Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avatar Gallery Submission Thread

Do you care about custom avatars?

• Yes, and I want something done about it.

Votes: 314 54.1%
  • No, just leave it the way it is.

Votes: 266 45.9%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Crooked Bee
Moar Expeditions: Conquistador avatars fresh from the photoshop oven, 44 in total and same size as the existing ones. Plz add.
http://www.filedropper.com/expeditions-conquistador

samples:
dvHF259.jpg
2VW9zjY.jpg
FHwGCSb.jpg
qG6uCqB.jpg
Wc6VZpp.jpg
ThfSw1Y.jpg

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

CorpseZeb

Learned
Well, cats was good, also those helmeted one was spectacular but bald gentlemen's aren't bad.

Ps. ... voted for lack of custom avatars, because now there is nice uniformity feeling around. All of the RPG' children.

Ps2. ... no to mention about educational aspect!

Severian Silk

What happened to the Freedom Force avatars? I know I created a bunch of them a long time ago.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
It turns out that the BloodNet avatars, like the one I'm using, are in the wrong aspect ratio.

Ex. Instead of this :
8994.jpg

It should be this :
WWhWALp.png

Ex.2. Instead of this :
16993.jpg

It should be this :
x1eRsem.png

I'm a BloodNet veteran, so I can go through the game easily, get the portraits, and remake them, if it's okay. I have an additional question, though: what's the accepted dimention range for avatars? How big should they be? Should it be a square (like 96x96)? Or is rectangular okay?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Rectangles are fine. 96x wide and 96x high are the minimums for each dimension.

Rock 'N Roll Racing! It has stats and shopping for equipment and isometric view and lots of other stuffies, it's totally a RPG.

Actually I just cropped them out of a picture with all the in-game portraits, kind of shoddy but better than nothing. In two sizes, since I don't know which is more appropriate (both sizes looks good to me):

This one contains smaller portraits, around 96 x 96 size.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/plwiej

edit: 96 is minimum for both dimensions? Oops, some of the smaller portraits won't work, then. Ignore the above link, I'll try to reupload in a few minutes...there. Now they're a bit bigger, but not as big as 125x125. Should be good.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2rq2mb

example:

CBJ0xP.jpg

This one contains them as I initially cropped them out of the pic, a bit bigger at around 125x125.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/500xwy

example:

05eL1y.jpg

The original pic, if anyone feels like doing a better job.

Siv0om.jpg

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
the bloodnet ones look worse on the that aspect ratio. Just a guess, but that was probably why they were adjusted

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
No, it has to do with the fact that back in the day, we all used CRT monitors which had rectangular pixels, but the games had square pixels. This meant that the footage would be stretched to 4:3, instead of the 16:10 (320x200 source) they were designed in. Most of the time, the developers designed graphics that would compensate for this, like in the case of bloodnet. Some didn't, like Neuromancer. We don't see this today because our monitors use square pixels. Example:

dbf2pNV.png

The source footage is 320x200, but here I resized it x2 with a nearest neighbor filter. Note how sculpture of the human body doesn't look aesthetically correct, like the proportions are off. Now see the footage resized to 640x480, to 4:3.

T9tlFTU.png

See how it looks correct now? It all has to do with the aspect ratio. Most likely, ghostdog (who I believe made the avatars) wasn't aware of this and thus didn't know to correct the aspect ratio from the 16:10 it runs in. His BloodNet LP was just the 320x200 source footage resized by a factor of 1.5.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
If people like the portraits in the wrong aspect ratio, I can still add to the options with portraits ghostdog didn't capture.

ptaILf0.png

Crane

Arcane
Patron
It's 'wrong' because the graphics were designed with the CRT stretching in mind. Very few games were designed without that in mind. Neuromancer is one such exception (and the only one I can think of off the top of my head)

neuromancer_3.gif

An easy way to tell that the graphics were designed to be in 16:10 is that the square UI buttons (46x46) are only square when the aspect ratio is 16:10.

Believe me, I would tell you if i was pulling your leg. Crooked Bee compensated for the incorrect aspect ratio in the introduction of her Gateway LP.

01gateway53.png

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I know how the Codex generally feels about JRPGs, but Final Fantasy Tactics is a legitimately good game. I was going to throw together some avatars out of portraits back when I was doing a LP of the insane difficulty patch, but my computer getting stolen pretty much ruined that plan. Anyway, threw these together on a whim:
http://archaicsoft.com/dev/avatars.rar

Featuring all 207 portraits the final fantasy wiki had, which look to be pretty much every portrait in the game. They're cropped to be at least 96px wide, jpg png format.

Last edited:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Because jpg is the default image format in irfanview when I batch resized the images and transparency didn't even occur to me. Fixing now.

Xor

Arcane
OK, try this again. 96x144px, png format with transparency. Updated the archive in my earlier post, and here are the same avatars horizontally flipped so they look right instead of left. Up to you which version you like better:
http://archaicsoft.com/dev/avatarsFlipped.rar

FFT_Agrias_Oaks_Portrait.png
vs
FFT_Agrias_Oaks_PortraitH.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom