Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avatar Gallery Submission Thread

Do you care about custom avatars?

• Yes, and I want something done about it.

Votes: 314 54.4%
  • No, just leave it the way it is.

Votes: 263 45.6%

• Total voters

mondblut

Arcane
By the way, I possess means to extract graphics from a large number of classic early 90s RPGs. So, if you want to fight the newfag decline yelping and demanding their shit custom avatards to be reinstated, leave requests and I'll see what I can do to improve our monocled galleries. If I couldn't be bothered to screencap and crop them myself (that's a lot of work), I would provide files and instructions to do so.

Also, we're ought to handpick some of the better Dominions 3 units (read: the Nephilim :smug: ) and make a gallery out of them.

A practical question: how are transparent gifs supposed to be done? A plenty of avatars seem to have transparencies, yet the browser says they are jpegs, wtf? When taken out, they have #000000 for their background.

Alchemist

Arcane
By the way, I possess means to extract graphics from a large number of classic early 90s RPGs. So, if you want to fight the newfag decline yelping and demanding their shit custom avatards to be reinstated, leave requests and I'll see what I can do to improve our monocled galleries. If I couldn't be bothered to screencap and crop them myself (that's a lot of work), I would provide files and instructions to do so.
Do you have graphics extractors for Might & Magic III - IV - V by any chance? I was thinking of improving our M&M selection in the gallery. I'd be happy to do the grunt work of processing if I can get a hold of the raw images.

mondblut

Arcane
Do you have graphics extractors for Might & Magic III - IV - V by any chance? I was thinking of improving our M&M selection in the gallery. I'd be happy to do the grunt work of processing if I can get a hold of the raw images.

Yep. In fact, I was messing with MM3 just yesterday, but had issues with screencapping.

Alchemist

Arcane

Yep. In fact, I was messing with MM3 just yesterday, but had issues with screencapping.
Cool.. if you could post a link to the extractor / process I'd appreciate it. I want to dig into the creature sprites and environment tiles to put together some avatars.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
It's an RPG from Japan that has anime graphics?
Do yourself a favor and ask DU to give you the 'Possibly Retarded' tag.
"Rance (ランス Ransu?) is a series of Japan-exclusive eroge role-playing video games by Alice Soft featuring the title character, Rance."

That's what Wikipedia says.
If you had any bloody idea what are you talking about you would know that Sengoku Rance is an SRPG and you are quoting the series as a whole.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Nothing says "little bitch" on the 'dex more than saying something wrong, then insisting you're not wrong, and then insulting someone when called out on it. Grade A GD material right there.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Nothing says "little bitch" on the 'dex more than saying something wrong, then insisting you're not wrong, and then insulting someone when called out on it. Grade A GD material right there.

If he was simply pointing out something - no problem. But since he chose to go with the insults, I insulted back.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

If he was simply pointing out something - no problem. But since he chose to go with the insults, I insulted back.
Internet Defense 101 - "But he insulted me, therefore his every other point is invalid."

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Lady Error has been a certified idiot for quite some time now, no idea why you guises are shocked or something.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Internet Defense 101 - "But he insulted me, therefore his every other point is invalid."

I didn't say that your point is invalid. But since it came with an insult, you can expect insults back...

Lady Error has been a certified idiot for quite some time now, no idea why you guises are shocked or something.

Let the circlejerk begin...

mondblut

Arcane
nevar forget

Well, first of all Gothic is not 1st person.
Oh please. Whether you look at his butt or not, it is still a 1st person 3D game.

He does have a point though. How is it anywhere mechanically different whether the camera is sticked to the top of player character's model (yes, I know there isn't really any character model, it is just floating in the air in its place) or 100 pixels behind it? It still follows the character like a part of his body and always points exactly where he looks. Heck, half the first person games have a "vanity mode" which does exactly that, and many of them allow playing while in it. Do Oblivion and Fallout 3 suddenly stop being FP games because of that?

As far as principal difference goes, 3rd person camera would mean giving a significant view of stuff beyond the character's vision. Character's butt alone is not significant enough. So, OTS view is indeed a glorified FP view, not a 3rd person view proper.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
He does have a point though. How is it anywhere mechanically different whether the camera is sticked to the top of player character's model or 100 pixels behind it?
Try getting into melee combat in 3rd person view. Try to treat it as if it's first person and the enemy must be in contact with you the camera and not your PC when you swing. You might notice some very slight mechanical differences.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Sengoku Rance is an SRPG

A Japanese SRPG is a form of a JRPG, so your whole point that it cannot be called that is stretching it. Of course there are "pure" JRPG, but a Japanese SRPG like Sengoku Rance is still a subtype of Japanese RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom