Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Auction House Online: The Game (Diablo 3) is a MASSIVE decline

Raapys

Arcane
Personally I certainly had no trouble doing it in the midst of an encounter. Sent my character on a little walk, then used a couple of seconds to enter the skill screen and select a new one, waiting for the cooldown timer while running around and using my other active skill. So yes, it's easily doable in the middle of an encounter.

But I don't get why you feel that's in any way enough of a penalty( even if it was impossible in an encounter, which it certainly isn't). They just removed the entire point with level ups; developing your character in the direction you want. Why even bother with levels anymore?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Because it's the same system as Guild Wars, and although I never cared for Guild Wars that much, there was no denying that the skill system made for highly customizable characters.

Raapys

Arcane
It's also the same system used in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare multiplayer. But then again, that's Activision too ^__^

Phelot

Arcane
:lol:

Man this thread is great. I always hated Diablo, only ever played a bit of the first one so I don't give a fuck about the series, but this thread is still entertaining. I guess it's like an American watching British parliament screaming at each other. Who the fuck knows what's going on, but it's still fun.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I don't understand how one can look on a thread and not be happy at the sight of it! Or to speak with a poster and not be happy in loving him?… There are so many things at every click so beautiful."

Does being a shill pay well?

if you consider how preeminently experienced blizzard is at focus grouping it'll be no shock to encounter someone here for whom their products resonate on the same frequency

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
To some the approach we’re taking is likely a turnoff because they want to feel like they’re part of an elite group able to figure out complex and obtuse game systems
... did Blizzard just admit that their game system is obtuse?

Also, I'm loving this new trend of insulting your paying customers in this industry.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Customisation in Diablo 3 = every character of same class/lvl is SAME. Same statistics, same skills. Same everything! Clone wars anyone? Only difference between characters of equal class/lvl is equipment. So much for customization.

and what's the difference to d2?! every build was the exact same... there even was no difference in equipment -.-.

In my years in d2, I had a necromancer - general of undead armies, necromancer - sorcerer; a mage using fire magic and a mage using air magic (or was it ice); an amazon that used bows and another with thrown weapons. Surely even more, but it was a long time ago.

The mind boggles.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Also, I'm loving this new trend of insulting your paying customers in this industry.

the way they do it pits the majority against the minority while they just rake in the profits since they're giving people fun nice game here and bad haters are be hating the fun game so go hate them and love us

reminds me of american politics

Phelot

Arcane

Yeah, I've noticed this happening too. Reminds me of Todd Howard claiming they removed shit in Oblivion because "nobody used it anyway"

Livonya

Augur
Patron
I enjoyed making non-optimal hardcore characters in D2. I had a barbarian that did shouts instead of whirlwind. Was it the best hardcore build? No, but I knew that and still went ahead and gave it a try. I enjoyed the challenge. It has been a long time since I played D2, but I did enjoy exploring different skill tree areas. That is where the replay interest was for me.

It may be that all the "best" players used the same builds, but I am pretty sure the rest of us were trying all sorts of different things in D2 for all sorts of different reasons, and the argument that all builds in D2 were exactly the same is simply not true.

Stabwound

Arcane
Because it's the same system as Guild Wars, and although I never cared for Guild Wars that much, there was no denying that the skill system made for highly customizable characters.
It's not really the same system as GW. If we could dual class characters, yeah, then we'd be talking about some heavy customization.

After my initial rage at the new skill system, I think it's probably better for everyone other than 12 year old aspies with an entire summer free to grind out characters. To say that the character system isn't customizable is just false. What I suppose people will have a problem with is that there's no permanence to your character, and therefore no reason to make more than one of the same class outside of hardcore mode.

But unless you're a 12 year old aspie the new system will probably be a lot more fun ultimately. They've set it up so that all skills, even the first ones you unlock, should be potentially viable for the entire game, and you can add runes to them that change the effects. So you can theoretically create your own builds and mix and match skills and not have to grind another character for hours on end to be able to do so.

PxElp.jpg

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Customisation in Diablo 3 = every character of same class/lvl is SAME. Same statistics, same skills. Same everything! Clone wars anyone? Only difference between characters of equal class/lvl is equipment. So much for customization.

and what's the difference to d2?! every build was the exact same... there even was no difference in equipment -.-.

In my years in d2, I had a necromancer - general of undead armies, necromancer - sorcerer; a mage using fire magic and a mage using air magic (or was it ice); an amazon that used bows and another with thrown weapons.

reading in context... your minion user was in no way different to the minion user over there. your orbsorc was the exact same orbsorc the other guy used. there were different builds but they doesn't differentiate from each other right down to the stats. on top they even used almost the exact same equip. that's the same in d3 - the chars are identical at the same levels but builds are doable through choosing different skills. plus those skills are viable in high level wheres in d2 every build was reduced to 2-3 skills max and equip has a lot more influence on your char without the retardo strength restriction, the only reason for this stat. they could have reduced d2's stats to dex and vita because others were totally senseless and changed nothing in gameplay.

but hey, i am oh sooo intelligent and a uberpowergamerleetontopofallconsolekiddies because in d2 i spent 5 stat points at every lvlup :D

fuckin' morons without a clue they are...

hoverdog

Developer
t_901_what_the_fuck_am_i_reading_112.jpg

seriously, "some other guy also has a minion necro" is your argument? what the fuck man? are you high? can you know how exactly i spent my ability points?
hey, let's remove attributes and feats from DnD, cause every two-weapon-fighting warrior will have take ambidextrous, two weapon fighting and improved two weapon fighting! And every bard will become a red dragon disciple! Hey look, it's Fallout - who the hell needs attributes, after all everyone takes 10 AGI!

:hmmm:

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
can you know how exactly i spent my ability points?

there were only 2 viable stats in d2 - dex and vita. strength was calculated because everybody knows from the start which equip he wanted to use in the future... btw the point was not that the other guy also used a minion user but that his minion user was basically the exact same as yours. but after posting your dnd example it's now your turn to explain what exactly d2 did in a more complex way than d3. and please don't post this retarded stat example again ;)

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Something happened with Blizzard during/after Warcraft 3, […]

Do you mean WoW?

Anyway from the little I saw from D3 beta, it doesn't bother me. There are some stupid moments, like how the blacksmith deals with his wife, but at least these are few and far between. In a game like Mass Effect that sort of stuff was constantly throw in my face, enough to make me cringe for a lifetime.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The dialogue and story is so derp it's really putting me off the game. Something happened with Blizzard during/after Warcraft 3, turning all of their settings and storylines into something that was written by a 10-year-old.

Warcraft 3's writing, simplistic as it were, was still better than this crap. Compare the scene where Lachdanan kills Leoric to the W3 cutscene in which Arthas kills his father. It's like working on WoW for 8 years made their brains rot.

hoverdog

Developer
can you know how exactly i spent my ability points?

there were only 2 viable stats in d2 - dex and vita. strength was calculated because everybody knows from the start which equip he wanted to use in the future... btw the point was not that the other guy also used a minion user but that his minion user was basically the exact same as yours. but after posting your dnd example it's now your turn to explain what exactly d2 did in a more complex way than d3. and please don't post this retarded stat example again ;)
confirmed as 2012 newfag bliz apologist, sorry I won't bother answering to bullshit

Raapys

Arcane
I don't get how those people even find their way here.

So you can theoretically create your own builds and mix and match skills and not have to grind another character for hours on end to be able to do so.
There are no 'builds' since there is no character development. Now it's *only* about equipping stuff, be that armor, weapons or skills. In D2 you had both character builds and equipment.

Stabwound

Arcane
Nah, there are still builds. It looks crappy at first, but as mentioned it's somewhat similar to the system Guild Wars uses, and I had a ton of fun figuring out unique combinations of skills in that game. Admittedly, that game is more flexible because you have a wider variety of skills to choose from, and more hotkey spots, though. Don't forget that you can use any combination of 6 skills that you want, along with any combination of runes. I'm not sure why Blizzard makes that an option you have to select to enable; that's weird.

I think that D3 will ultimately be more flexible and fun than D2 with the skill system, but I might be wrong.

The skill system is kind of like a more flexible version of the D1 system. It feels like an evolution of that system, rather than the D2 system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom