Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avatar Gallery Submission Thread

Do you care about custom avatars?

• Yes, and I want something done about it.

Votes: 315 53.9%
  • No, just leave it the way it is.

Votes: 269 46.1%

• Total voters

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The smaller one, but looking to the right. :3

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The smaller one was the wrong size, I grabbed it from the wrong folder and fixed it when I noticed.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I see Satan is a fellow SA LP connoisseur! (That sounds funny on so many levels.)

If people like the portraits in the wrong aspect ratio, I can still add to the options with portraits ghostdog didn't capture.

ptaILf0.png

Hey, could you re-capture all portraits in png? 'Cause the ones we currently have are jpegs and look blurry as fuck.

As for the aspect ratio, I do agree with you in general but not in this case: the stretched portraits you posted look, well, too stretched somehow. Perhaps it just doesn't work for this game and/or outside of the context of the whole pic.

OK, try this again. 96x144px, png format with transparency. Updated the archive in my earlier post, and here are the same avatars horizontally flipped so they look right instead of left. Up to you which version you like better:
http://archaicsoft.com/dev/avatarsFlipped.rar

FFT_Agrias_Oaks_Portrait.png
vs
FFT_Agrias_Oaks_PortraitH.png

Those look kinda stretched to me. What resolution are you capturing them at? The game should run in native res (i.e. 640x480 I guess?), preferably, and the original captured images should be pngs.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Rectangles are fine. 96x wide and 96x high are the minimums for each dimension.

Rectangles are fine... except I have to make them square by adding transparent background anyway. Because who knows how fucked up xenforo can become with yet another update!

Random

Arcane
Patron
Is Earthbound a no-no game? Or should I get more than five avatars for it (there are plenty of games that have under ten avatars...)?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Is Earthbound a no-no game? Or should I get more than five avatars for it (there are plenty of games that have under ten avatars...)?

We do have Mother 3 avatars, so...

Re: galleries with under ten avatars -- I hate those galleries, personally. So the more avatars you can crop, the better.

Just be sure to crop from original native res png images.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
if you're going to do FFT add the new (PSP) Tactics ogre portraits and tarot cards too

Last edited:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
I see Satan is a fellow SA LP connoisseur! (That sounds funny on so many levels.)

If people like the portraits in the wrong aspect ratio, I can still add to the options with portraits ghostdog didn't capture.

ptaILf0.png

Hey, could you re-capture all portraits in png? 'Cause the ones we currently have are jpegs and look blurry as fuck.

Sure, I'll get around to it sometime in the coming days, probably. Just for context, here's what a screenshot from bloodnet in 4:3 with the portraits looks like:

BN12-103.png

But I'll go ahead and get them in 16:10. Looking through the existing options, there are a few avatars that ghostdog made from images (not portraits) in bloodnet. I won't try to replace those. I can include them in the zip file, so they don't get deleted forever.

Severian Silk

It turns out that the BloodNet avatars, like the one I'm using, are in the wrong aspect ratio.

Ex. Instead of this :
8994.jpg

It should be this :
WWhWALp.png

Ex.2. Instead of this :
16993.jpg

It should be this :
x1eRsem.png

I'm a BloodNet veteran, so I can go through the game easily, get the portraits, and remake them, if it's okay. I have an additional question, though: what's the accepted dimention range for avatars? How big should they be? Should it be a square (like 96x96)? Or is rectangular okay?
The short ones look better/more realistic.

I know how the Codex generally feels about JRPGs, but Final Fantasy Tactics is a legitimately good game. I was going to throw together some avatars out of portraits back when I was doing a LP of the insane difficulty patch, but my computer getting stolen pretty much ruined that plan. Anyway, threw these together on a whim:
http://archaicsoft.com/dev/avatars.rar

Featuring all 207 portraits the final fantasy wiki had, which look to be pretty much every portrait in the game. They're cropped to be at least 96px wide, jpg png format.

No.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
I gave the technical explanation two or so posts after that one. But I'll get them in 16:10 since that's what people prefer for whatever reason.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Just for context, here's what a screenshot from bloodnet in 4:3 with the portraits looks like:
What makes it really obvious 4:3 is the correct aspect ratio is the font, I think. It looks just right, whereas in 16:10 it looks distorted. Interesting about Neuromancer though, I didn't know it was meant to be in 16:10 (and of course that meant everyone who played it back then played it squished).

Crane

Arcane
Patron
I had a pocket of free time tonight, so I went ahead and got all of the portraits in BloodNet, resized them 2x with nearest neighbor, and made them squares with png transparency.

Link

(Backup)

Some of them are pretty obviously squished because they're still in 16:10. I included the custom avatars ghostdog made so they wouldn't be deleted. Does that work?

Also, goddamn, ghostdog, how did you resist including this one:

txjMbcA.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom