Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

Duralux for Durabux

Don't forget Origins. It's superior to Odyssey, especially when it comes to worldbuilding.
Origins was better because of pharaohs and Ancient egypt, it's such a fertile non-exploited ground for a good game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Btw. Odyssey has the same "RPG mechanics" as TW3 and I'm sure you used quotes every time when talking about TW3 and you're totally not pushing a personal agenda here.

Yes, Witcher 3 also has terrible RPG mechanics suffering from bloat and inconsistent HP pools (level 20 goblins being stronger than early game griffins, give me a fucking break, HP scaling like this is the worst kind of "RPG mechanic" out there).

If all your "RPG mechanics" lead to is HP bloat and end-game enemies taking 20 hits to kill while you are also tanky as fuck and take 20 hits to kill, it's not fun.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Yes, Witcher 3 also has terrible RPG mechanics suffering from bloat and inconsistent HP pools (level 20 goblins being stronger than early game griffins, give me a fucking break, HP scaling like this is the worst kind of "RPG mechanic" out there).

This has been the case since forever, always.

In fact, Irenicus would have had his ass handed to him by regular bar patrons from Throne of Bhaal.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Btw. Odyssey has the same "RPG mechanics" as TW3

Odyssey is a piece of shit, not only in the RPG aspect of the game (if we can even call it like that), don't compare it to TW3.

Also LOL to the fact that this new direction of Assassin's Creed is "damn good". Previous Assassin's Creeds, with all their faults, at least handed to the player the tools to express their creativity through gameplay, be in the parkour (and that si expecially true in the first 4 games) and the actual assassinations. Parkour in Odyssey and Origins has been dumbed the fuck down and it's not a gameplay feature anymore, just a way of traversing the map, and the assassinations are basically non existant.

Duralux for Durabux

Odyssey is a piece of shit, not only in the RPG aspect of the game (if we can even call it like that), don't compare it to TW3.

Also LOL to the fact that this new direction of Assassin's Creed is "damn good". Previous Assassin's Creeds, with all their faults, at least handed to the player the tools to express their creativity through gameplay, be in the parkour (and that si expecially true in the first 4 games) and the actual assassinations. Parkour in Odyssey and Origins has been dumbed the fuck down and it's not a gameplay feature anymore, just a way of traversing the map, and the assassinations are basically non existant.
Assassin's creed was innovative before origin because they tried at making a sort of stealth,parkour( even if it was far from perfect) game but now everything is copy paste( not in the good way like you said) from witcher 3. There is nothing new except landscapes and graphics.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

This has been the case since forever, always.

In fact, Irenicus would have had his ass handed to him by regular bar patrons from Throne of Bhaal.

Which is a bad mechanic and shows that horizontal character development is often more fun than excessive vertical development.

But D&D gets a pass because high level gameplay tends to be different enough from low level gameplay: a lot more spells (BG2 had epic mage duels), powerful magic weapons and armors with special effects, etc.

In Assassins Creed Odyssey, combat works essentially the same at high levels as it does at low levels, but it takes a lot longer to take down enemies (or be taken down yourself) because of excessive HP scaling that stands in no relation to damage scaling.

I recently started playing Fallout 4 and it's a reasonably enjoyable action RPG, but it has the same issue. I'm at level 15 now and raiders at my level range take a lot longer to take down (and they take a lot longer to take me down, too) than they used to at low levels. It used to be that 3 close-up shotgun blasts would kill a lightly armored raider, or one stealth headshot would take him out, or half a dozen rifle shots at mid range. I was also a lot more vulnerable myself, being completely shredded by a single grenade, losing half my health against a close-up shotgun blast, etc. But now at mid-level the tension is gone because combat turned from a deadly dance to a lengthy war of attrition where you and your enemies slowly chip away at each other's huge HP pools.

I installed these two mods to make the combat fun again:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24313
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24626?

The issue here is that health gains per level are far higher than damage gains per level, so combat becomes less deadly and more about attrition grind. Usually this also lessens the challenge because when player and enemies are equally spongy, the player wins due to an overabundance of healing items or better tactics. In games with such bogus levels of health scaling, combat stops being fun at high levels, and you stop feeling powerful because it takes ages to take down enemies when it used to just take a couple of hits at low levels.

Again, D&D solves this by giving you plenty of spells that either deal massive amounts of damage, can instakill, can massively debilitate, etc, so combat doesn't lose its tension. But when your system doesn't give the player tools like that and combat essentially plays out the same way it did on low levels except numbers are bigger, it turns into a boring slog and you wish you were back at low levels again because back then it was fun.

Odyssey also had a rebalance mod that un-bloated both your and the enemies' HP (sadly the modder went awol and the mod doesn't work with the most recent patch), which should tell you that the HP bloat was a major issue.

RPG systems that don't have infinitely scaling health are much better than those which do. That Fallout 4 mod that ties health to constitution and severs it from level for both you and all enemies makes the game so much more fun because you no longer encounter bloated enemies that take 500 shots to kill, and if you want to increase your own survivability you must invest your points into constitution (you know, like you're supposed to in an RPG - if you want a thing to increase you invest points in it, to the detriment of other things you could have increased instead).

PrettyDeadman

If it was the case, why he was played off as some kind of dangerous villain? 1 guard should've been more than enough to take care of a wuss weaker than average tavern drunk.
Can't believe how shitty bg2 plot was...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
If it was the case, why he was played off as some kind of dangerous villain? 1 guard should've been more than enough to take care of a wuss weaker than average tavern drunk.
Can't believe how shitty bg2 plot was...

The problem isn't the plot, the problem is ridiculous levels of power scaling (and applying that to random tavern patrons in a high level area rather than just to appropriate NPCs and monsters).

Duralux for Durabux

The problem isn't the plot, the problem is ridiculous levels of power scaling (and applying that to random tavern patrons in a high level area rather than just to appropriate NPCs and monsters).
Assassin's creed needed to be a Thief-clone with murders instead of a Witcher-clone.

Last edited by a moderator:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Unity and Syndicate were pretty decent if they hadn't been so buggy and rushed. But instead of refining their formula, Ubisoft decided to switch genres and turn Ass Creed into another generic action RPG whose only RPG credentials are that numbers go up.

Oh well.

s3nzNhi.png
At least she has a nice beard.

Quillon

Arcane
No gender choice this time

In Assassin’s Creed® Valhalla, you are Eivor, a fierce Viking warrior raised on tales of battle and glory. Explore a dynamic and beautiful open world set against the brutal backdrop of England’s Dark Ages. Raid your enemies, grow your settlement, and build your political power in your quest to earn your place among the gods in Valhalla.

WRITE YOUR VIKING SAGA–Advanced RPG mechanics allow you to shape the growth of your character and influence the world around you. With every choice you make, from political alliances and combat strategy to dialogue and gear progression, you will carve your own path to glory.

VISCERAL COMBAT SYSTEM –Dual-wield powerful weapons such as axes, swords, and even shields to relive the ruthless fighting style of the Viking warriors. Brutally decapitate your foes, vanquish them from afar, or stealthily assassinate targets with your hidden blade. Challenge yourself with the most varied collection of deadly enemies ever found in an Assassin’s Creed game.

A DARK AGE OPEN WORLD–Sail from the harsh and mysterious shores of Norway to the beautiful but forbidding kingdoms of England and beyond. Immerse yourself in the Viking way of life through fishing, hunting, drinking games, and more.

LEAD EPIC RAIDS –Launch massive assaults against Saxon troops and fortresses throughout England. Lead your clan in surprise attacks from your longship and pillage enemy territories to bring riches and resources back to your people.

GROW YOUR SETTLEMENT–Construct and upgrade buildings that allow for deep customization, including a barracks, blacksmith, tattoo parlor, and more. Recruit new members to your clan and personalize your Viking experience.

MERCENARY VIKINGS–Create and customize a unique Viking raider within your clan and share it online with friends to use during their own raids

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
The final move with the hidden blade was p. dope gotta admit.

But aside from that this looks dime in a dozen. Luckily Youtube recommended me a far better trailer afterwards

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
No gender choice this time

In Assassin’s Creed® Valhalla, you are Eivor, a fierce Viking warrior raised on tales of battle and glory. Explore a dynamic and beautiful open world set against the brutal backdrop of England’s Dark Ages. Raid your enemies, grow your settlement, and build your political power in your quest to earn your place among the gods in Valhalla.

WRITE YOUR VIKING SAGA–Advanced RPG mechanics allow you to shape the growth of your character and influence the world around you. With every choice you make, from political alliances and combat strategy to dialogue and gear progression, you will carve your own path to glory.

VISCERAL COMBAT SYSTEM –Dual-wield powerful weapons such as axes, swords, and even shields to relive the ruthless fighting style of the Viking warriors. Brutally decapitate your foes, vanquish them from afar, or stealthily assassinate targets with your hidden blade. Challenge yourself with the most varied collection of deadly enemies ever found in an Assassin’s Creed game.

A DARK AGE OPEN WORLD–Sail from the harsh and mysterious shores of Norway to the beautiful but forbidding kingdoms of England and beyond. Immerse yourself in the Viking way of life through fishing, hunting, drinking games, and more.

LEAD EPIC RAIDS –Launch massive assaults against Saxon troops and fortresses throughout England. Lead your clan in surprise attacks from your longship and pillage enemy territories to bring riches and resources back to your people.

GROW YOUR SETTLEMENT–Construct and upgrade buildings that allow for deep customization, including a barracks, blacksmith, tattoo parlor, and more. Recruit new members to your clan and personalize your Viking experience.

MERCENARY VIKINGS–Create and customize a unique Viking raider within your clan and share it online with friends to use during their own raids
Actually

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...torytelling-by-giving-you-a-viking-settlement

One thing the trailer doesn't tell you is that Eivor can be played as either male or female, and that your choice of gender is only part of the customisation you'll get. Beards, tattoos and war paint options will be available to pick from. Your gear will also be customisable, Laferrière says, as will your Viking longboat. (Oh, and you get a Viking longboat.) Why does the trailer focus on the male version of Eivor only, I asked? The answer, as was the case with Odyssey's Kassandra and Alexios, is that the marketing will "showcase both at different points".

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Still sticking to the retarded Templar meta thing.

Other than that it was p. cool. Not a single Viking was black, not a single soldier was female.

Inb4 backlash and half the Nordic army stunningbrave black femyn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom