doesn't tell shit about the shit that will be in the game tho.

Eh, you're obviously gonna play a viking and invade England and fight anglo-saxons, there'll probably be early motte and bailey castles to do parkour in, you'll sail a longship like you sailed a Greek trireme in Odyssey, etc.

It's obvious, innit?

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
AC Unity's way to handle present day stuff(simply addressing the player as animus user) was the best.

It was stupid and actual offensive. AC Unity didn't handle the present day stuff, it simply pushed it aside. Nothing in the day in Unity pushes the story forward, to the point that it could be cut out of the game entirely and nothing would change.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
And it was the best.

I fundamentally disagree. The present day is the most important part of the series. It's what makes it stand out from being a simple history inspired game, and gives meaning and connection to each past protagonist, setting an end game for the series at the same time. At least was like this before they fucked it up in 3. But the fact that it's shit now doesn't mean that it has to be cancelled, it means that they need to improve it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I always found the present day parts lame (in AC2 and Brotherhood whenever I had to play as Desmond I just wished it would be over quickly so I could return to parkouring through Renaissance Italy, thank you very much) and am glad the series moved away from them. They could be cut out entirely for all I care, the main meat of the games has always been history parkour and stylish assassinations.

sullynathan

Arcane
How can you parkour without the really tall buildings like the old games? How can we assassinate when were warriors?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Does the name change if it's a female or stays the same (Eivor doesn't seems to sound female at all)?
Eivor is traditionally a woman's name. I assume that Ubisoft picked it precisely because it sounds fairly masculine, so they can get away with using the same name for both genders of protagonists and save on the voice acting budget.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So like Oddesy this one will also be an RPG huh.

And the series has been moving more and more from its initial premise. Which is needed, probably. It gets old doing the same thing over and over and over. AC1 - AC3 wasn't really really all exciting to play either. After you play 1 or 2 game bbecause it was the same stuff in different setting.

How can you parkour without the really tall buildings like the old games? How can we assassinate when were warriors?

The only rule of assassination is to be discreet. Killing everybody so nobody can snitch on you is thus an assassination :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/...eed-valhalla-become-a-legendary-viking-raider

In Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, nearly every decision you make will have lasting effects throughout the world. Violence won’t be your only tactic for getting what you want; a silver tongue can be as effective as a steel sword when it comes to finding a home for your people. Shifting England’s balance of power and expanding your influence through diplomacy will likely make you more friends than brute force. Every political alliance you build, combat strategy you employ, and dialogue choice you make will alter your journey.

:obviously: Expeditions Viking btfo, sorry Avonaeon

Quillon

Arcane
And it was the best.

I fundamentally disagree. The present day is the most important part of the series. It's what makes it stand out from being a simple history inspired game, and gives meaning and connection to each past protagonist, setting an end game for the series at the same time. At least was like this before they fucked it up in 3. But the fact that it's shit now doesn't mean that it has to be cancelled, it means that they need to improve it.

It's shit, I don't like it, they most certainly won't improve it so the less I see of it the better. Unity's way would make much more sense with gender choice; create a character & play your ancestor, easy & clean, they can push the shit narrative through the briefer.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/...eed-valhalla-become-a-legendary-viking-raider

In Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, nearly every decision you make will have lasting effects throughout the world. Violence won’t be your only tactic for getting what you want; a silver tongue can be as effective as a steel sword when it comes to finding a home for your people. Shifting England’s balance of power and expanding your influence through diplomacy will likely make you more friends than brute force. Every political alliance you build, combat strategy you employ, and dialogue choice you make will alter your journey.

:obviously: Expeditions Viking btfo, sorry Avonaeon

Ah, so we will play as migrants trying to go to England and get benefits.

Oracsbox

Well I'm looking forward to it...when it comes to asscreed all my normal critical criteria fly out the window :D I just find them fun.

The modern day animus stuff I can live without tho'

By the way anyone having trouble with Assassin Creed Odyssey combat or tired of HP bloat ..you just need good well designed builds, even on Nightmare you can/should be killing stuff in one or two hits..this guy has legit excellent builds of all types
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCVQbGlKCjW0kF-p7ioPoQpQ

Quillon

Arcane
The boat stuff was the best thing from AC3 & 4.

But it was shit in recent games cos of timeline, there are way more options to play & customize ships of recent centuries + enemy ship variety.

So don't expect anything good from viking longboats :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom